• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

15 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

RSV is going around bad. My entire family got it. My wife was basically asymptomatic I was only slightly sick, my son (2) and daughter (1) had a fairly bad “cold” but my 2 month old was hospitalized in the ICU for 10 days. While in the hospital with him we were talking to the nurses who said more than half the floor at the time we were there was full of RSV patients and it’s hitting kids of all ages WAY harder then Covid. Was very scary for him and glad that he pulled through but was a rough go for a while as he was on the highest amount of High Flow oxygen for 3 days and was nearly intubated. 

I didn't even know what RSV was until you told me. Does it mainly affect children vs adults? It's a virus just like Covid is? 

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I didn't even know what RSV was until you told me. Does it mainly affect children vs adults? It's a virus just like Covid is? 

Yes it is a virus. Mostly affects kids but adults can get it but usually much more mild like a common “cold”

https://www.cdc.gov/rsv/about/symptoms.html

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

I guess they are hiring travel nurses to make up for the strike? Going to be a fun fall/winter flu/covid season. 

2 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

RSV is going around bad. My entire family got it. My wife was basically asymptomatic I was only slightly sick, my son (2) and daughter (1) had a fairly bad “cold” but my 2 month old was hospitalized in the ICU for 10 days. While in the hospital with him we were talking to the nurses who said more than half the floor at the time we were there was full of RSV patients and it’s hitting kids of all ages WAY harder then Covid. Was very scary for him and glad that he pulled through but was a rough go for a while as he was on the highest amount of High Flow oxygen for 3 days and was nearly intubated. 

Oh my! Very scary. We are seeing how density dependent factors like illnesses are taking their toll with an increasing human population. 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

My friend's 4-year old was in the hospital with RSV last week.  He's doing much better fortunately but it was a scary couple of days.  He had just started preschool also.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

@TugHillMatthow is your wife feeling today? 

Hey, thanks for asking. She's still in rough shape. She can only get up for a few seconds to do something real quick and then she's out of energy.  Heavy coughing, congestion, and headaches. She blew a clump of blood out of her nose this morning. She has been sleeping A LOT. Day 4 of being down. We just found out another friend here was admitted to the hospital with Covid. :( 

• Sad 4

2 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

ANOTHER friend just admitted to hospital with Covid-pneumonia.

This virus/variant is no joke.

Yeah this variant killed my buddies wife at 42 years old. When all the data comes out I think Delta will have a higher mortality rate then the original strain. Going to be tough to compare the data as vaccines have been out, imagine Delta without the vaccine...

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah this variant killed my buddies wife at 42 years old. When all the data comes out I think Delta will have a higher mortality rate then the original strain. Going to be tough to compare the data as vaccines have been out, imagine Delta without the vaccine...

Agreed. Even a couple of our friends who are HARDCORE anti-vax were questioning/possibly regretting not getting vaxxed after they are STILL sick on day 12. They didn't say it directly, but I could sense in the way they were talking...

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

Agreed. Even a couple of our friends who are HARDCORE anti-vax were questioning/possibly regretting not getting vaxxed after they are STILL sick on day 12. They didn't say it directly, but I could sense in the way they were talking...

Yeah I mean 6 billion people around the world have had the shot, if there were any bad side effects we'd know by now. Its been out for over a year now. The long haul covid is very real and not something I would ever want. 

On 10/2/2021 at 9:11 AM, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I mean 6 billion people around the world have had the shot, if there were any bad side effects we'd know by now. Its been out for over a year now. The long haul covid is very real and not something I would ever want. 

6 billion doses for 2.7 billion people.  So about 33% percent of the world pop. I’m only clarifying this because if we were actually at 6 billion people fully vaxed we’d be a heck of a lot closer to herd immunity.  Still we are making slow incremental progress. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

Well, my wife's oxygen level was at 93 and she couldn't breathe so I took her to the ER.

Her vitals were fine so they didn't take her in immediately. It's been THREE HOURS and she can't breathe! She just texted me and said "I might as well die at home."

It’s unfortunate and not optimal for anyone but our health care facilities are overrun with unvaccinated people infected with COVID.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cny rider said:

It’s unfortunate and not optimal for anyone but our health care facilities are overrun with unvaccinated people infected with COVID.

That's not what the data shows. Out of the 77% of total US ICU beds in use, only 23% (of total) are for COVID. Only 11% (of total) for COVID in New York. 

Currently RSV appears to be overrunning the ICUs in many states. RSV has proven to be significantly worse for children than Covid, especially in the neonatal period. It's also very rough on the elderly. Moderna has received a fast-track for their RSV mRNA vaccine (mRNA-1345). They are currently recruiting for Phase 1 trials: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04528719

We SHOULD be tracking RSV ICU usage as it's a simple 5 minute test, but I don't think that fits the narrative.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33225779/

https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/hospital-utilization

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, vortmax said:

That's not what the data shows. Out of the 77% of total US ICU beds in use, only 23% (of total) are for COVID. Only 11% (of total) for COVID in New York. 

Currently RSV appears to be overrunning the ICUs in many states. RSV has proven to be significantly worse for children than Covid, especially in the neonatal period. It's also very rough on the elderly. Moderna has received a fast-track for their RSV mRNA vaccine (mRNA-1345). They are currently recruiting for Phase 1 trials: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04528719

We SHOULD be tracking RSV ICU usage as it's a simple 5 minute test, but I don't think that fits the narrative.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33225779/

https://protect-public.hhs.gov/pages/hospital-utilization

ICU beds are a small fraction of the beds and healthcare provided in a hospital.

On 10/3/2021 at 12:22 PM, TugHillMatt said:

Well, my wife's oxygen level was at 93 and she couldn't breathe so I took her to the ER.

Her vitals were fine so they didn't take her in immediately. It's been THREE HOURS and she can't breathe! She just texted me and said "I might as well die at home."

Whats the latest?  Is her oxygen stable?  Getting better?  Scary stuff.  

48 minutes ago, cny rider said:

ICU beds are a small fraction of the beds and healthcare provided in a hospital.

Good point. On that same data site it shows, for the US, a 75% (of total) use of inpatient beds (587k of 780k) and only a 9% use for Covid (70k of 780k). I'm sure there are another 150k beds not reported (not all hospitals are reporting), but to say the US hospitals are being overrun by Covid right now isn't factual, at least not in general - there may be some hotspot areas, of course.

image.thumb.png.04e890ebd455a2cb0749c370b6787f7b.png

• Like 2

On 10/3/2021 at 12:22 PM, TugHillMatt said:

This right here is why everyone should get vaccinated. Who wants to go through this? This is scary stuff. Your family is in our thoughts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

This right here is why everyone should get vaccinated. Who wants to go through this? This is scary stuff. Your family is in our thoughts.

I thought they both got vax? Or just Tug? Regardless, I hope she recovers quickly. Praying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, vortmax said:

I thought they both got vax? Or just Tug? Regardless, I hope she recovers quickly. Praying.

On 9/30/2021 at 3:02 PM, TugHillMatt said:

She had her first one scheduled for the same evening as my 2nd one. But, she ended up starting her period and was nervous about getting the vaccine during that time.

On 9/30/2021 at 4:00 PM, DeltaT13 said:

My wife has been incredibly sick for the past 6 days.  Tested negative for Covid and Strep.  Not sure what it is, but its kicking her ass bad right now.  Scary time to be so sick with everything going on.  

How is she doing?? Better I hope?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

My friend is a nurse practitioner in buffalo and everyone of his covid patients are unvaxxed.

I would expect that for most hospitals...the vax is doing its job. They just, in general aren't overrun - from a beds perspective. The staffing is a different issue.

46 minutes ago, vortmax said:

How is she doing?? Better I hope?

Yup, finally turned the corner on Saturday morning, so very sick for 7 days.  She missed 5 straight days of work which I had never seen her do before.  I'm assuming it was RSV as I've heard that is currently circulating wildly and even taking down adults pretty hard.  I isolated from her all week in our guest bedroom and appear to have dodged it.  She's still hacking away with the residual crap in her lungs though; which I imagine will be ongoing for a couple of weeks.  

• Sad 3

5 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

Yup, finally turned the corner on Saturday morning, so very sick for 7 days.  She missed 5 straight days of work which I had never seen her do before.  I'm assuming it was RSV as I've heard that is currently circulating wildly and even taking down adults pretty hard.  I isolated from her all week in our guest bedroom and appear to have dodged it.  She's still hacking away with the residual crap in her lungs though; which I imagine will be ongoing for a couple of weeks.  

My entire family got it about 2 years ago, including my 6 month old (at the time). It was the worst cold I've had in a long time, but he had some minor breathing issues that were thankfully cleared up quickly via a nebulizer. I remember the pediatrician nurse that came in with a cold herself (and no mask - this was pre-Covid) and I basically kicked her out of the room until she put one one and washed her hands. LOL.

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic