Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2020-21 Discussion

CAPE

5 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ohhh I see it alright....but as I said, it's bad enough to have the bad data in front of us. I don't get how poking fun of it and pretending to enjoy things going bad even more ain't salt in the wound.

We could be looking at the prospect of losing something in life we've all enjoyed (or at least seeing even less of it than before). So yeah, maybe I am a little reactive to it--but it sucks, plain and simple--no matter how low you set your expectations.

I can understand the lack of snow affecting your mood...(to an extent) but when other people's response to lack of snow starts affecting you so deeply it might be time to examine how you cope with things.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I can understand the lack of snow affecting your mood...(to an extent) but when other people's response to lack of snow starts affecting you so deeply it might be time to examine how you cope with things.

He gets too emotional.

I apparently hate snow now because I understand that it doesn't typically snow much in December around here lol.

I will back off on the salt.:rolleyes:

10 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I am thinking of changing the thread title to "Winter 2020-21 Pissing and Moaning".

In fairness, when you started posting here, you always shit on every threat and loved doing drive-by trolling when optimism was high. You used to end up running away with your tail between your legs because it actually used to snow sometimes back then. 

These days, your pessimism is the best bet and means you make good calls. If 2009-2010 ever makes a return you will go back to busting every week. :) 

• Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

9 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

For the sometimes snowless five boroughs it’s the anticipation of the first event.  It seems even a chance of snow flurries can be hyped to biblical proportions. Our city’s reaction is also an over or under proposition. At times the depth of the salt will surpass the depth of the event. Other times everyone is screaming for the spreader. What is Usually left, in our UHI paradise, is a slush shovel Festival before the inevitable overnight freeze. I enjoy hearing the squealing laughter of the young ones playing in whatever falls. If I’m fortunate and the frozen precipitation continues Into the daylight hours I wander into my postage stamp, standing alone and pondering all my loses. I look up to the shrouded grey sky and wait for a flake to touch my face and melt. When that happens everything, for me, becomes good again. As always ....

15 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

LR winter analysis is a slight step above astrology, IMO. You can definitely identify warning flags, but we are just so reliant on flukes during winter that it’s hardly worth grumbling about/taking anything too seriously.

Love the thread and the work though.

And we are probably due for a fluke or 2.  We were unlucky the last couple winters with events tracking to our south.

No one should be on the ledge over the seasonal/climate model depictions.. They all look "bad" but the skill is terrible at this range, and even if the mean h5 pattern does end up similar to whats currently advertised,  there will be opportunities within the typical 3 or 4 weeks where the pattern is more favorable for winter events.

5 hours ago, PhineasC said:

In fairness, when you started posting here, you always shit on every threat and loved doing drive-by trolling when optimism was high. You used to end up running away with your tail between your legs because it actually used to snow sometimes back then. 

These days, your pessimism is the best bet and means you make good calls. If 2009-2010 ever makes a return you will go back to busting every week. :) 

lol

Except I never "make calls".

And do keep the drive-bys coming. What would we do without your occasional mediocre attempts at abrasiveness. 

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

20 hours ago, Mersky said:

I don’t think he is pouring salt in the wound. About the only positives one could draw from this upcoming winter is it looks to be a weak La Niña which should keep it from blowtorching. Also solar minimum and the tendency in the past to have high latitude blocking coinciding with a peak of the solar minimum. However getting that blocking has been nonexistent basically for 10 years now so I wouldn’t count on it. At this point I would say if last winter on a scale of 1-10 was a 1, this winter maybe a 2.  Hopefully I am wrong 

You literally sound just like the dude you constantly "attempt" to troll.

Stick to the weenie reactions. Much safer.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

6 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Looks like another stellar year is already forming....

Its the same thing every year. The bad vibes and anticipated doom  probably begins earlier after a historic ratter that followed a really mediocre winter for most, considering it was technically a weak Nino. Some folks simply will not accept the objective data(reality), and insist that winters should be consistently "good" here based on anecdotal crap. I try to have fun with it though. At this juncture, it is silly to think anything is etched in stone. I actually enjoyed the previous 2 Nina winters more than the last 2 winters, which were warm neutral/ puny, impotent, weak Nino. I will roll the dice with a cold neutral or weak Nina. Odds are we get a few decent events, and end up near average. I'll take it.

• Like 2

Just now, Mersky said:

Really? How so oh brilliant one??? 

Because you say the same general things yet weenie him? Doesn't take brilliance (although I am brilliant) to see that.

Still waiting for your first quality post bro. You have been around here for a year or so now. About time, yeah?

4 minutes ago, Mersky said:

You got called out earlier today on what you were here when you started here.  How about worrying about yourself and not others. How about I make a quality post when you do? Deal?

LOL

"Called out" by a legit troll. GTFOH. You really are a dope.

Maybe you aspire to be like him. If that's the path you want to take here, go for it. Good luck with that. I don't think you have what it takes tho.

22 minutes ago, Mersky said:

You got called out earlier today on what you were here when you started here.  How about worrying about yourself and not others. How about I make a quality post when you do? Deal?

By Phin?  Lol. Cape is typically guarded about snow chances. That’s called being knowledgeable of our climo!  Oh how are the cfs mjo plots looking???

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

By Phin?  Lol. Cape is typically guarded about snow chances. That’s called being knowledgeable of our climo!  Oh how are the cfs mjo plots looking???

There seems to be conflation (by some) between objectivity and pessimism. You and I, and folks like Bob Chill,  will always have to deal with that it seems.

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

There seems to be conflation (by some) between objectivity and pessimism. You and I, and folks like Bob Chill,  will always have to deal with that it seems.

It’s really only a handful of people acting like clowns.  The vast majority either don’t post at all or make quality contributions. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And you'd be somewhere between troll and objective.

And people react differently, dude...I call it snow loving. Hysterical is a feminizing term, tbh

Call it what you want. Some of your recent posts(replies/reactions) in this thread were odd, given the context and nature of the discussion.

Maybe relax a little. It's early. I will make a bold  prediction- It will snow this winter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maestrobjwa said:

And you'd be somewhere between troll and objective.

And people react differently, dude...I call it snow loving. Hysterical is a feminizing term, tbh

Cape was just having fun and laughing about something none of us has any control over. I’m honestly concerned about you. If snow (and everything related to it) affects you so much then you REALY need to move somewhere it actually snows regularly. 

Snow is serious bizzness......

In all seriousness I would have to think we are due for a fluke or too. The last few years south of us has gotten hit. 

Last year was the first year in 20 years that I've lived in Northern MD that I got less than 5" of snow for the season. Even in the worst  years at DCA or BWI Ive managed 10" to 15".

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Snow is serious bizzness......

In all seriousness I would have to think we are due for a fluke or too. The last few years south of us has gotten hit. 

Last year was the first year in 20 years that I've lived in Northern MD that I got less than 5" of snow for the season. Even in the worst  years at DCA or BWI Ive managed 10" to 15".

There is no way this winter could be as bad as last winter.  No chance. 

On 8/9/2020 at 6:26 PM, Maestrobjwa said:

I was just wondering the same thing earlier today...Why does it feel like the Super Niño just flat-out broke things? Nothing has behaved right since!

The mets in the New England forum brought it up the other day, but they think the long term +NAO is being driven by the big -AMO ice bath in the North Atlantic positively feeding back into the positive NAO and making it sustain itself

• Like 1