• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Bluewater Performance
    Newest Member
    Bluewater Performance

2020/2021 Fall/Winter Mountain thread

56 minutes ago, Buckethead said:

It's already 60 here at 4400' in Wolf! Think I'm taking the kayak out today on the N. Toe.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Water levels are good, have fun!

• Like 1

Water levels are good, have fun!

That was more of a workout then I remember it being! Paddled about a mile upstream and relaxed on an island and fished for a while. Caught a few small bass and bream, but nothing worthy of a photo. That sun felt great before the clouds rolled in!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

That was more of a workout then I remember it being! Paddled about a mile upstream and relaxed on an island and fished for a while. Caught a few small bass and bream, but nothing worthy of a photo. That sun felt great before the clouds rolled in!

Nice! I got my son out today on the Greenway here in Marion. Talked to a game warden, he said the walleye are running now out of Lake James. If I have time one evening I'm going to try my luck. 

• Like 2

https://www.hcpress.com/news/active-winter-season-has-dropped-over-two-feet-of-snow-in-boone-with-just-under-three-weeks-of-winter-remaining.html?fbclid=IwAR00qvOVXVzLsa8h_jLtscXm6xmvSd7_aEVZTYIxRw37ghiB9eVSljr9iCw

Coldest Temperatures This Winter

Beech Mountain: 0 degrees (December 26)

Blowing Rock: 7 degrees (December 26)

Boone: 9 degrees (December 26)

Deep Gap: 10 degrees (December 26)

Linville: 5.4 degrees (December 26)

Sugar Mountain: -1 Degree (December 26)

Valle Crucis: 9.7 degrees (December 26)

West Jefferson: 8.9 degrees (December 26)

Snow Totals This Winter

Beech Mountain: 52.7 inches

Boone: 25.7 inches

Sugar Mountain: 78.5 inches

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nchighcountrywx said:

Snow Totals This Winter

Beech Mountain: 52.7 inches

Boone: 25.7 inches

Sugar Mountain: 78.5 inches

LOL.  Sugar with 25 more inches than Beech.  Looks like Gunther's ruler could be acting up again.  Might want to get that thing checked out! 

• Like 2

Good spot to be for this weekend’s storm. Who knows, I’ve seen crazier trends. That northern stream could very well carry a bit more moisture. Models are showing specs of precip. Something to certainly watch.

• Like 4

Interest setup as well Wednesday morning, GFS has trend two degrees cooler over the past couple of runs around AVL. Looks like a slight warm nose could allow a quick burst of snow to reach the surface. NAM had snowfall for many but 3km NAM didn’t show the same profile. Will be interested to see how the 0z NAM suited come in here soon.

• Like 4

32 at the house this morning. I see GSP is forecasting light snow tonight into tomorrow morning across the Southern Mountains. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rainforrest said:

Getting a pretty heavy snow shower atm. 

Awesome. Yeah I think this moisture is going to make it a little further north than forecasted. Keep us updated. 

Frost was heavy in Maggie this morning. I'm loving the dry weather and comfortable days with plentiful sunshine!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyler Penland said:

Nice lee trough action may get North Georgia some light snow in the morning. GFS/Euro/NAM all showing it. Pretty classic look. Nice surprise for them.

Yeah how many times do we see that and in such a small area.

55 minutes ago, Local Yokel Wx said:

Parkway is back open and found some light snow around 9am. Looks like most of the parkway picked up a skiff overnight. 

This was taken nearby Devil's Courthouse/Beech Gap/Hwy 215 

Nice; I just happened to be parking by the gate when the ranger opened it to the Craggy Gardens Visitor Center yesterday.  I ended up being the first car up there after opening the gate; the second car arrived about a minute after me.  Numerous times my wife and I hiking or myself on the bicycle have been on a closed section of the Parkway and they opened it.  I was always amazed at how quickly the cars followed.  This time it was me LOL.

image.png.05c0bf06301e675c754eaaa193e7546e.png

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Moonhowl said:

Nice; I just happened to be parking by the gate when the ranger opened it to the Craggy Gardens Visitor Center yesterday.  I ended up being the first car up there after opening the gate; the second car arrived about a minute after me.  Numerous times my wife and I hiking or myself on the bicycle have been on a closed section of the Parkway and they opened it.  I was always amazed at how quickly the cars followed.  This time it was me LOL.

There is a slight celebration feel to it. I def was not the first, there were many cars at overlooks taking advantage of the open trailheads but everyone was excited for it be back open. 

• Like 2

I had a low of 23 this morning. Already down to 35 this evening. My snowfall amount this winter is roughly 22 inches. I'm ready for Spring. Thankful for the dry weather lately. Mud has dried up and I am ready for the time change next weekend!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

Are you still on the mountain@SnoJoe? I saw that someone over your way decided that yesterday was a good day to burn their yard off. That could've been bad.

They're also doing a prescribed burn around Lake James. I bet it's smoky over that way today.

6 hours ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

They're also doing a prescribed burn around Lake James. I bet it's smoky over that way today.

Not me. I'm out of town for a couple of weeks. Doesn't surprise me though. A man a few years ago burnt down his barn because he was "getting rid of the extra hay and thought burning it would be faster than shoveling it out." :arrowhead:

Edit - Meant to quote Bucket.

8 hours ago, BlueRidgeFolklore said:

Doing the same around Fontana 

Not as smoky as a few weeks ago when they did another burn in that area. Looks like our old friend the wet pattern is coming back next week 

Well fellas I believe it's over for most of us now. Wouldn't rule out some snow about 3,500 but think it's full blown spring for most of us. 

I give this winter a C. It would have been lower due to the amount of busts but I did get to see snow fall on multiple occasions and that's always a win.