• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY Banter and General Discussion..

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

So we won the lawsuit for the fence but the business failed to pay me. It’s an LLC so not sure what we can do…they probably dissolved the business and created a new one. 

Currently downtown at county court office issuing subpoenas to every bank in western New York. I’m learning so much about the law during this process. I still have it on my resume that I won in court, I should totally go to law school. I destroyed the guy in court. 

The 30 days to pay passed?

7 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah. I knew they wouldn't pay and since they were an LLC you could not sue them individually.

Well in that case we need to go full Goodfellows on this guy. :gun:

Im sure you’ve already done this but make sure you write about that everywhere you can, Yelp, google reviews etc. Be sure to use the guys name  because like you said he’ll probably just start another business. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, matt8204 said:

I saw where the Sabres stripped the captaincy from Eichel.  How long will this continue?  He clearly doesn't want to be in Buffalo any longer.  Get what you can for the guy and move on.  An unhappy player isn't going to produce up to his potential anyway.

Yeah its crazy. I never thought it would come to this, a terrible look for the franchise. Eichel still gets paid full salary this year unless he gets suspended which I don't think he does. We tanked 2 years for him or McDavid just to mishandle this so bad I cannot put into words.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2021 at 11:12 AM, DeltaT13 said:

I know its Breitbart, but oh my...the mental gymnastics needed to make this argument.  It's 12D chess man...  Now its the left's fault that the right won't get vaccinated.  Good grief. 

https://www.breitbart.com/entertainment/2021/09/10/nolte-howard-stern-proves-democrats-want-unvaccinated-trump-voters-dead/

I'd suggest taking a listen to Matt Taibbi's short dissection that addresses at elements of this topic:  Does America Hate The "Poorly Educated"?  Its quite recent.  It's not paywalled and 15 minutes of coherent obervation.  As one of the multiple "credentialed" in society I've listened to this phenomenon for years now but couldn't put a finger on it.  Matt does.  

2 hours ago, Syrmax said:

I'd suggest taking a listen to Matt Taibbi's short dissection that addresses at elements of this topic:  Does America Hate The "Poorly Educated"?  Its quite recent.  It's not paywalled and 15 minutes of coherent obervation.  As one of the multiple "credentialed" in society I've listened to this phenomenon for years now but couldn't put a finger on it.  Matt does.  

Just listened to it. Very interesting and I can see how this is/has been accelerating over the past 5 years. I don't see how meritocracy turns out well for the Left as the black communities (especially men) are at the bottom of the 'credentialed' ladder.

57 minutes ago, vortmax said:

Just listened to it. Very interesting and I can see how this is/has been accelerating over the past 5 years. I don't see how meritocracy turns out well for the Left as the black communities (especially men) are at the bottom of the 'credentialed' ladder.

Yeah its interesting.  Doesn't explain everything going on but its a factor.  Both parties rely on certain shibboleths to hold their traditional base voters.   If you challenge those, the ideologue reacts as if you are challenging their religion or birthright.  Which it sort of is.

Taibbi touches on one thing i've seen in my lifetime that's underappreciated...that the GOP base has been enlarged by middle/working class voters, in part due to dissatisfaction with the results of globalization...which was brought to us by the Meritocracy, for our own good of course.  People aren't stupid so they sense they're being screwed and react.  Hence, some of the reason that Bernie Bros and Trumpists share more than a little common ground on that issue.   

The Dems used to position themselves, and still try to, as the working class party and also as champions of free-enterprise and social democracy goals (welfare state)... but they've lurched further left into neo-Marxist identity politics (anyone disagreeing is dumb/racist/misogynist etc).  I've heard this from acquaintances / bar conversations where anyone who doesn't agree with their version of events or ideals (usually Republicans) are dismissed as dumb and worthy of being discriminated against.  It's really quite appalling to hear come out of people's mouths.  I just sit and stare at them wondering if their past-lives were as Vernichtungslager or Siberian Gulag guards.  Not that most Dems are neo-Marxists mind you but they are forced to cater to it to appease their progressive base...not unlike how Rumpists are pushing the GOP further right with their conspiracy-addled thinking in conjunction with the social conservative base (see TX heartbeat law etc).  There's a grain of truth to both extremes but left to their own devices, either would be a horror show of governance.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

Yeah its interesting.  Doesn't explain everything going on but its a factor.  Both parties rely on certain shibboleths to hold their traditional base voters.   If you challenge those, the ideologue reacts as if you are challenging their religion or birthright.  Which it sort of is.

Taibbi touches on one thing i've seen in my lifetime that's underappreciated...that the GOP base has been enlarged by middle/working class voters, in part due to dissatisfaction with the results of globalization...which was brought to us by the Meritocracy, for our own good of course.  People aren't stupid so they sense they're being screwed and react.  Hence, some of the reason that Bernie Bros and Trumpists share more than a little common ground on that issue.   

The Dems used to position themselves, and still try to, as the working class party and also as champions of free-enterprise and social democracy goals (welfare state)... but they've lurched further left into neo-Marxist identity politics (anyone disagreeing is dumb/racist/misogynist etc).  I've heard this from acquaintances / bar conversations where anyone who doesn't agree with their version of events or ideals (usually Republicans) are dismissed as dumb and worthy of being discriminated against.  It's really quite appalling to hear come out of people's mouths.  I just sit and stare at them wondering if their past-lives were as Vernichtungslager or Siberian Gulag guards.  Not that most Dems are neo-Marxists mind you but they are forced to cater to it to appease their progressive base...not unlike how Rumpists are pushing the GOP further right with their conspiracy-addled thinking in conjunction with the social conservative base (see TX heartbeat law etc).  There's a grain of truth to both extremes but left to their own devices, either would be a horror show of governance.

Excellent post.  It amazes me to observe how little self-awareness some people have.  They purport to be against discrimination, racism, prejudice, etc...but they have absolutely no qualms about lumping all people who dare to disagree with them into the exact same bucket.  Some even call for these folks to be exiled from society.  They're engaging in the very behavior that they claim to abhor.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, matt8204 said:

Excellent post.  It amazes me to observe how little self-awareness some people have.  They purport to be against discrimination, racism, prejudice, etc...but they have absolutely no qualms about lumping all people who dare to disagree with them into the exact same bucket.  Some even call for these folks to be exiled from society.  They're engaging in the very behavior that they claim to abhor.  

If there is one thing I have learned in my time, it is that the vast majority of people are selfish hypocrites.  Doesn’t matter “which side” of politics they claim to support.

Case in point:  We are working on a long dead end private gravel road on a lake.  Nearly everyone is very wealthy.  One place near the middle of the road has BLM and rainbow flags flying out front.  White seemingly “traditional” family unit.  Property owners along the road pay into a common fund to maintain the shared private road. They buy a load or two of crusher run periodically and a few owners take turns with their compact tractors improving the road.  Everyone contributes annually except the guy with the “inclusive” flags out front who has never contributed.  Funny how that works.  

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 9/23/2021 at 9:34 PM, winter_rules said:

If there is one thing I have learned in my time, it is that the vast majority of people are selfish hypocrites.  Doesn’t matter “which side” of politics they claim to support.

Case in point:  We are working on a long dead end private gravel road on a lake.  Nearly everyone is very wealthy.  One place near the middle of the road has BLM and rainbow flags flying out front.  White seemingly “traditional” family unit.  Property owners along the road pay into a common fund to maintain the shared private road. They buy a load or two of crusher run periodically and a few owners take turns with their compact tractors improving the road.  Everyone contributes annually except the guy with the “inclusive” flags out front who has never contributed.  Funny how that works.  

Not surprised. It’s easy to fly flags, put bumper stickers on your car and signs on your lawn. Anybody can do that. Your real character shows through your actions and how you actually treat others. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, rochesterdave said:

It’s always refreshing to jump in here and read the well-reasoned and rational discussions you all have. Especially after being exposed to the hyperbolic cesspool that FB has become. 

Faceberg is a total crap other than seeing what friends might be up to. The "news" and moronic political posts make for a cauldron of idiocy.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2021 at 8:49 PM, rochesterdave said:

It’s always refreshing to jump in here and read the well-reasoned and rational discussions you all have. Especially after being exposed to the hyperbolic cesspool that FB has become. 

Best thing I have done for my mental health is getting off FB.  Been using it less and less this year and recently just deactivated my account and deleted the app.  Politics, Drama, Scams, just so much "noise"... it's really just a wasteland for your mind to become lost.  I do like using Twitter now.  You can really narrow down your feed to more custom results of your interests.  You can search real time happening events a lot easier as well.  Just has better functionality in my opinion.  Also if you don't use your real info , you can be a ghost, feels good to disappear in a way.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

Best thing I have done for my mental health is getting off FB.  Been using it less and less this year and recently just deactivated my account and deleted the app.  Politics, Drama, Scams, just so much "noise"... it's really just a wasteland for your mind to become lost.  I do like using Twitter now.  You can really narrow down your feed to more custom results of your interests.  You can search real time happening events a lot easier as well.  Just has better functionality in my opinion.  Also if you don't use your real info , you can be a ghost, feels good to disappear in a way.

Agree I rarely use facebook. I use instagram quite a bit to document my travels. I love looking back at all my trips. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills are back, what a game! Was able to grab tickets for $65 each in low 200 level. Temps were in the mid 60s with 20-25 mph winds. 

Ya I cant believe how cheap some of the tix were going for. Only one couple who sat next to us the first game was back for this game. I should have got my tix refunded and bought second hand each game :(

3 hours ago, Luke_Mages said:

Ya I cant believe how cheap some of the tix were going for. Only one couple who sat next to us the first game was back for this game. I should have got my tix refunded and bought second hand each game :(

I was shocked at how relaxed they were at checking vaccines. They didn't match anything just looked at my phone. Anyone could have taken a picture and gone to game. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I was shocked at how relaxed they were at checking vaccines. They didn't match anything just looked at my phone. Anyone could have taken a picture and gone to game. 

Yep same.

Meanwhile we've had an outbreak of Covid where I work, all among vaccinated employees. One had moderate symptoms, and also had covid last spring. 

Guess its not as uncommon as I thought.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm#T1_down

10 minutes ago, Luke_Mages said:

Yep same.

Meanwhile we've had an outbreak of Covid where I work, all among vaccinated employees. One had moderate symptoms, and also had covid last spring. 

Guess its not as uncommon as I thought.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7032e1.htm#T1_down

Yeah its pretty common, just designed to keep you from getting really sick and require care/hospitalization. 

11 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills are back, what a game! Was able to grab tickets for $65 each in low 200 level. Temps were in the mid 60s with 20-25 mph winds. 

You guys seem to have bounced back well after a tough opening day. Looking good. Meanwhile, my Giants continue to circle the drain. Oof.

• Like 3

Hey, all. I got my second Covid vaccine on Friday evening. I didn't get any of the "typical side effects" but I truly believe it messed with my nervous system. I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder...and I will tell you, Saturday and Sunday (especially Saturday) were HELL. My brain was stuck in ruminating mode and it was non-stop panic attack-feeling. I couldn't do anything all weekend because my anxiety was so high. Probably one of he worst "episodes" I've ever had. I sat in my recliner the entire weekend.

I am feeling more "normal" today. Hopefully it was just a very temporary response of my body (brain/nervous system) responding to this introduction of m-RNA and proteins.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, all. I got my second Covid vaccine on Friday evening. I didn't get any of the "typical side effects" but I truly believe it messed with my nervous system. I have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder...and I will tell you, Saturday and Sunday (especially Saturday) were HELL. My brain was stuck in ruminating mode and it was non-stop panic attack-feeling. I couldn't do anything all weekend because my anxiety was so high. Probably one of he worst "episodes" I've ever had. I sat in my recliner the entire weekend.

I am feeling more "normal" today. Hopefully it was just a very temporary response of my body (brain/nervous system) responding to this introduction of m-RNA and proteins.

I had the same thing the night of my 2nd shot. It was terrible. I still swear Covid impacts people in very different ways. I think I had it in January with all the brain issues I was having and then again the night of the 2nd shot. I was confused, dizzy, shortness of breath for 1-2 days after the 2nd shot, especially at night. 

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

We flew back home from Iceland a month ago.

We had the antigen test done as required two days before returning to the States.  It took a lot of planning and hassle.

Nobody ever asked to see the test result.

I'm assuming (hoping) they get them from the airline or directly from the Icelandic Health service?

12 minutes ago, cny rider said:

We flew back home from Iceland a month ago.

We had the antigen test done as required two days before returning to the States.  It took a lot of planning and hassle.

Nobody ever asked to see the test result.

I'm assuming (hoping) they get them from the airline or directly from the Icelandic Health service?

I was under the impression that you had to prove you had a negative test within 72 hours of flying in order to board an airplane? If not they send you back until you get one. 

51 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I was under the impression that you had to prove you had a negative test within 72 hours of flying in order to board an airplane? If not they send you back until you get one. 

That's what I thought also...at least those are the stated requirements from the US Dept of State on their website. Requires proof of Vax to fly overseas and also a neg antigen test prior to returning (w/in 72 hrs of flt). 

However I also was talking with someone that went back to visit home in Europe last summer and he said noone asked him either....on either leg of the trip. Not the airlines or customs in any country.  I'm planning on going to Amsterdam and Germany next month so I'll be curious to see what's up. Being vaxxed, I don't need a test to get there but US has been requiring a neg antigen test for everyone entering US (unless you're illegally entering ;) ), even if you are vaxxed. Whether anyone is actually checking is another question...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yep that’s the rules.

I had my phone in hand with everyone’s certificates ready as we went through the whole airline check in and customs processing…..and nobody ever asked to see it.

• Like 1

• Rjay locked and unlocked this topic