Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020-2021 Banter

Rtd208

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Snowman19 is our good luck charm.   He's never to be banned.  I hope he trolls all of you every season. 

In the last ten days he has called winter over, declared no one would see 20 inches of snow from Mondays storm, and said todays storm was a typical 1-3 inch event. Strike three.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

In the last ten days he has called winter over, declared no one would see 20 inches of snow from Mondays storm, and said todays storm was a typical 1-3 inch event. Strike three.

It's not like he doesn't know what he's looking at.   He's just a stubborn mofo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rjay said:

Bx says I'm old bc I have no idea who the f**k these dudes performing during halftime are...But seriously though, who the hell are they?

they're big in Europe, my friends from there introduced me to them last year.  They aren't mainstream so aren't well known here.

No idea how they got the Super Bowl gig lol.

By the way how much snow did you get?  This was my favorite event of the season so far, sun rise to sun set pure fluff!

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

It's not like he doesn't know what he's looking at.   He's just a stubborn mofo. 

He needs to be introduced to this guy.  For Valentine's Day....they'd be a perfect match.  In the same thread he said that Albuquerque hasn't hit 60 degrees this winter while NYC has hit it numerous times lol.  I told him we're in a record streak of not even hitting 50 let alone 60 lol.

6 hours ago, raindancewx said:

Philadelphia only got 0.7 inches of snow today. Less for DC/Baltimore. That's consistent with the pattern of marginal temperatures (never dropped below freezing in Philadelphia today - that seemed pretty likely given the warmth yesterday) that's been there and south of Philly all winter. The snow totals for much of the east are near average or below for the date, despite a small area from central New England to NYC and North Central PA doing pretty well. 

My big theory for this winter has been that the cycles are well established at about 45-days. So the big Nor'easter cycle is:

late Oct-->mid Dec-->2/1-->mid March. Not really expecting any huge snow dumps until then. We'll see though. Temperatures start to climb as you get later in February even as the oceans are still getting colder. There was a lot of small crap that never really materialized as big snowstorms for the NE between mid-Dec and 2/1. That's where we are now I think.

15 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

This was supposed to be a snowy week 

It still might. There's so many shortwaves and model inconsistencies that snowier solution could pop in a couple model cycles. 

We just saw this on Sunday where models abandoned the storm only to bring it back a couple days before it happened and many still got it wrong the day of the event. 

That's why it's best to stay in the 36-48hr range to deal with every shortwave. I'm still pretty confident we get snows Thursday/Friday.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

It still might. There's so many shortwaves and model inconsistencies that snowier solution could pop in a couple model cycles. 

We just saw this on Sunday where models abandoned the storm only to bring it back a couple days before it happened and many still got it wrong the day of the event. 

That's why it's best to stay in the 36-48hr range to deal with every shortwave. I'm still pretty confident we get snows Thursday/Friday.

Icon shifted north lol

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_17.png

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_neus_18.png

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2021 at 10:27 PM, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

FWIW, someone else enjoying a snowstorm or being correct shouldn't take the shine off of yourself, know what I mean? We can all be wrong in life at times. I don't understand why I should be annoyed if someone who lives down the shore or up in the mountains enjoys something I can't enjoy at that very moment. 

Snow isn't frequent in Ireland.  Bathed in warm air from the north Atlantic, they get their coldest weather with east or even southeast winds off of the continent, which has been the case the past several days.  Most of their limited snowfall is OES, although parts may get significant synoptic scale snowfalls Thursday (Tersday) - Friday.  I found this guy's discussion fascinating, although he does seem to be hugging the Euro ;)

• Like 1

@wdrag.  We've actually never had the issue of having too many threats in such a short period of time before in this subforum.  I had to edit a couple of the topic dates to make it less confusing to the observers/posters.   It doesn't feel good to edit or touch your work but I did the best I could.  Make a February 18th storm thread when you feel it's time.   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

some parts of TX (Waco) have a winter storm warning and a winter storm watch at the same time...amazing cold and snow down there-Dallas will have single digit lows for a couple of nights coming up....

When was the last time dallas area saw single digit temps?

3 minutes ago, justinj said:

When was the last time dallas area saw single digit temps?

Austin’s low might get down to 10 on Monday night and they’re under a warning for sleet/ice. I experienced sleet and a glaze once when I lived there in 2015 but the lowest temp got down to 29-30 very briefly. That kind of cold is absurd for that area. Palm trees naturally grow there. 

Yep, insane cold and snow upcoming for Central TX, and today even up to 1/4" ice. Austin may have a high below 20 on Monday with 2-4" also possible!! That hasn't happened there in decades. It's essentially a 93-94 level cold airmass along with 24-30" blizzard equivalent for our area if not even worse.

Icy bridges, overpasses still possible as freezing rain winds down | KXAN Austin