• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

Met1985

Leaf season appears to be over between Boone and Grandfather at this point. It was all browned out past peak with a lot of bare trees. Any color that was still present was dull. Glad I caught it on the 12th. None the less I enjoyed the fall air. Time to see how it turns at Hanging Rock next.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

Nice video man!  I still say drones are cheating...you're hang supposed to hang glide for that shot man.

Hahaha the winds were pretty gusty up there for the drone as it was. I am sure that would have been an adventure to say the least

• Like 1

Next year we will do the Blue Ridge on Fall Break. Seems to go 7-10 days earlier than Tennessee or even the Smokys, timed with fall break. Those pics on the Parkway are stunning. Even the cloudy day the trees pop out. 

Here is Saturday October 17 on the Cherohala Skyway. Pictures are taken from just inside NC at about 4,500 FT. Higher was well past peak. Lower was green. Past weekend only a thin 500 FT section was peaking. We enjoyed that elevation quite well. I suspect the 3,000-4,000 FT area will be great this coming weekend on the Tennessee side.

mountain.thumb.jpg.c075204c02d6e2aab00dca0b80a7777c.jpg

ridges.thumb.jpg.72a8293c031b1507dc1b318087b7bbb1.jpg

trail.thumb.jpg.99b48bf620a57d2084b34a2d1500b3c0.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Met1985 said:

Enjoy the warm weather. Its going to last for a while. 

I know it isn't popular in these parts but especially after staying winter until mid-May I don't mind this bit of Indian summer.  This Fall has been great compared to the scorch fest last year!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Moonhowl said:

I know it isn't popular in these parts but especially after staying winter until mid-May I don't mind this bit of Indian summer.  This Fall has been great compared to the scorch fest last year!

This is a 180 from last fall where it was warm early, got cool toward the end of October through Mid-November and then flipped back to warm for December where we were in the mid-60s on Christmas. I can handle a warm (relative) November if in exchange we get a true fall and Christmas (one of which has already verified).

Let's hope this warmth is a good thing.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Looking at the pattern ahead and the teleconnections I think November is toast for the most part. 

Not necessarily a bad thing if you want cold around Christmas, as I've been alluding to. Eventually the teleconnections will lead to a cold pattern for us at some point, as we've seen this fall. When you look back at last year and how we got cold toward the middle to end of October, we ultimately went into November colder than we left it, which carried into a scorcher of a December. It's been a great fall, I think I can sacrifice a November for a good pattern flip coming in the dead of winter.

image.thumb.png.e69d9760e677ef8483cb5576c01af892.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Not necessarily a bad thing if you want cold around Christmas, as I've been alluding to. Eventually the teleconnections will lead to a cold pattern for us at some point, as we've seen this fall. When you look back at last year and how we got cold toward the middle to end of October, we ultimately went into November colder than we left it, which carried into a scorcher of a December. It's been a great fall, I think I can sacrifice a November for a good pattern flip coming in the dead of winter.

image.thumb.png.e69d9760e677ef8483cb5576c01af892.png

Oh I agree. Ill take a warm November to actually lead us into hopefully a pattern change in December and climatology speaking a better chance for wintery precipitation. 

16 minutes ago, Met1985 said:

Yeah the euro does bring down some colder air but nothing sustained with the way the NAO and AO are. We will get fronts coming through much I do think we hedge on above normal. 

Agreed but we can never have too much cold air building to our north. Looks like we'll rely on wedge fronts for reprieve during an overall warm pattern in November. I'll take that.

1 hour ago, Hvward said:

Some very strong winds showing up on most models Thursday afternoon around WNC.  Euro latched on to this solution yesterday and it appears that all other have fallen suite.  Looks like the core of Zeta moves right through WNC.  Anyways, batten down the hatches!

Given the current NHC track I was concerned about the wind around here.  We would have had a chance to actually get a bit of a dry spell this Fall if it were not for the tropics; at least it keeps fire season in check.  Those poor folks on the Gulf coast have been hammered; at least this one will be a little east of the last two in the region.