Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
April Discobs 2020

George BM

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

Considering the issues I have had with mosquitoes some years I am probably going to hit them hard and often this year. Not knowing if they could possibly spread this virus or not is playing into that. Would hate to go through this whole thing just to have one of those suckers catch us unawares.

These suckers are vectors for all sorts of nasty stuff as it is- don't need to add something else. I have one clear source of mosquitoes here, a woodland (non-tidal) wetland- that is wet in the late winter/early Spring then it dries up. If I hit it with larvicide a couple times, the only mosquitoes I see around my place in the summer are ones that can be easily controlled my not having objects/places near the house where small amounts of water can sit for a few days after it rains.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Ha mostly yeah. Its dried up back there quite a bit with the low dews and all the wind and minimal rain over the past 10 days. A tad concerned about the wind potential here(tree issues), but that almost never materializes to an extreme.  Hopefully the high wind watch here goes to an advisory later on.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I mentioned this in the severe thread, but probably the high wind watch will go to a warning for the immediate coasts of DE and NJ, with advisories elsewhere. In our region, this area in most likely to see gusts to 60.

Agreed. Already had many down limbs from previous event, saving grace some of my trees are still not fully leafed. This time the direction is South versus W and WNW during the last wind event.  

5 minutes ago, frd said:

Agreed. Already had many down limbs from previous event, saving grace some of my trees are still not fully leafed. This time the direction is South versus W and WNW during the last wind event.  

There is a big oak tree on the edge of the lot next to me that is leaning and the root ball is lifting on the one side. Just noticed this the other day, and it probably got worse in the recent wind event. Its going to uproot, just a matter of time. Its not near the house, but if it falls it will completely block my driveway. It is leaning in a NNE direction, so the winds in the upcoming event might do it.

3 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

There is a big oak tree on the edge of the lot next to me that is leaning and the root ball is lifting on the one side. Just noticed this the other day, and it probably got worse in the recent wind event. Its going to uproot, just a matter of time. Its not near the house, but if it falls it will completely block my driveway. It is leaning in a NNE direction, so the winds in the upcoming event might do it.

Since the NAO block got going been rather active here 

HA hybrid events ....... wish it were winter, would be memorable.   Bummer 

nao.sprd2.gif

40 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

hah, maybe I should be going down to Charlottesville to chase for three days. My poor off-Grounds house is just sitting there vacant...

an enhanced, maybe moderate risk tomorrow? Then 6” of snow on the GFS Wednesday? Sign me up.

Imagine if you got 6 inches?  Warning event in April?  I know not happening but wow.  What a memory to have.  

9 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Another silly run of GFS.  psu called it.  Just silly

NAM and Canadian also showing tv snow east of BR.  Not giving up yet until DR. NO in another hour or so.  Also think the big storm needs to clear out before the midweek weak storm’s final track and strength is set in stone.  0Z Tuesday we should know.

2 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

NAM and Canadian also showing tv snow east of BR.  Not giving up yet until DR. NO in another hour or so.

GFS has improved East of BR every run since yesterday.  Usually the Canadian is most optimistic. Still eons of time for things to totally collapse on the models which is totally expected.  Fun to look at

12 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

now it’s 8 inches in CHO, haha. What a garbage model. CMC has got to be better at this point. ICON probably is too.

Even the NAM is telling the GFS  “whoa big fella...let me send you a link to a calendar brah”

4 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Bullseye to my SW..that could mean snow tv.  All I could hope for. 

I could believe 1-3" slushy acc. on grass. That would be the latest acc. during the last 50 years. Prior was 9" on April 7, 1971.

13 minutes ago, stormy said:

I could believe 1-3" slushy acc. on grass. That would be the latest acc. during the last 50 years. Prior was 9" on April 7, 1971.

For you yes I could see that.  I am elevation challenged.  Challenged in other ways too.  Flakes flying is my bar.  Even that might be too much for this late date.  

15 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I'll take 5-6" :lmao:

April 10 1996, and April 14 2014 both saw 3-5" in Carroll county so it has and can happen.  I believe April  18, 1983 put down 1-2" up here as well.

I'm pretty sure there was also a very late season snowfall in April 1993. I'm usually good at remembering details but for some reason that one is vague.  I think it was after the 10th and maybe closer to the 20th. I was attending Western Maryland College at the time and recall it snowing quite heavily at times until noon. The most on the ground at any time was maybe 2 inches.

• Like 1

• H2O unpinned this topic