Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Summer 2020 Banter and random observations

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Video wouldn't stream on my PC but the stills are impressive.  Even worse is when a tree like that merely smolders, with little smoke, then bursts into flame a few days later when fanned by stiff CAA.  Some significant forest fires have started that way.

21 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Video wouldn't stream on my PC but the stills are impressive.  Even worse is when a tree like that merely smolders, with little smoke, then bursts into flame a few days later when fanned by stiff CAA.  Some significant forest fires have started that way.

Watched a white pine take a direct hit at the golf course just a couple miles away a few years back, It was a blue flash then bang just a couple seconds after and littered the width of the fairway as well as the adjacent hole with pieces the size of 3-4' 2x4's as well as shreds, It literally blew the tree apart.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Watched a white pine take a direct hit at the golf course just a couple miles away a few years back, It was a blue flash then bang just a couple seconds after and littered the width of the fairway as well as the adjacent hole with pieces the size of 3-4' 2x4's as well as shreds, It literally blew the tree apart.

I've never personally seen a tree get struck (or anything else, for that matter.)  My favorite strike, seen a couple months after the storm, was at the state lot in Topsham, on Pleasant Point between the Muddy River and Merrymeeting Bay.  What had been a white pine 24" by 85' had become a 25' stub with a 45' treetop "planted" vertically about 4' away.  The other 15' was widely distributed shards, some probably weighing over 100 lb.  (12' long, 8" by 12" thick)  That was in the mid-1990s and the shards are becoming compost, the treetop finishing its full descent to earth about ten years ago.

2 hours ago, HimoorWx said:

I've been digitizing my father's old slides, and ran across these pictures of a Franconia Notch landslide from the early 1960s.  Anyone know what year?  I'm guessing somewhere about 60 or 61.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486cimageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486cimageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486c

PICT0485smaller.JPG

PICT0487smaller.JPG

PICT0480smaller.JPG

How are you handling the negatives? Scanning? If so what are you using?

Based on the angle of the shot over water, looks like we are looking at this area.  You can see some areas where slides have occurred.
7B2A2901-2C3B-4D1C-8723-C85AC5EB7645.thumb.jpeg.3d664a0ae5ae347cddd6c1a5cee1c752.jpeg

Yeah, pretty sure that was Profile Lake. Had pictures of the Old Man in the same sequence. 1959 is quite possible. I was 5 then, and looking at other pictures of me on the trip it is plau.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Speaking of lightning strikes, I was on approach to DCA around 30 years ago and the plane got hit.   Extremely bright and you’d think the plane would shake but it didn’t.   Pilot came on the intercom and said “yes we were struck by lightning”.

• Weenie 1

6 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Is there another source to look at Daily Climate Reports? This whole crap with some NWS products not working is beyond ridiculous now...especially SPC outlooks...not populating for like 45 minutes past time

If you're looking for max/min's (temperature, wind speed, wind gust, etc...) and or precipitation, GHCN-D is great. I'm not sure if there's an interactive website that hosts this data though... I use Python script to extract daily observations by station and date.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/land-based-station-data/land-based-datasets/global-historical-climatology-network-ghcn

6 minutes ago, MegaMike said:

If you're looking for max/min's (temperature, wind speed, wind gust, etc...) and or precipitation, GHCN-D is great. I'm not sure if there's an interactive website that hosts this data though... I use Python script to extract daily observations by station and date.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/land-based-station-data/land-based-datasets/global-historical-climatology-network-ghcn

Thanks!

I gotta get back into learning python...that would be sick to do. Would it be possible to extract daily observations by station and date into an Excel file?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Thanks!

I gotta get back into learning python...that would be sick to do. Would it be possible to extract daily observations by station and date into an Excel file?

Anything is possible with Python! :D 

That is what my script does (.csv output), but I only consider liquid water equivalent, snow water equivalent, and snowfall. The good thing about Python is that there are utilities/modules/etc... that already exist that you can install then run pretty easily for specific datasets. For example, for GHCN: https://github.com/aaronpenne/get_noaa_ghcn_data... Avoid any utility or archive that requires you to pay. This data is public.

I'd suggest installing Jupyter Notebook. https://jupyter.org/

It's basically a (somewhat) interactive interface that runs Python script. It comes with a lot of pre-compiled modules and libraries too. You can message me if you'd like more details or run into any problems.

Just now, MegaMike said:

Anything is possible with Python! :D 

That is what my script does (.csv output), but I only consider liquid water equivalent, snow water equivalent, and snowfall. The good thing about Python is that there are utilities/modules/etc... that already exist that you can install then run pretty easily for specific datasets. For example, for GHCN: https://github.com/aaronpenne/get_noaa_ghcn_data... Avoid any utility or archive that requires you to pay. This data is public.

I'd suggest installing Jupyter Notebook. https://jupyter.org/

It's basically a (somewhat) interactive interface that runs Python script. It comes with a lot of pre-compiled modules and libraries too. You can message me if you'd like more details or run into any problems.

I was doing pretty well with Python last summer...then the fall came and I got super swamped. I forget what I was using...was either Jupyter or Conda. But I was having fun with all the mapping packages/data packages. mpl_toolkits, cartopy (this was BRUTAL to get to work...absolutely BRUTAL...took me weeks and dozens and dozens of hours), matplotlib, numpy, etc. 

I really need to get back into it...only issue is time to devote. Like I need to devote at least several hours a day to it so I can not only understand it but grasp it. Do you know of any oneline python courses that are strictly designed for meteorology? I would certainly pay for those.