Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I need a dopamine fix, and not seeing it.

I got some of it playing in the snow with the kids yesterday. Wife lost her phone..it got buried when I shoved her down the hill and she flipped over. We found it 2hrs later like a dog finds an avalanchee surivor but I had to find it or I was sleeping in the dog crate, in the basement...apparently it was my fault I gave her extra speed. 

But now...it’s back to tracking. Still hunting for that big one. That 18+ I haven’t experienced since Jan 11. That’s a long time for a SNE weenie. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I got some of it playing in the snow with the kids yesterday. Wife lost her phone..it got buried when I shoved her down the hill and she flipped over. We found it 2hrs later like a dog finds an avalanchee surivor but I had to find it or I was sleeping in the dog crate, in the basement...apparently it was my fault I gave her extra speed. 

But now...it’s back to tracking. Still hunting for that big one. That 18+ I haven’t experienced since Jan 11. That’s a long time for a SNE weenie. 

Yesterday was dissapointing, but I saw that coming about 5 days out.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That is a long time. It's coming.

John, I know you mentioned that there is a propensity for interior NE MA and SE NH to get into screw zones in the big KU events, and I agree. I have always said that. I think its two things:

1) Low level fronto often focuses near the coast, which increases the chance for subsidence in that area.

2) That phenomenon that you were mentioning with regard to the barrier jet advecting drier air in from Maine on a NNE flow.

I know someone like Will will tell me that everywhere gets screwed at one time or another, and that is true....but I do think that there are certain regional meso phenomena that make certain areas more prone than others.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah for SWFE, it won't matter too much. We know it will go west of us, bigger question is srfc low placement and possible change to liquid...if at all.

Yea..I meant for coastals and the big doggie potential. Both Mar 17 and yesterday was a low end of the range event because the h7 low tracked too far north even when qpf looked like 18” was possible. 

2 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea..I meant for coastals and the big doggie potential. Both Mar 17 and yesterday was a low end of the range event because the h7 low tracked too far north even when qpf looked like 18” was possible. 

Guidance is much better at resolving the low levels, than mid levels...we know this. Its why guidance often over estimates QPF to the east of the H7 low, and underestimates it to the northwest of it.

3 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

John, I know you mentioned that there is a propensity for interior NE MA to get into screw zones in the big KU events, and I agree. I have always said that. I think its two things:

1) Low level fronto often focuses near the coast, which increases the chance for subsidence in that area.

2) That phenomenon that you were mentioning with regard to the barrier jet advecting drier air in from Maine on a NNE flow.

I know someone like Will will tell me that everywhere gets screwed at one time or another, and that is true....but I do think that there are certain regional meso phenomena that make certain areas more prone than others.

I think those are valid points. Its definitely a possibilty when the mid-level deformation ends up to the W/NW. 

It doesn't always happen...but it can and does. We've had a pretty good run with deformation bands the past several years in the ORH-ASH corridor, probably due for a relative porking. 

8 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I think those are valid points. Its definitely a possibilty when the mid-level deformation ends up to the W/NW. 

It doesn't always happen...but it can and does. We've had a pretty good run with deformation bands the past several years in the ORH-ASH corridor, probably due for a relative porking. 

Yea, obviously not always....if the deformation is over the area, or the CF makes it further inland, then all bets are off.

But I have a sneaky hatred for the really cold events like yesterday for this very reason. First of all, snow will with greater liquid content is more athetically pleasing and has better retention. Secondly, cold events are going to pin the CF well to my southeast and increase odds for OES contribution, which both act to focus LL fronto away from me....and if you also miss mid level fronto, then what's left?

Basement totals-

14 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think we can now say with confidence that a 1975-1976 scenario is about the worst possible outcome.  You can essentially toss the wretched la nina analogs considering how the first half of December has evolved.

I know I've made some posts on this but it's becoming more evident that these 'ENSO analogs" we all used to live and die by have less merit and don't hold the weight they perhaps once did. There are numerous reasons for this I think and well...could actually be a fun idea for a thread some day. 

Just now, weatherwiz said:

I know I've made some posts on this but it's becoming more evident that these 'ENSO analogs" we all used to live and die by have less merit and don't hold the weight they perhaps once did. There are numerous reasons for this I think and well...could actually be a fun idea for a thread some day. 

Don't get me started again  ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm not debating this, but I'm not sure how a la nina season being front loaded is illustrative of your point.

14 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

What was your final total in Londonderry?

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not sure how a la nina sesaon being front loaded is illustrative of your point.

Just speaking in general terms. But too many just solely rely and focus on ENSO for long-range and well...as years have gone on and strides continue to be made with research IMO ENSO is more a back seat kina state as opposed to the driver. I mean sure a super strong ENSO event will probably be a main driver but these weaker events...they aren't the driver or focus of the pattern/evolution as either they once seemed or once used to be. A big player in this is just oceanic heat content in general. For example, take a look at the 1981-2010 climo means compared to the previous base...some weak La Nina events then are literally like a "neutral now". I think there are a couple warm-neutral ENSO events that are now classified as weak NIno too