• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LostInSomers
    Newest Member
    LostInSomers

September 2020 General Discussion

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

Generally one of the most zzz weather months of the year.

Maybe we can get a good fire season around here if this keeps up.  :arrowhead:

• Haha 2
  • Weenie 2

5 minutes ago, roardog said:

When was the last time the region had a September with below normal temps? 2012? It feels like it's been awhile.

27 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Looking like average temps for September for the CFS in its "good" range. Welcome fall!

La Nina Septembers are hit-or-miss but they typically mean more ups and downs than consistent warmth or consistent cold through-out the month. So average sounds right. 

4 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Guess we'll have to busy ourselves tracking more hurricanes...although @ldub23 says there's too much SAL.

That guy is an idiot and/or troll.

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

This time last year we were only 2 months away from tracking what would be a pretty nice early season snow event.  

it's crazy to think that it's only been 3.5 months since I've had snow and the first flakes of the next season may only be 1.5 month away. I know, I know :weenie:

1 minute ago, michsnowfreak said:

it's crazy to think that it's only been 3.5 months since I've had snow and the first flakes of the next season may only be 1.5 month away. I know, I know :weenie:

Same here, last flakes fell on May 10th, which is the latest I can remember for here since I've been alive.  You guys have a good shot at getting some flakes from the lakes early on, so chances of early flakes there def are better than here.  We always need to get lucky and get some sort of early season event, or a big lakes storm with a large backlash of snow flurries.  The early season backlash flurries are almost always modeled too far south in the mid-range, only to pull further to the north/east as the event gets closer.  

8 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Generally one of the most zzz weather months of the year.

The jet stream can give us a decent secondary severe weather season, especially the further north you go in the subforum typically.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Same here, last flakes fell on May 10th, which is the latest I can remember for here since I've been alive.  You guys have a good shot at getting some flakes from the lakes early on, so chances of early flakes there def are better than here.  We always need to get lucky and get some sort of early season event, or a big lakes storm with a large backlash of snow flurries.  The early season backlash flurries are almost always modeled too far south in the mid-range, only to pull further to the north/east as the event gets closer.  

What was incredible in May is that it snowed on 5 consecutive days (May 8-12), complete with heavy snow and legit Winter wonderland conditions for a few hours each side of midnight May 10/11. As for October, historically it's a 50/50 shot for seeing the 1st snowflakes, however 7 of the last 8 Octobers have seen snow. Prior to that, 9 of the previous 10 Octobers saw no snow. So it's very hit-and-miss, lately it's been a hit.  I generally say, and I mean it honestly, October is the month I enjoy all the fall color then November 1st let it snow. However any time there's temptation of seeing snowflakes in October, I get excited.

The jet stream can give us a decent secondary severe weather season, especially the further north you go in the subforum typically.

Not in September. Has always been a zzz month.

It really is nuts how "short" this summer has been. Having freezing temps just 17 weeks ago and now seeing that 540 line pop up on the GFS is pretty surreal. I don't think we've ever had September snow around here, maybe some flakes. I've got to wait at least 10 weeks for any of that.

Since I am always on the prowl for 90 in September...

Hopefully we can have a slow enough fropa on Thursday to have a shot at one.

While guidance differs on the specifics of the system later today/tomorrow, a general theme is for pockets/swaths of heavier precip with a favored area somewhere near or south of I-80.  We'll see.

Not only a September ending with below-normal temperatures is overdue, but a September without a 90 is also overdue. The last time DAY went without a 90-degree day in September was in 2012. With also a wet start to the month expected, Septembers 2011 and 2012 would be matching analogs.

Records may be out of reach for the most part as the 4th has some particularly cold ones, but this would still be impressive for areas west of Lake Michigan.

sfct.us_mw.thumb.png.c167cb4efd0d1d920b4a6de775b15093.png

And lol at Chicago.  What wind there is is progged offshore so this is all UHI on here.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Hey guys, look at that slug of rain/storms in IL!

Cue Alek miss south stank.

Gonna end up with <0.10" for most areas.