Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Holy Thursday coastal redevelopment observations

MarkO

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

It's no Montgomery, VT but should do just great there for snow. 

You guys want out in the middle of nowhere... the Jay Peak area will do that.

Yeah, once we discovered BWI no longer flies to Burlington, that kind of fizzled that out. Otherwise, we would have bought there. Had the lot lined up. We wanted to have a reasonable air option versus driving.

4 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, once we discovered BWI no longer flies to Burlington, that kind of fizzled that out. Otherwise, we would have bought there. Had the lot lined up. We wanted to have a reasonable air option versus driving.

It's really easy to head north from MHT. Pretty much northbound and down on 93 and then flying along rt 3 to Rt 2. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It's really easy to head north from MHT. Pretty much northbound and down on 93 and then flying along rt 3 to Rt 2. 

Seems like Portland is same amount of time too. I have done the MHT drive before, but not the Portland drive. I wonder if one is better than the other depending on when you go. Will have to experiment.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Seems like Portland is same amount of time too. I have done the MHT drive before, but not the Portland drive. I wonder if one is better than the other depending on when you go. Will have to experiment.

MHT will be easier.  North/South travel in NNE is usually ok but East/West can suck.  Even though you're on Rt.2 it can be a slog.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah that house looks like its worth it in NH.... don't have to tear down any trailers on the property to build or anything, ha.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I think MHT straight is easier. It might be a mess on a Friday though. 93 north is a massive PITA in the summer on Friday's. Us massholes. LOL. My folks have a small place on Winnipesaukee. I love it there, but if I had my choice, I'd like to find something a little more remote. It's good for the kids though.

Bought the land 10 years ago when economy was in the shitter and land was real cheap. But even today, you can probably find a similar lot for about $25k. The kit 10 yrs ago cost $57, and about another $40k to finish. Did all the work with help from friends and family. I mean, we did everything from clearing, grubbing, digging, pouring the footings, designing and installing the septic, electric and plumbing. The only parts I hired someone for (other than family, some which I paid) was the foundation, waterline and shingles. Hurricane Irene was coming and I ran out of time. No inspections (other than septic and wood stove) so we started staying in it as soon as it was weathertight. I think it was that Hurricane Irene weekend.

Log cabin kits are pretty easy. I never would have done it myself but my dad said it's like Lincoln Logs, just bigger, and he was right. 

Taxes are high in NH, but it's 90 minutes form Lowell.

Cabin -drone.jpg

• Like 6