Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Warm Season Thread 2020

wxeyeNH

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Norway is hands down the best country I’ve ever visited.

Not to mention the craziest geography you can imagine.

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Then there’s just like these scenes on the side of the road everywhere.... lot of steep terrain and high elevation snowmelt, meant waterfalls everywhere.  This was down the road from a cousins house.

F0321606-6932-4F10-A6D2-5D4467337845.jpeg.eee6961e636ce3d7152dd752893fd5bd.jpeg

PF, you would probably love the scenery in the film Ex Machina if you haven’t seen it.  I’ve heard the location is meant to be Alaska, but they shot it in Norway at the Juvet Landscape Hotel.  It was quite stunning, so I looked up the location as soon as I saw it, but the first minute of this video talks about the location and shows some of the scenery:

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, rimetree said:

I watched a movie called Troll Hunter last night. Silly but fun found footage style movie in Norwegian with subtitles. A lot of outdoor scenery in Norway that made we want to visit some day. I think it was raining or snowing in most of the shots.

I’ll have to fire up the external hard drive and look at more shots, but it is just as insane geography as it seems like it would be.  Never seen anything like that.  

15 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The temp here plummets after sundown but then seems to get "stuck" by around 10-12 PM and doesn't go much lower overnight. I have noticed this pattern all summer. We'll see if that changes in the winter. 

Looking at your Nest cam, it looks as if the land slopes down and away from you.  Is that correct?  If so that would allow the colder air to drain away from you as the night settles in.  We have had a similar temp pattern at our current house and the last one as well,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

The temp here plummets after sundown but then seems to get "stuck" by around 10-12 PM and doesn't go much lower overnight. I have noticed this pattern all summer. We'll see if that changes in the winter. 

Mid-slope climo... bet you get a nice drainage flow through your property towards the valley bottom.  You may notice the wind is coming from higher up and pointing the wind vane towards the bottom of your field.  Down there at the roadway/valley I bet it’s even as much as 10F colder some nights.

It’s very similar at 1500ft at the ski area here.  It drops quickly with sunset but then levels off over night while it continues to drain cold down here into town through the West Branch of the Little River.  We’ll keep dropping right until sunrise in the morning, but the biggest drop is in the evening...then just ticks off a degree or two an hour after midnight usually.

Spent a week plus in Norway two summers ago, mostly in mountains and fjords. Absolutely spectacular. Would love to spend a winter ski touring there.

Edit- would say the same for Iceland which I visited three summers ago.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, rimetree said:

I watched a movie called Troll Hunter last night. Silly but fun found footage style movie in Norwegian with subtitles. A lot of outdoor scenery in Norway that made we want to visit some day. I think it was raining or snowing in most of the shots.

I came across that once. I watched it only for the Norwegian scenery. 

On 8/17/2020 at 5:15 PM, powderfreak said:

Ha I was right there with ya... like 240-ish upper mountain snowfall seems like the low barometer until a 156” or whatever it was dropped on us in 15-16.

*I should note that 11-12 was only 212” I think during operating season, which ended early on April 1st after a week of 70s/80s in March.  We did get that big elevation 24-30” upslope event after closure but before scheduled closure so I generally roll that into the total.

On that note, I’m sure many resorts will only report last year’s snow totals through the point at which they shut down, so they’ll be missing any snow that fell after that.

20 hours ago, J.Spin said:

On that note, I’m sure many resorts will only report last year’s snow totals through the point at which they shut down, so they’ll be missing any snow that fell after that.

Yup.  This year’s snowfall for the resorts is off a bit.  Granted it seemed the most snowfall might have come after closing anyway with second half of April and first half of May having some decent totals at elevation.  I don’t remember much the second half of March and early April?

8 hours ago, tamarack said:

46 for this morning's low; may be a couple degrees cooler tomorrow.  About right for a mid-August cool spell.

It does feel right on schedule for some cooler days.  Not locked in autumn, it’ll get warm/hot again, but seems spot on climo wise for those first lower heights into NNE.

23 hours ago, powderfreak said:

We have a wall unit but if I had window A/C units up here I would've pulled them out this past week to just allow the windows to be open and free.  No way am I leaving my windows all jammed up with A/Cs for the threat of needing them on a random day or two when the majority of the time you can just let the breeze in.  They look horrible too, not worth it for a random day or two in the NNE climo now.

Yeah, I can’t imagine needing A/C at this point in our climate, and the fact that a window units interfere with normal use of the windows is another huge disincentive all summer long.

While we were in the 70s yesterday, was I reading it right in the main threads that SNE was getting into the 90s?  That’s nuts.  Thank god we live here, or glad we don’t live there, or however that goes.  Our forecast of highs generally struggling to reach 80 and lows struggling to be above 60 is fine by me.

My older son and I went for a long ride in the Adams Camp complex yesterday and the weather was excellent – that’s a direct example of the benefits of the current weather because we wouldn’t have done that on a day with temperatures approaching the 90s with potential humidity.  Hopefully visitors to the area are appreciating the weather as well for their activities.  The only thing it’s really not great for is swimming, which was a bit evident as we passed one of the pools along the Mountain Road and I saw a guy obviously having to keep himself warm as he stood beside the water.

2 hours ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, I can’t imagine needing A/C at this point in our climate, 

While we were in the 70s yesterday, was I reading it right in the main threads that SNE was getting into the 90s?  That’s nuts.  Thank god we live here, or glad we don’t live there, or however that goes. 

Hopefully visitors to the area are appreciating the weather as well for their activities.  The only thing it’s really not great for is swimming

Yes it was 91 also when I was in S NH Friday pm heading up To Jackson, NH. A/C is definitely needed in those areas today with some 94/70 reading at KFIT earlier . Gross 

Very much appreciating the weather 

I see temps have been upper 60’s- low 70’s from Jay to Dixville to Rangeley . I will be up here permanently soon enough or at least have the option. 

58 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Yes it was 91 also when I was in S NH Friday pm heading up To Jackson, NH. A/C is definitely needed in those areas today with some 94/70 reading at KFIT earlier . Gross 

I see temps have been upper 60’s- low 70’s from Jay to Dixville to Rangeley . I will be up here permanently soon enough or at least have the option. 

Pretty nice here today. Touch more humid than the last week. Some more bugs came out and showers around. Temp peaked at 75. 

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It was 69F here at 2pm today while it was like 93F at BDL.

Ended up with a late day spike to 81F for a max... but large part of the day was in the 60s.

Ha, yeah she’s about ready to go down at this point after 1,800 vertical feet... only had a couple more hundred verts to go through the switchbacks, then time to go down.  She always gets a bunch more energy back when she realizes it’s time to go down...I think her acting tired is all a ploy on the way up.  

41 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

My daughter did her first challenging hike Friday up to Mt Equinox with me, pretty steep and not much flatness to recharge the legs.

This is looking south down the valley towards Bennington in the distance a bit.

20200821_112140_compress50.thumb.jpg.49ce938be3732bd94cc3961e47decdce.jpg

I've always loved the topography down there.  As an Albany kid, taking weekend school bus trips on the weekend to S.VT areas like Snow/Bromley/Stratton/Magic, once you got towards Manchester it felt like you "arrived" in the mountain communities.  All the sudden you are driving through a valley with 3K or higher around you.  It'd definitely a solid vertical relief area compared to other parts of VT that are more rolling hills.

9 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I've always loved the topography down there.  As an Albany kid, taking weekend school bus trips on the weekend to S.VT areas like Snow/Bromley/Stratton/Magic, once you got towards Manchester it felt like you "arrived" in the mountain communities.  All the sudden you are driving through a valley with 3K or higher around you.  It'd definitely a solid vertical relief area compared to other parts of VT that are more rolling hills.

Its definitely a "walled in" feeling here that starts just north of DDH and continues up to here where you have 4k to the west and over 3k to the east and  3k to the north (Mt Aelous) with a relatively narrow valley. It certainly makes for some great views and interesting topography in all directions. But yea, I think most people think of VT as rolling hills and red barns and then with mountain views in the distance, which like you said, is certainly very prevalant in many areas.. There's so much topography variety throughout the state, makes any drive interesting. Was just out in the extreme western part of the state in Pawlet VT(20 mins) at my sister-in- laws yesterday and its gently rolling hills and fertile farmland, its like a different world from the valley here.

20 hours ago, PhineasC said:

No drought here. Lush and green. The mountains provide. 

48165478-3370-4A66-BA5B-44605C38CCD1.thumb.jpeg.6ba368e1b67a043d675066ed8d57f9b3.jpeg

Yeah, PF and I have talked about it before, but the mountains can definitely bring you to another level in terms of precipitation amounts and consistency.  Our site here is the perfect example: we’re down in the Winooski Valley at fairly modest elevation, but in terms of snowfall and total liquid, this area punches way above its weight.  It’s in large part due to the proximity of the local mountains (with maybe some extra help from being downwind of the Great Lakes).  Compared to BTV at roughly the same elevation ~15 miles to our west, we seem to get about a 50% increase in annual liquid, and >100% increase in annual snowfall due to the higher ratios of upslope snow.

Mother Nature is still rolling the dice of course, so nothing is guaranteed in the short term.  But it’s sort of like playing with loaded dice, and over the long haul you get a big boost in snowfall and total liquid equivalent.  It certainly helps protect the area from those dreaded New England “droughts”.

MountainRescue.gif

• Like 2