Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

1 hour ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Just a comment:  Usually when posters here say that they don't want extreme weather "x", I don't believe it, only because I don't believe it when those same words come out of my own mouth.  Instinctively we all seem to actually want to see it no matter what we are saying/typing.   Even ice storms - I say I don't want it, but when the temperature eventually gets above 32, and it turns to plain 'ol rain, and the ice starts melting off the cars, if I'm being honest I have to admit that I feel a little sad.   That's a problem, right?

I cant stand severe weather because I've lost extremely expensive equipment over it.  That needs to stay in the sparsely populated parts of the country.

1 hour ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Northshore Ski Bowl was open for business this afternoon and evening.  Backyard skiing with a few inches of powder over a 12" base.  I will learn to ski those trees, I will learn to ski those trees, I will learn to ski those trees...

20210212_171710e.jpg

20210212_174923e.jpg

20210212_175016e.jpg

20210212_175734e.jpg

those trails look really nice, Ed, I just hope you wear a helmet because you can't ever be too safe

2 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Northshore Ski Bowl was open for business this afternoon and evening.  Backyard skiing with a few inches of powder over a 12" base.  I will learn to ski those trees, I will learn to ski those trees, I will learn to ski those trees...

20210212_171710e.jpg

20210212_174923e.jpg

20210212_175016e.jpg

20210212_175734e.jpg

:thumbsup: 

The Target near the New York Ave/Jericho Tpke intersection is the go to sledding area in my immediate backyard. Significant difference in snowpack between the Smithtown and Islip ends of Rt 111 today as you would expect. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I cant stand severe weather because I've lost extremely expensive equipment over it.  That needs to stay in the sparsely populated parts of the country.

“Severe” weather I experienced on LI is nothing like actual severe weather in Austin that’s for sure. But yes this is essentially a BECS upcoming for snow and cold in TX. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yes. It was -3 on January 19, 1994.

I remember flying in from TX during the Feb 2016 cold snap and absolutely freezing when I got off the plane. It was in the mid 70s when I left and probably single digits at JFK. Coming back up from the south, the cold is hard to get back adjusted to. 

• Like 2

Just a comment:  Usually when posters here say that they don't want extreme weather "x", I don't believe it, only because I don't believe it when those same words come out of my own mouth.  Instinctively we all seem to actually want to see it no matter what we are saying/typing.   Even ice storms - I say I don't want it, but when the temperature eventually gets above 32, and it turns to plain 'ol rain, and the ice starts melting off the cars, if I'm being honest I have to admit that I feel a little sad.   That's a problem, right?

I love good snowstorms... but I abhor ice and very wet snows that take out power. I’ve lost power in the cold twice: October 2011 snow and March 6, 2018 snow (a foot and a half here)... and the house gets cold, fast.

Extreme weather that takes out your power and convenience sucks. End of story.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coastalplainsnowman said:

Agree but I'll also admit I've never really seen a damaging ice storm, in nyc it's usually a glaze on trees and colder surfaces.    

10 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

WSWatch for Houston.  Don't see that much

Can a red tagger who does top down forecasting visit the Texas subforum on the mid-West forum.  850 mb just above freezing and surface temps well below would seem to suggest mostly sleet on Euro for Houston, but the saturated level above the warm nose doesn't seem cold enough from what I heard for dendrites, and I am wondering if melted snowflakes required for sleet.  Enough QPF to be interesting even as sleet, but an inch of freezing rain would cripple any city, let alone one in the South that is 3 years removed from last freezing rain disaster.  (TXDOT pretreated highway overpasses and cloverleaf interchanges with CaCl2 brine solution, but heavy showers not well forecast just before the icing event washed it from the major highway flyovers, or they became skating rinks despite the best efforts).

OT- I followed Direct Energy's advice and called my pipes stupid.

DirectEnergy1.PNG

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jm1220 said:

“Severe” weather I experienced on LI is nothing like actual severe weather in Austin that’s for sure. But yes this is essentially a BECS upcoming for snow and cold in TX. 

I remember Dec 1989, it wasn't fun lol.  Cold and dry for a whole month with a brief break for a rainstorm (busted forecast of 8 inches of snow right up until the event), Dec 1989 avg temp of 25 and then we averaged 40 for both Jan and Feb, can you imagine that?  Best event of the year was the 6 inches that fell on Thanksgiving, we had a grand total of 4 inches after that for the rest of the season and barely made it to 10 inches total.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Did you see the PBS series where they were talking about having to cancel a traditional ski and skate event that used to take place every year because they just never had ice anymore and decided to move it to the Alps?  I guess the ice is back for this year at least.

15 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I remember flying in from TX during the Feb 2016 cold snap and absolutely freezing when I got off the plane. It was in the mid 70s when I left and probably single digits at JFK. Coming back up from the south, the cold is hard to get back adjusted to. 

that was VD when NYC had a lot of -1

15 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Yes. It was -3 on January 19, 1994.

The interesting thing is LGA didn't get affected by the Sound but JFK did.  Typically in early season snowstorms JFK beats LGA because the latter is right near the Sound.  I remember this was the case in October 2011 and to greater effect in the November 2012 storm.

23 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

The interesting thing is LGA didn't get affected by the Sound but JFK did.  Typically in early season snowstorms JFK beats LGA because the latter is right near the Sound.  I remember this was the case in October 2011 and to greater effect in the November 2012 storm.

A due north wind spends more time over the Long Island Sound for JFK than it does for LGA.

image.jpeg.b97336cc6b2aa86e76ce53a5bce264a6.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I remember Dec 1989, it wasn't fun lol.  Cold and dry for a whole month with a brief break for a rainstorm (busted forecast of 8 inches of snow right up until the event), Dec 1989 avg temp of 25 and then we averaged 40 for both Jan and Feb, can you imagine that?  Best event of the year was the 6 inches that fell on Thanksgiving, we had a grand total of 4 inches after that for the rest of the season and barely made it to 10 inches total.

And the winter of 89 wasn't much better, with a blown call of a big snowstorm in Jan where not one flake fell in the metro region.....

10 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

And the winter of 89 wasn't much better, with a blown call of a big snowstorm in Jan where not one flake fell in the metro region.....

yep got super warm around New Years and stayed warm the rest of the way.    Dec was bad as it was just bitter cold and dry-the pattern we have now is much better-cold but not brutal and a nice storm track around a weaker SE ridge

So far the coldest low and high temperature  in NYC this winter is 14°/25°. Houston has a chance to drop lower than that over the next few days.

HOUSTON METROPOLITAN AREA...
 HOUSTON
   Cloudy   Fzdrzl   Ptcldy   Fzrain   Mocldy   Sunny    Sunny
     /36    18/23    12/33    33/42    31/37    24/49    35/63
      /30    90/40    00/00    40/90    40/20    00/00    00/00
   0.19     0.33     0.00     1.03     0.11     0.00     0.00

• Like 2

At 11 am CST, frigid air continued to push into Texas. Select temperatures:

Amarillo: 0° (low so far: -1°)

Dallas-Fort Worth: 17°

Houston: 34°

Lubbock: 6° (low so far: 5°; old record: 12°, 2004)

The temperature in Houston will likely reach the teens tomorrow morning. The last time that happened was January 17, 2018 when the temperature fell to 19°. The last time before that was January 8, 1996 when the temperature also fell to 19°. Overall, Houston can expect its lowest temperature since December 24, 1989 when the mercury dipped to 11°.

Select temperature levels and most recent occurrences:

Amarillo:

< 0°: February 14, 2021: -1° (through 11 am CST)

< -1°: January 7, 2017: -3°

< -3°: February 10, 2011: -6°

< -6°: December 22, 1989: -8°

< -8°: February 11, 1986: -12°

< -12°: February 1, 1951: -14°

Dallas-Fort Worth:

< 16°: January 17, 2018: 13°

< 13°: February 4, 1996: 8°

< 8°: December 23, 1989: -1°

Houston:

< 20°: January 17, 2018: 19°

< 19°: December 24, 1989: 11°

Lubbock:

< 10°: February 14, 2021: 5° (through 11 am CST)

< 5°: January 1, 2018: 4°

< 4°: February 2, 2011: 2° 

< 2°: December 23, 1989: -1°

< -1°: December 22, 1989: -2°

< -2°: January 5, 1971: -4°

< -4°: January 13, 1963: -16°

• Like 1