• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    LanaM
    Newest Member
    LanaM

May Banter 2020

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Are you saying on a school by school basis if someone tests positive or by district , state ? 

I understand protecting the teachers.  Hopefully during all this time the powers at be can get creative and innovative with safety measures.  Testing should be much better I'd hope by September.  Hopefully no hasty early decisions are made. 

I think it will be county by county at least. Like snow closures.

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

The MD school reopening concept is making the rounds.

http://marylandpublicschools.org/newsroom/Documents/MSDERecoveryPlan.pdf

Sounds pretty terrible for the kids and parents, TBH. 1 day a week in school with heavy social distancing is one of the options.

That would be incredibly impactful to working parents. 

We are probably going to homeschool and use playdates and clubs for socialization.

What a mess. What will parents who work (not from home) do with their kids if they’re not in school?

50 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

The fall is a long way off . A lot of measures can be considered and taken between now and then . Hopefully the kids can return fulltime in person with obvious precautionary measures in place . 

My highschool girls were really disappointed with the cancellation of this academic year. 

I think going back in person in the fall has to happen. Vulnerable populations will need extra protection in the workplace or work from home options. 

23 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I think going back in person in the fall has to happen. Vulnerable populations will need extra protection in the workplace or work from home options. 

It doesn’t have to happen. I could easily see it not happening at all. 

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It might not, but I think it should.  It’s really a shame we ended up in this mess.  We mismanaged every aspect of this so badly.  We gave it out “best” shot which was a two month half assed lockdown that really hasn’t brought the virus under control.  

11 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Our kids are starting kindergarten in the fall.  Unless they are allowed to go to school with no restrictions we are going to home school.  Not putting them through wearing masks and not being able have recess and social interaction etc. That’s literally the entire point of kindergarten. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Our kids are starting kindergarten in the fall.  Unless they are allowed to go to school with no restrictions we are going to home school.  Not putting them through wearing masks and not being able have recess and social interaction etc. That’s literally the entire point of kindergarten. 

Yep, same here. Luckily my wife stays home and has the patience/ability to do this. 

• Like 1

Mr map ran to Home Depot as I ran out of weed paper (for the garden lol), said there was a line around the building as they were only letting in so many at a time. 

extra layer of mulch it is instead. He said there were a lot of people out, glad to see they are being safe about it. 

happy weekend

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

I’m not homeschooling.  Not only do I not have a ability to do that because of work, but I think any amount of social interaction is good for them.  

3 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I’m not homeschooling.  Not only do I not have a ability to do that because of work, but I think any amount of social interaction is good for them.  

We figure “social interaction” six feet apart with masks is not going to be healthy in any way for young kids. Rather just enroll them in some organized clubs, sports, and have set play dates to scratch that itch. 

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

We figure “social interaction” six feet apart with masks is not going to be healthy in any way for young kids. Rather just enroll them in some organized clubs, sports, and have set play dates to scratch that itch. 

Yeah I can see that side of it too, but a moot point for my family since we’re both working during the day when homeschooling would happen. 

Just now, DCTeacherman said:

Yeah I can see that side of it too, but a moot point for my family since we’re both working during the day when homeschooling would happen. 

What will you do if schools “reopen” for just 1 or 2 days a week?

What will you do if schools “reopen” for just 1 or 2 days a week?

I have no idea.  It would be very inconvenient if my kids schools weren’t open, but the one I teach at is.  I teach in a different school system than my kids go to.  I hope DC, MD, VA, make a regional decision to avoid this issue. 

6 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I have no idea.  It would be very inconvenient if my kids schools weren’t open, but the one I teach at is.  I teach in a different school system than my kids go to.  I hope DC, MD, VA, make a regional decision to avoid this issue. 

Yeah, this and the daycares will probably spell the end of the lockdowns even for the diehard believers. It’s just totally unworkable. 

Yeah, this and the daycares will probably spell the end of the lockdowns even for the diehard believers. It’s just totally unworkable. 

I’m getting more towards your line of thinking although for different reasons, minus the whole culture war aspect.  We half assed this process so badly.  Im not sure continuing these half baked semi lockdowns that don’t really keep the virus under control serve any long term purpose.  I guess most states agree since they’re starting to open.  We obviously are far too ignorant and stupid to pull off the test, trace, isolate, thing that Asian countries, Germany, etc are doing.  So what are our options?

26 minutes ago, DCTeacherman said:

I’m getting more towards your line of thinking although for different reasons, minus the whole culture war aspect.  We half assed this process so badly.  Im not sure continuing these half baked semi lockdowns that don’t really keep the virus under control serve any long term purpose.  I guess most states agree since they’re starting to open.  We obviously are far too ignorant and stupid to pull off the test, trace, isolate, thing that Asian countries, Germany, etc are doing.  So what are our options?

I think we will just plow ahead as Americans tend to do and the deaths will fade into the background.

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

We will definitely set up play dates and do sports.  But it’s just a matter of what the landscape looks like.  We had a play date with a good friend who is militant about the social distancing.  It was miserable for my kids.  She was yelling every 5 seconds not to get close and it was not healthy for the kids at all.  If school is going to be like that i can’t see putting them through that.

1 hour ago, DCTeacherman said:

I will not Homeschool. I am already hitting a wall with the youngest Miss J. And she will be in HS next year. The older Miss J. has it all under control. But honestly there would be two bloody bodies on the kitchen floor if I have to even try to get the younger to do what she needs to.

4 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

I will not Homeschool. I am already hitting a wall with the youngest Miss J. And she will be in HS next year. The older Miss J. has it all under control. But honestly there would be two bloody bodies on the kitchen floor if I have to even try to get the younger to do what she needs to.

If schools are only open 1 day a week you will be homeschooling anyway...

22 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

We will definitely set up play dates and do sports.  But it’s just a matter of what the landscape looks like.  We had a play date with a good friend who is militant about the social distancing.  It was miserable for my kids.  She was yelling every 5 seconds not to get close and it was not healthy for the kids at all.  If school is going to be like that i can’t see putting them through that.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about this.  My 4 yr old now yells “look people coming, we have to cross the street!” if we encounter other people on a walk...not normal. 

41 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

There are going to be many reports of total meltdowns from parents and teachers once the schools reopen. A little kid is going to get arrested for hugging a classmate next school year, 100% guarantee. Schools are already pretty hysterical with the fear and zero tolerance stuff related to guns and violence. This is like tossing gasoline on the fire.

• Haha 1

There are going to be many reports of total meltdowns from parents and teachers once the schools reopen. A little kid is going to get arrested for hugging a classmate next school year, 100% guarantee. Schools are already pretty hysterical with the fear and zero tolerance stuff related to guns and violence. This is like tossing gasoline on the fire.

nobody is gonna get arrested for hugging someone. Unless arrested = suspended

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Social distancing will be impossible to implement in schools IMO.  Kids are programmed to be social, it’s just natural. There’s no way they’re going to stay away from each other all day.  Just have to accept that they will be in contact. 

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

nobody is gonna get arrested for hugging someone. Unless arrested = suspended

Kids already get arrested in school pretty frequently (more than the zero times it should be).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/09/22/florida-cop-under-investigation-after-arresting-kids-6-and-8/2411142001/

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/johnson-county/9-year-old-arrested-and-handcuffed-at-elementary-school

There are many such stories.

I agree it’s more than the 0 times an elementary schooler should be dragged out of school in handcuffs (minus extraordinary circumstances), but hardly frequently, that’s unfair. But fine, there could definitely be overreactions. I’ll concede that.