• Member Statistics

    16,026
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Bobby Orr
    Newest Member
    Bobby Orr
    Joined
Sign in to follow this  
wxeyeNH

NNE Warm Season Thread 2020

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Thanks for the info.  Our current water heater is actually propane though, so I guess the heat pump style would mean moving to electric.  Apparently the tank-based propane units are already fairly efficient compared to traditional electric units, and fairly comparable to the heat pump water heaters?  I’m also curious about investigating tankless options when the time comes to replace our current water heater.  Apparently tankless costs a bit more to operate annually vs. the heat pump systems, but they more than make up for it by their longer service life.  The idea of not having to store hot water in a tank and simply create it on demand is certainly appealing (as is not having a big tank taking up space), but we’ll ultimately have to look into the nitty-gritty of it to see if it’s worth it.

I am getting a tankless propane water heater installed up in Randolph soon. I love them. I have switched all my water heaters over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mreaves said:

I think you're correct.  Our old system was run from our oil fired boiler and had a large super insulated storage tank.  The tank sprung a leak so we had to get a new one.  I would have loved an on demand system but we don't have propane and I couldn't see installing it just for a new water heater.

Our system has hot water thru the oil-fired boiler but the tank is tiny - 2 or 3 gallons and up near the joists, just enough to cover that initial surge before the boiler kicks in.  Running the boiler in summer adds to the oil bill but it also helps keep the basement from getting too musty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally a day that is just about "normal" around here.

Temps started off in the 50s this morning, rose up and hung around the 80F mark all afternoon (high of 82F in there) with dews dropping into the 50s. 

Now we get that classic sunset drop from 80F to 66F almost immediately and still going down.  This feels more like NNE should.

Air quality seemed great too, with good long distance views over to MWN from Mansfield.  Here's a shot from the base area of the Gondola with the north side Notch wall behind it.

116765504_10104273746300020_597802439828

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday was a near perfect summer day, 75/54 with dews 60 or below.  It was also slightly BN, only the 6th BN day for the month. 
Despite that 25-to-6 advantage the month was only 2.2° AN, though that's 4th warmest of 23 Julys here.

Avg max: 76.6   0.2 AN and the median value of the 23 Julys.
Avg. min:  58.8   4.2 AN and the mildest July minimum by 1.1°

Warmest:  84  on 20th.   Warmest minimum:  70 on the 27th, only the 2nd 70+ low here.
Coolest:  51 on the 17th.  July coolest 1998-2019 range from 37 to 46.
That 33° monthly range ties Nov. 1998 for the lowest in any month.  Ironically, June's 63° is tops for that month.

Precip:  5.84"   1.88" AN  Biggest one-day RA was 1.54" on the 10th, remains of Fay.

Yearly precip up to 27.32", a modest 0.18" AN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

July Totals

Liquid: 5.86”

I see that Tamarack recently posted his monthly weather data, so it’s that time again.  Total liquid for July here was actually almost an inch (0.97”) above average, making up a bit for June, which was 4.27” and nearly three inches below average.  For the state as a whole, Cabot 2.3 E topped the CoCoRaHS precipitation list with 9.15” of liquid for the month.

Liquid for the 2020 water year is running at 44.89”, and calendar year liquid is at 29.79”, which is 1.94” below average.  So, it’s pretty much the June precipitation keeping things behind normal pace at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Ginx’s CoCoRaHS mapping update in the August thread was quite timely with respect to our discussion here.  I made the July map for VT and pasted it below.  Per my previous post, I immediately noted that the 9.15” from Cabot 2.3 E wasn’t on there, however, the next highest value of 8.48” for the month from Cabot 3.9 ENE was shown.  Looking at the data summary table, I suspect that with five missing entries (perhaps zeros that just weren’t touched up yet on the monthly zeroes page), Cabot 2.3 E is not hitting the 90% data completeness threshold that is indicated in the legend.  I would suspect the value for that site would show up once the data are updated, but it’s good incentive to get those monthly zeroes taken care of sooner rather than later!

01AUG20A.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jspin will be happy. My wife’s cousin bought a house in Waterbury. I guess it’s pretty nice and on a big hill for sledding. They’re pumped!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Jspin will be happy. My wife’s cousin bought a house in Waterbury. I guess it’s pretty nice and on a big hill for sledding. They’re pumped!

Great area.  Real estate is going so fast, and Waterbury is a great investment.  That place will always be in demand as you can work in Montpelier or Burlington area...and it’s the exit on the interstate that accesses Stowe to the north and Mad River Valley to the south.  It truly is in the middle of everything.  Can’t get a more central location up here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Well, Ginx’s CoCoRaHS mapping update in the August thread was quite timely with respect to our discussion here.  I made the July map for VT and pasted it below.  Per my previous post, I immediately noted that the 9.15” from Cabot 2.3 E wasn’t on there, however, the next highest value of 8.48” for the month from Cabot 3.9 ENE was shown.  Looking at the data summary table, I suspect that with five missing entries (perhaps zeros that just weren’t touched up yet on the monthly zeroes page), Cabot 2.3 E is not hitting the 90% data completeness threshold that is indicated in the legend.  I would suspect the value for that site would show up once the data are updated, but it’s good incentive to get those monthly zeroes taken care of sooner rather than later!

01AUG20A.jpg

Love the new maps!  My rough tally was around 4.75” here and totaling up the PWS around here, including the Stowe CoCoRAHS and MVL ASOS, pretty much the entire Stowe area was like 4.25-5.25” this month.  Nice wet axis right down the Winooski Valley from Williston to Waterbury, too.

One spot that stands out is down near Killington or just north of it, there’s a cluster of high elevation sites that only had 1.89-2.50”....that area is usually real wet in summer.  Also up near Newport, that’s usually a minimum but 6-8” in the two stations up there.  Such is the nature of convection.

Great to see the monthly totals laid out graphically!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Great area.  Real estate is going so fast, and Waterbury is a great investment.  That place will always be in demand as you can work in Montpelier or Burlington area...and it’s the exit on the interstate that accesses Stowe to the north and Mad River Valley to the south.  It truly is in the middle of everything.  Can’t get a more central location up here.

The husband is a big skier and she I believe is a lawyer for the state. They are near 600’ it seems close to the exit for rt 100 off of 89. Not sure where Jspin is relative to that. They moved from Williston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The husband is a big skier and she I believe is a lawyer for the state. They are near 600’ it seems close to the exit for rt 100 off of 89. Not sure where Jspin is relative to that. They moved from Williston.

I wonder if I know her? I work for the Attorney General’s Office. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Sarah Aceves?

That last name is real familiar... I’m in some skiing circles with a Gabe Aceves?   I don’t think we’ve ever met but we are both active in a closed group local VT ski/ride page.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That last name is real familiar... I’m in some skiing circles with a Gabe Aceves?   I don’t think we’ve ever met but we are both active in a closed group local VT ski/ride page.

Yes!! Lol. Gabe is a good dude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think he does that mtn quite a bit. 

Yeah I thought that was his home mountain.  Anyway he’ll know the climate differences well, he knows he’s getting into a snowier zone at home now ha.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I thought that was his home mountain.  Anyway he’ll know the climate differences well, he knows he’s getting into a snowier zone at home now ha.  

When I found out, I told my wife’s cousin that they get crushed lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Jspin will be happy. My wife’s cousin bought a house in Waterbury. I guess it’s pretty nice and on a big hill for sledding. They’re pumped!

 

17 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

The husband is a big skier and she I believe is a lawyer for the state. They are near 600’ it seems close to the exit for rt 100 off of 89. Not sure where Jspin is relative to that. They moved from Williston.

That’s really exciting for them – coming from Williston it’s not going to be a totally outrageous change relative to someone coming from SNE or even further south, but they’re definitely going to see more precipitation, snowfall, snowpack, snow retention, etc., vs. Williston in the CPV.  Williston is a pretty popular place to live, but maybe they’re moving to be closer to Montpelier for work?

They’ll have incredible access to the surrounding area in all directions as PF said, because Waterbury is the junction of three main routes around the state – you can see the access to Stowe to the north, Burlington to the west, Montpelier to the east, and it’s not labeled, but that’s the Mad River Valley to the south.  On the map below with Waterbury in the center, Route 100 is the black line running north-south, I-89 is the red line running roughly east west, and Route 2 is the purplish line paralleling and mostly hidden by I-89.

Them being close to the exit off I-89 (we only have one, it’s exit 10) actually describes a lot of the area, so it’ hard to get a sense for where they might be just from that.  To give you a sense for where we’re located, just head west from that dot on the map for Waterbury until you get to that orange shading.  That shading marks Chittenden County, and the line you see marking that change is the border between Chittenden/Washington counties, and also the border between the towns of Waterbury and Bolton.  That line also marks the approximate location of the spine of the Greens.  We’re located just a bit on the Waterbury side of that line, about 2 to 3 miles from the center of town.

Waterburymap.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

When I found out, I told my wife’s cousin that they get crushed lol.

Yeah, they’ll certainly average triple digits for snowfall.  I’d put ~100” as the floor for the annual snowfall average, but how much above that would depend on those usual elevation and microclimate effects.  If they’re at an elevation of 600’, that’s around the higher end of the “floor” around here (roughly 400’-600’), so that could give a slight bump.  Going with a generic “east side” site at that elevation, one could probably go with a snowfall average like PF sees.  PF is a bit higher in elevation, but something like what he sees could be a good first guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, they’ll certainly average triple digits for snowfall.  I’d put ~100” as the floor for the annual snowfall average, but how much above that would depend on those usual elevation and microclimate effects.  If they’re at an elevation of 600’, that’s around the higher end of the “floor” around here (roughly 400’-600’), so that could give a slight bump.  Going with a generic “east side” site at that elevation, one could probably go with a snowfall average like PF sees.  PF is a bit higher in elevation, but something like what he sees could be a good first guess.

They are just to the NW of that dot by maybe a mile? Just above 89. Ashford Lane. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They are just to the NW of that dot by maybe a mile? Just above 89. Ashford Lane. 

Roger that – we typically call that whole area up there “Blush Hill”.  That’s the name of the main road that services the area, and the name of the country club up there as well.  Houses seem to top out around 1,100’ as you continue on up.  In their spot, they’ll certainly get a bit of a bump in elevation up above Route 100 (that first pitch at the bottom of the road is nuts), so that will probably increase snowfall a bit.  I have a cousin who lives right up in the condos near Ashford, and we’ve got friends in houses farther up the road, but I haven’t heard any specifics on snowfall differences from down in town.  Based on this info, I’d say a PF-style snowfall average is still a good first guess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Really clean tropical air in NNE this morning.  I have great visibility, stiff south wind here on the hill.   75/65F.  I always like airmasses before a TC that goes just west.  Filled up geny with gas just in case.   I could see some 45mph gusts on my hill.  Need the rain, not the wind

You face south right Gene?  Could be a breezy evening tomorrow. 

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.  Good to see the forum hopping with some enthusiasm.  Storm threads are far and few between in the summer months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upslope rainshowers in this tropical airmass. Last night I left Alex's driveway during drizzle and occasional downpour, to drive to my place 3mi down the road and there was an abrupt line where the cloud and drizzly stuff ended and the sky was clear and you could see the moon and stars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.