• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Kind of a dryslot punching up into Central PA now, far northern edge is encroaching on Central NY. Interesting feature.  Along with the curve in the R/S line down in WPA, assumedly associated with  the sfc lp as @DeltaT13 noted.

Just measured...0.74" rain thusfar and 45F currently. 

20201224_231351.jpg

45 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I'm not a big snowpack guy. There is something special about watching it fall. The upcoming pattern is definitely the one for me. Snow and thaw for the next few weeks.

Perfect for you Buffalo guys because you can still get the LES on mostly these SW winds on the backside of all these cutters. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Perfect for you Buffalo guys because you can still get the LES on mostly these SW winds on the backside of all these cutters. 

Last Xmas my records show we had 1.5" on 12/24 and another 1.0" Xmas morning.  Back in 2018 we were saved by a rare local WNW LES flow and had 5.8" overnight Xmas Eve into the morning. That saved our bacon and was so cool.  In 2017 we had 2.0" on 12/24  & 2.5" Xmas a.m.  Can't luck out every year.

Edit: 2016 had 5" on ground Xmas a.m..  2014 & 2015 were also 0.0" snow depth on Xmas morning also. Just perusing my Cocorahs records. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Last Xmas my records show we had 1.5" on 12/24 and another 1.0" Xmas morning.  Back in 2018 we were saved by a rare local WNW LES flow and had 5.8" overnight Xmas Eve into the morning. That saved our bacon and was so cool.  In 2017 we had 2.0" on 12/24  & 2.5" Xmas a.m.  Can't luck out every year.

Is that right?. I just looked back and KROC had a positive departure both days with a high of 39 and then 48 Christmas Day. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Is this the 3rd storm this year you guys thought nothing was coming and ended up jack-potting? The theme of this year is the storm goes 50-100 miles further west than modeled last minute. Definitely Torontos winter so far. What are you guys at so far?

YYZ is at almost 20" on the season before this storm. Where I live is in Haldimand County, about 15-20 minutes south of Hamilton. Ive received about 14" so far. 

The big difference was that storm earlier in the year where YYZ and most of the GTA got 7-11". I managed a decent 2-3" slop and then rain. That storm alone accounts for much of the disparity. 

Biggest storm of the year so far for me was 15.5cm or about 6". Im at a little over 3" fallen so far (taken about an hour ago) and it looks like this should end up my biggest storm of the year so far. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeltaT13 said:

Is that right?. I just looked back and KROC had a positive departure both days with a high of 39 and then 48 Christmas Day. 

I just updated my post. But yeah those snowfall values are what I recorded....measured in a.m.  which year were you referring to?

18 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

2019.  Rochester had 0 precip and well above normal temps. It sucked. 

You are right!  I was looking at the wrong column!  I had 0 new snow 12/24-12/26/19 but we went from 2.0 to 1.5 to 1.0" o.g. each day so we were melting off each day and temps were mild 40s.  I thought last Xmas was mild but then I looked at my recorded data incorrectly!  Thx!

Edit: So basically 2014, 2015, 2019 (iffy ?) , 2020 snowless.  2016, 2017, 2018 had snow on ground >1" with 2017 & 2018 having 2.5" & 5.8" new snow on Xmas morning, respectively. Here.

Edit edit: 2016 had 5.0" o.g. on 12/25 but we were melting off an inch a day from 12/24-26.  Temps hit 50 on 12/26 & 12/27 that year at KSYR, so we were white but hanging on for dear life...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

You're right the line isn't moving much =/

image.thumb.png.413a70b227ce1464ccb4424723ad3f80.png

It won’t budge until that surface low is up and parallel with us. Then it will just roar east and northeast. But the moisture is pretty sparse by then. It’s all timing so we at least have a shot still (of having a coating that is)

20 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Doesn't look like it on cam but pretty close to heavy snow here. Going to measure at 1 AM for 4 hour measurement. Had 1.2" at 11 pm. Going to wipe it clean and measure the rest in the morning.

WUNIDS_map?num=20&type=N0R&mapx=400&mapy

Very cool and glad Buffalo is getting some snow for a change.  Wanna know what is not cool?  I went to your webcam and saw two people shoveling. So just my PO

A) not that much snow that warrants shoveling- there is like 2”- would prefer a snow angel.

B ) shoveling snow anytime last 10pm is just obnoxious if you have neighbors with little ones.

Enjoy and Merry F’in XMas!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SyracuseStorm said:

Very cool and glad Buffalo is getting some snow for a change.  Wanna know what is not cool?  I went to your webcam and saw two people shoveling. So just my PO

A) not that much snow that warrants shoveling- there is like 2”- would prefer a snow angel.

B ) shoveling snow anytime last 10pm is just obnoxious if you have neighbors with little ones.

Enjoy and Merry F’in XMas!

haha yes I agree. Worry about it tomorrow morning. It is the wettest snow in quite awhile has to be 1:6 ratios. Merry xmas everyone

3 minutes ago, WNash said:

We’re up to 3.5”, pure paste. I was up late assembling a dollhouse for my three year old. She loves snow, and is going to think that this is just what happens on Christmas. 

Today is a good day. I'm going sledding tomorrow afternoon with the family at chestnut ridge, our yearly tradition. Most years we cannot do it due to no snow. Got lucky this year.

• Like 1

Up early this year (dogs not kids for once) eyeballing 5 to 6 and still snowing. A little pessimistic about the lake effect later tonight and tomorrow as the NWS says it’s not sure how far north the band will make it but looking at 6 to 12 if it does late tomorrow morning into the afternoon...wait and see I suppose