• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

13 minutes ago, tim123 said:

Throw in sleet and freezing rain too. If you wanna bite on that. I could see a brief period of sleet freezing rain. Bout not hours of it like meso models show.

No way, this is going to be a heavy rain to heavy snow transition because of the isothermal lift...gonna plaster everything.

From the 18z NAM, you'll see the thermal front goes through between 0z and 3z, temps drop from 44 to 35, then 33. I think we'll see the changeover in the mid-30s - leading to a few extra hours of snowfall.

I believe the momentum of the cold air forces this even more east.

3 minutes ago, vortmax said:

If cold air was already established, yes, but in this situation, we need it a bit more east. Since this is riding up a cold front, it's tendency is to hold the front up a bit on the north side of the LP.

Good point. We are still right on the taint line. It’s gonna be amazing or not. Lol. Sure was great watching that NAM bow to the GFS!

1 minute ago, rochesterdave said:

Good point. We are still right on the taint line. It’s gonna be amazing or not. Lol. Sure was great watching that NAM bow to the GFS!

Also we don't want the low to get too strong as to hold up the cold air. However, I think the biggest potential surprise is that dynamic lifting...really banking on that helping our white Christmas!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Ehhh. Are we gonna discount all the high grade meso models? 

Just because they are higher res, doesn't mean they are more accurate - I mean, they are spitting out a lot of mix/ZR and we know that's not likely going to happen.  I'd bet they''ll show a more east track 24hrs from the event.

From Reddit:

The 12km NAM has a resolution of 12km and the 3km NAM has a resolution of 3km. But to give more specifics:

The NAM is a specific implementation of the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model. WRF supports the use of "nesting": You have a larger, "parent" domain run at fairly low resolution, and one or more "nested" domains at higher resolution. The model runs a calculation for one timestep of the parent domain, then those conditions are interpolated down to the nest domains, they run the calculations on the high-resolution nests for a few timesteps, then interpolate that final result back up to the parent domain, calculate a timestep, and so on.

The main advantage of running the model this way (instead of just running at 3km resolution across the whole domain) is that we can put a lot more computational power into modeling phenomena over the areas we care about, rather than wasting a compute time by modeling the atmosphere at very high resolution over the open ocean (for example) where we don't care so much about the fine-scale details of the weather.

I believe the only difference aside from resolution is that the convective parameterization schemes may be modified or turned off in the 3km dom

• Like 1

3k NAM never does well with the precip shields.  I can think of many times this summer when it showed a scraggly precip field or frontal passage only for us to get completely crushed with heavy rain that looked nothing like the 3k depiction.  You're better off looking at the 12k model which does a better job of smoothing and averaging the precip IMO. 

• Like 2