Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Warm Season Thread 2020

wxeyeNH

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

This whole summer is in rare air.  I enjoyed the novelty of it in May and June.  I'm so over this by now. 

The days following the TC were awesome... 70s/50s.  Need much more of that.

I saw some of that in my point forecast, so I took a quick look at the BTV NWS forecast discussion and their thoughts are the same.  I could swear I’ve heard in the subforum that HHH is what everyone wants in the summer, but maybe we’ll just have to make due with “comfortable” for now.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

304 PM EDT Tue Aug 11 2020

.SHORT TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH FRIDAY/...

As of 304 PM EDT Tuesday...By and large though, the majority of the time period should be dry with partly sunny days and mostly clear nights. Temps turn back towards seasonal norms with highs in the upper 70s to mid-80s and lows mainly in the 50s. Dew points will be comfortably in the 50s as well.

.LONG TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY/...

As of 304 PM EDT Tuesday...Sunny days and clear nights are expected, with temps very comfortable in the upper 70s to low 80s, and lows in the 50s Saturday, and slightly warmer in the mid 50s to low 60s Sunday.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Temps look really nice for the next 14 days.

Mid 70s for highs and mid 50s for lows, in general. Nice and seasonal. 

Yeah, we are getting to that time of year when we start to get to see better air masses nose into NNE from time to time.

Just don't post that in the main threads, lol. 

• Haha 3

Probably “first shot across the bow” airmass coming next week in at least NNE...SNE remains to be seen. The type of day where it’s like 70F and sunny and then all of the sudden when the sun disappears behind the hills/mountains, you lose like 15F really quickly and after another beer or two on the deck you look down at your hands getting pink from the chill. 

Next morning is like near 40F in the radiational cooling spots and you question leaving the window fan on all night. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Extended forecast says hot summer is dead here. 

In one of the main threads they’re already talking about how it can be hard to get 90s F in SNE at the end of August, so you can imagine how insanely hard it must be to do that up in your area.  As Ginx says:

BackBreaker.gif

11 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Extended forecast says hot summer is dead here. 

Yeah I think we are over the hump.  This week has felt different.  The nights are chilly to the point that my wife wants windows closed at like 3am.  I tell her to add a blanket because I want to feel cold while sleeping after the past two months, ha.  Just so nice to sleep very comfortable and without fans or A/C running.  Quiet.

27 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I think we are over the hump.  This week has felt different.  The nights are chilly to the point that my wife wants windows closed at like 3am.  I tell her to add a blanket because I want to feel cold while sleeping after the past two months, ha.  Just so nice to sleep very comfortable and without fans or A/C running.  Quiet.

Today was really nice. I was out taking down an old ash tree and splitting it. Some really nice cool breezes when the sun went in. Definitely feels different than July.

59 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Today was really nice. I was out taking down an old ash tree and splitting it. Some really nice cool breezes when the sun went in. Definitely feels different than July.

I want to be in NNE or at least have the option . 

I was looking at plots of land in a few NNE spots the last couple weeks . Sort of like a 3-5 year plan beginning with the purchase of several acres then development .  Really Would enjoy a NNE climate , ideally something Low risk but with nice rental potential.  Rangeley Maine (1800’)Jay ,VT 1300’ , and even Colebrook / Dixville 1800’ or so all looked interesting...probably in that Order.

12 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I want to be in NNE or at least have the option . 

I was looking at plots of land in a few NNE spots the last couple weeks . Sort of like a 3-5 year plan beginning with the purchase of several acres then development .  Really Would enjoy a NNE climate , ideally something Low risk but with nice rental potential.  Rangeley Maine (1800’)Jay ,VT 1300’ , and even Colebrook / Dixville 1800’ or so all looked interesting...probably in that Order.

Exciting – I’d say those are all solid choices for a potent NNE experience, especially in the winter department.

SnowyClimate.jpg

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Exciting – I’d say those are all solid choices for a potent NNE experience, especially in the winter department.

SnowyClimate.jpg

Ya , if I got land it wouldn’t be in some mediocre spot relative to Snowfall . Rangeley seems like it would have the most seasons for rental potential (Busy summer lake ) / Winter (Ski) early / mid fall (foliage ) thou Covid has thrown a large wrench into that market , should be some distressed second home sales this winter in my opinion and likely a lot more if travel /lodging restrictions are re imposed .

There are a few plots near Dixville / E Colebrook that would  see nice appreciation if that proposed ski resort ever got the funding to get off the ground near the Balsams .

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya , if I got land it wouldn’t be in some mediocre spot relative to Snowfall . Rangeley seems like it would have the most seasons for rental potential (Busy summer lake ) / Winter (Ski) early / mid fall (foliage ) thou Covid has thrown a large wrench into that market , should be some distressed second home sales this winter in my opinion and likely a lot more if travel /lodging restrictions are re imposed .

There are a few plots near Dixville / E Colebrook that would  see nice appreciation if that proposed ski resort ever got the funding to get off the ground near the Balsams .

Rangeley might be getting even pricier than it has always been, what with nearly $40 million being pumped into Saddleback, with plans to open for the first time in 5-6 years.  Great mountain, and while Maine can't match the northern Greens for upslope, Saddleback's NW exposure probably gives it the best in the state.

17 hours ago, klw said:

Nice to see you other "back broken" folks  joining the party.

Once we hit August 1st, it’s always good to be on the lookout for the breaking point of summer around here, but I wasn’t quite ready to call it back during that first week because that impending mini stretch of heat that we had on the 10th and 11th was still approaching.  You definitely started the fall party though.  I’m not sure about SNE of course – based on what I’ve seen on here over the years they seem to hold onto the big heat potential much longer.  In our area though, it’s hard to imagine top tier heat coming back based on the extended forecast.  It looks like temperatures will struggle to even reach 80 F, so 90 F is obviously a long shot.

BackBreaker.gif

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Rangeley might be getting even pricier than it has always been, what with nearly $40 million being pumped into Saddleback, with plans to open for the first time in 5-6 years.  Great mountain, and while Maine can't match the northern Greens for upslope, Saddleback's NW exposure probably gives it the best in the state.

There is a 7 acre plot for 45k across street from Long pond about 3 miles from Rangeley  lake . Elevated up so there could be a fine view .

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I wouldn’t make an investment in that area expecting the Balsams planned ski area to go anywhere.  That’s been like two decades of talks it seems like.  The market just isn’t there for that place IMO.