• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

50 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Kind of what we expected. 

The order allows out-of-state and international health care workers to practice in New York. Additionally, it creates a fast track process for retired workers to get certified to work, and expands the list of people eligible to administer vaccinations.

24 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The order allows out-of-state and international health care workers to practice in New York. Additionally, it creates a fast track process for retired workers to get certified to work, and expands the list of people eligible to administer vaccinations.

I'm curious to see how well all that works to get people to work. As it is there are already a ton of openings for RNs at both Kaleida and Catholic without the firing of non vaccinated. Does calling an emergency suddenly spur people to apply? Are we actively pursuing citizens from other countries to fill these jobs?

Who would actually be excited to start working in New York state medical facilities right now?!?

It's similar to the teaching shortages right now...Who would WANT to start teaching right now? I really don't know how much more I can do this job. It's worse this year already compared to last year. The schools are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. The stress, anxiety, and panic...combined with "trying to teach like it's a normal year"....and kids in and out and virtual or not...and mask policing....and crazy Covid-caused behavior and tiktok challenges..and lack of Covid testing...and different viruses/allergies/etc. ramping up even more panic....

• Like 2

Deli was closed two days ago at tops on a Sunday afternoon..No workers.. Retail is taking a huge hit here in pulaski..It's also Salmon season and town is packed with out of staters, not many locals wanna deal with them.. And not many people wanna work for companies that are so short handed..

• Like 2

23 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I really don’t get how they can proclaim these mandates “to protect people’s health”, when it directly causes many already understaffed medical facilities to lose a large percentage of their staff.  

The current requirement is directly causing an immediate public health crisis, in an effort to avoid a possible, but increasingly unlikely public health crisis.  

It seems like a lot of people are really wrapped into a really strong fear of this thing.  I think everybody would do themselves a service to take a week off from all forms of media and go hiking, apple picking, golfing, visit friends, etc and see that the world is still turning and maybe they shouldn’t still be trying to shut the world down over this thing….

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, winter_rules said:

I think everybody would do themselves a service to take a week off from all forms of media and go hiking, apple picking, golfing, visit friends, etc and see that the world is still turning and maybe they shouldn’t still be trying to shut the world down over this thing….

THIS!!

On 9/28/2021 at 4:38 PM, Luke_Mages said:

I'm curious to see how well all that works to get people to work. As it is there are already a ton of openings for RNs at both Kaleida and Catholic without the firing of non vaccinated. Does calling an emergency suddenly spur people to apply? Are we actively pursuing citizens from other countries to fill these jobs?

Thats a good question. Not exactly sure. I think we have one more bad round of covid this winter before we break free from this thing next year, unless the government keeps prolonging it. It's definitely mades its way back to our area, my friend and his GF both have it and they are both vaccinated. (mild symptoms)

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Thats a good question. Not exactly sure. I think we have one more bad round of covid this winter before we break free from this thing next year, unless the government keeps prolonging it. It's definitely mades its way back to our area, my friend and his GF both have it and they are both vaccinated. (mild symptoms)

It is spreading like wildfire here in the NW burbs of the Cuse. By far the worst "outbreak" this area has seen since this whole thing started. So many people I know have it...possibly my wife... waiting on results....I am the one quarantined to the bedroom. (Lol)

14 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

On top of everything else approx. 2,000 medical workers at South Buffalo Mercy have planned to strike starting Friday over stalled contract negotiations.  These headlines are just crazy to read.  We are in the midst of a pandemic and we are firing doctors and nurses, I just don't get it.  2142341429_newsclips.png.65e2e8df0ab8fa5820809caf87109fe8.png      

This just fuels skeptics.  If this is such a crisis, why would you be so quick to fire health care workers when there is already a shortage?  Also, why are some groups (the Postal Service, for example) exempt from these mandates?  This isn't a very good sell job for those on the fence or those who have their heels dug in about not taking it.  The inconsistency and contradictions only causes more doubt and cynicism.  I did get vaccinated but I can understand the feelings of those on the other side.  

My wife tested positive for Covid, so I won't be going into work for the rest of this week into next. She is miserable out in the living room. So far, she said it's like a very bad head cold, but she's worried about drainage into her lungs. Asthma runs in her family.

Hopefully the second vaccine shot I got last Friday, combined with my immune system, will keep me healthy.

Covid is such a fascinating thing. Over the past year and a half, there have just been trickling cases in our community with an uptick last November.....but the past couple weeks it has just been a WAVE of Covid here. I'm guessing the Delta variant and it's ability to spread. When your community is under the gun, it just pummels...and it puts it into perspective what you've been watching on the news for months and months about certain areas being hotspots.

Baldwinsville is certainly a hotspot right now. It's hard to find families here right now that aren't dealing with it. Half my church is sick. My school I work at is sending kids home left and right. It's just CRAZY right now. By far the WORST I've experienced so far.

So, THIS is what they mean when they talk about the dangers of this virus....doctors, urgent cares, hospitals...swamped.

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

My wife tested positive for Covid, so I won't be going into work for the rest of this week into next. She is miserable out in the living room. So far, she said it's like a very bad head cold, but she's worried about drainage into her lungs. Asthma runs in her family.

Hopefully the second vaccine shot I got last Friday, combined with my immune system, will keep me healthy.

Covid is such a fascinating thing. Over the past year and a half, there have just been trickling cases in our community with an uptick last November.....but the past couple weeks it has just been a WAVE of Covid here. I'm guessing the Delta variant and it's ability to spread. When your community is under the gun, it just pummels...and it puts it into perspective what you've been watching on the news for months and months about certain areas being hotspots.

Baldwinsville is certainly a hotspot right now. It's hard to find families here right now that aren't dealing with it. Half my church is sick. My school I work at is sending kids home left and right. It's just CRAZY right now. By far the WORST I've experienced so far.

So, THIS is what they mean when they talk about the dangers of this virus....doctors, urgent cares, hospitals...swamped.

Does she have a fever?

1 hour ago, DeltaT13 said:

My wife has been incredibly sick for the past 6 days.  Tested negative for Covid and Strep.  Not sure what it is, but its kicking her ass bad right now.  Scary time to be so sick with everything going on.  

Sorry to hear that, Delta. Maybe it was a "false negative?" I don't know how common those are?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DeltaT13 said:

My wife has been incredibly sick for the past 6 days.  Tested negative for Covid and Strep.  Not sure what it is, but its kicking her ass bad right now.  Scary time to be so sick with everything going on.  

I talked to a client at work who has a bad sinus infection right now. Covid has been ruled out several times. Hopefully other maladies aren’t too prevalent this year along with Covid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gmendevils8204 said:

I talked to a client at work who has a bad sinus infection right now. Covid has been ruled out several times. Hopefully other maladies aren’t too prevalent this year along with Covid.

Battled back to back sinus infections over the summer.  Both times felt like it was a good 3 weeks to get cleared out.  Funny how both times in the past 18 months I have been sick was during a "mask free" period.  My daughter has been having a rough go since going back to school.  Second week of class she caught a mild cold but the school felt her cough was excessive so we had to get her tested and she missed 2 days.  She cleared up and was fine last week and then a few days ago she got the cough back with various sinus issues and a fever.  2 more negative COVID tests this week and another 4 missed days, might as well go back to virtual, this is turning into a pain in the... and in between all of that my son had to go get tested as 2 kids in his class tested positive     

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Battled back to back sinus infections over the summer.  Both times felt like it was a good 3 weeks to get cleared out.  Funny how both times in the past 18 months I have been sick was during a "mask free" period.  My daughter has been having a rough go since going back to school.  Second week of class she caught a mild cold but the school felt her cough was excessive so we had to get her tested and she missed 2 days.  She cleared up and was fine last week and then a few days ago she got the cough back with various sinus issues and a fever.  2 more negative COVID tests this week and another 4 missed days, might as well go back to virtual, this is turning into a pain in the... and in between all of that my son had to go get tested as 2 kids in his class tested positive     

Yep...school has been a nightmare! This year has been far more frustrating to teach than last year. It's ridiculous. How are students supposed to learn and teachers teach when every day we have different students leaving and maybe one or two returning and then leaving again....it's such chaos. If there was a year out of the 3 school seasons to close down the schools and do virtual...this would be it.

3 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Yep...school has been a nightmare! This year has been far more frustrating to teach than last year. It's ridiculous. How are students supposed to learn and teachers teach when every day we have different students leaving and maybe one or two returning and then leaving again....it's such chaos. If there was a year out of the 3 school seasons to close down the schools and do virtual...this would be it.

Yeah, I’m starting to wonder if it’s better to just bite the bullet and go back to virtual until more kids can get vaccinated. I know they’re hoping to make children ages 5-11 eligible by November but it’s going to take awhile to roll it out en masse.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gmendevils8204 said:

Yeah, I’m starting to wonder if it’s better to just bite the bullet and go back to virtual until more kids can get vaccinated. I know they’re hoping to make children ages 5-11 eligible by November but it’s going to take awhile to roll it out en masse.

It's such a tough situation. Do we let kids get exposed naturally and build their immune systems up? But then there is risk with that, as kids aren't invincible from serious cases. Many of the kids getting it around here aren't in serious condition from it. But in addition to Covid, the other viruses and bacteria seem to be out with a vengeance as well. We have maaaany students out with influenza, sinus infections, strep throat, etc... in addition to Covid....and lots of allergies this Fall. Then, they can't return to school because there aren't enough places to get tested, and test results are taking a long time to get back because of staff shortages. Onondaga county is finally opening up a test center for school kids and staff to get tested. Our country is such a mess right now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

It's such a tough situation. Do we let kids get exposed naturally and build their immune systems up? But then there is risk with that, as kids aren't invincible from serious cases. Many of the kids getting it around here aren't in serious condition from it. But in addition to Covid, the other viruses and bacteria seem to be out with a vengeance as well. We have maaaany students out with influenza, sinus infections, strep throat, etc... in addition to Covid....and lots of allergies this Fall. Then, they can't return to school because there aren't enough places to get tested, and test results are taking a long time to get back because of staff shortages. Onondaga county is finally opening up a test center for school kids and staff to get tested. Our country is such a mess right now.

RSV is going around bad. My entire family got it. My wife was basically asymptomatic I was only slightly sick, my son (2) and daughter (1) had a fairly bad “cold” but my 2 month old was hospitalized in the ICU for 10 days. While in the hospital with him we were talking to the nurses who said more than half the floor at the time we were there was full of RSV patients and it’s hitting kids of all ages WAY harder then Covid. Was very scary for him and glad that he pulled through but was a rough go for a while as he was on the highest amount of High Flow oxygen for 3 days and was nearly intubated. 

• Sad 2

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic