Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    16,915
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    seodirect
    Newest Member
    seodirect
    Joined

Coronavirus


Chicago Storm
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I am neither. I am independent. I just want whats best for America. Politics is destroying our country which is greiviously sad. We have taken common sense issues and made it all liberal vs conservative. I HATE POLITICS :angry:

Really, in the end, I think we all just want Covid to be over with (the sane people). Just a lot of disagreements on how to get there and how long to take to get there. I truly completely agree with you that at this point the vaccine is the fastest way there. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The media is fear mongering. We've been with covid for over a year now. This pandemic is quite similar to the 1918-1919 one. The first case was found in April of 1918 and ended in late 1919. That is without vaccines. This thing is toast by summer or the end of the year. Unless the media controls the narrative which is completely possible.

image.png.d772ab1de7fd097b6b7961152b2c9aa7.png

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

The media is fear mongering. We've been with covid for over a year now. This pandemic is quite similar to the 1918-1919 one. The first case was found in April of 1918 and ended in late 1919. That is without vaccines. This thing is toast by summer or the end of the year. Unless the media controls the narrative which is completely possible.

image.png.d772ab1de7fd097b6b7961152b2c9aa7.png

We'll certainly be a lot better off by then, but I feel this could be a bit overly optimistic.  Without vaccines/mitigation measures, the R0 of covid is substantially higher than the estimates for the Spanish Flu (particularly with some of the covid variants).  Of course we have vaccines this time which helps a lot.  But there will be a portion of adults who do not take the vaccine, and it will likely be months until kids under 16 can receive the vaccine, with some evidence suggesting that the variants infect kids easier than before.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

We'll certainly be a lot better off by then, but I feel this could be a bit overly optimistic.  Without vaccines/mitigation measures, the R0 of covid is substantially higher than the estimates for the Spanish Flu (particularly with some of the covid variants).  Of course we have vaccines this time which helps a lot.  But there will be a portion of adults who do not take the vaccine, and it will likely be months until kids under 16 can receive the vaccine, with some evidence suggesting that the variants infect kids easier than before.

We care about deaths though, right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

It’s relevant when the vast majority of someone’s posts on a WEATHER forum are in a thread about coronavirus.

Imagine scolding someone for posting about coronavirus in a thread titled “coronavirus”. You’re here too, posting, you know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

We'll certainly be a lot better off by then, but I feel this could be a bit overly optimistic.  Without vaccines/mitigation measures, the R0 of covid is substantially higher than the estimates for the Spanish Flu (particularly with some of the covid variants).  Of course we have vaccines this time which helps a lot.  But there will be a portion of adults who do not take the vaccine, and it will likely be months until kids under 16 can receive the vaccine, with some evidence suggesting that the variants infect kids easier than before.

If they decide to not get the vaccines that's on them, they are taking that risk. Everyone else should be living like they were before covid. That is what vaccines are for right? Not to social distance, wear a mask, and limit capacity everywhere. If all that still happens than what is the point of all of this? You do realize more kids under 16 die from the flu then covid right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So today was the first day without the state mask mandate in IN.  Went to the grocery store to get a few things.  The store still requires masks but I was wondering if I was going to see anybody without one.  Everybody in the store was wearing one.  Granted I was in there for a short amount of time and it is just one location, but it looked and felt exactly the same as before.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

So today was the first day without the state mask mandate in IN.  Went to the grocery store to get a few things.  The store still requires masks but I was wondering if I was going to see anybody without one.  Everybody in the store was wearing one.  Granted I was in there for a short amount of time and it is just one location, but it looked and felt exactly the same as before.

There was maybe two or three at work walking around without one, same as before otherwise. I’ve got friends in Dallas that said nothing really changed there since the mask mandate ended. Other than baseball games, of course 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is a personal anecdote.  I have no usable hearing in my left ear and a serious loss partially corrected by a hearing aid in my right ear.  As best as it could be determined this happened as the result of my getting measles as a youngster in the pre measles, mumps, rubella vaccine days of the 1950's.  I wish the vaccine had been developed by that time.  It troubles me that so many people are making this a political statement in one way or another.  I value science.  I also know why some African Americans are hesitant to get the vaccine due to prior legitimate governmental horror stories in the historical record.  I just wish we can work to urge people to take the vaccine not only for themselves but for the common good of the country so we can get back to some semblance of normalcy to address the concerns of many regarding employment, schools, etc.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Iowa just opened up to everyone.  I figured I wouldn't be able to get the shot til May, but I was fortunate to check the vaccine scheduler website for the local grocery store/pharmacy chain at the right time this evening, shortly after they opened a bunch of slots.  I get the Pfizer shot Wednesday evening.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3867475/

It is important to remember pandemics often differ from each other in duration, severity and most effected populations.  The 1890 pandemic (generally assumed to be influenza but coronavirus OC43 has recently been suggested as a cause) occurred in waves over 3 separate years.

Interesting read.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Regarding Florida, I can't find it now but I read something maybe a couple weeks ago that suggested that the death toll there was underreported by several thousand.  Anyone else remember reading something like that?  Again I can't find that story right now for some reason but may look for it again later when I have more time.

 

3 hours ago, Hoosier said:

I know what I read.  I will find it come hell or high water.  Also important to point out that an undercount of deaths doesn't necessarily mean it's because of an orchestrated conspiracy.  Could be an innocent reason.

Found it.  Not the same website that I originally saw it on, but it's the same story.  Not all of the 4924 would be covid deaths, but may be reasonable to assume most are.  Florida is a huge state though so when accounting for population size, this undercount may not stand out from other states.

 

Results. Our results suggest that Florida experienced 19 241 (15.5%) excess deaths above historical trends from March to September 2020, including 14 317 COVID-19 deaths and an additional 4924 all-cause, excluding COVID-19, deaths in that period.

 

https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/10.2105/AJPH.2020.306130

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

Imagine scolding someone for posting about coronavirus in a thread titled “coronavirus”. You’re here too, posting, you know. 

You got me. Back in the winter, when I was afraid to leave my house because of covid, I was on a Zoom call with a friend (well, let’s be real, an acquaintance, because I have no social skills or friends), who said “I post a lot on on this forum called American Weather because I’m cool. I know you don’t give a rat’s a** about weather, but they have this coronavirus thread where you can spout your hardcore pro-vax drivel. You should check it out!” And the rest is history.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The issue is that the same people who lurk because they "don't know much about the weather" somehow think that they are entitled to voice their opinions in here when they clearly know even less about virology. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Chambana said:

Typical liberal. Because CNN or MSNBC refuses to acknowledge a border crisis, you take it as a conspiracy theory.

Wow that wall of text you posted, nice work there outing yourself on this one. You are probably the type that didn't view it as a crisis until January 21st this year. Even though its been a crisis for years. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Malacka11 said:

The issue is that the same people who lurk because they "don't know much about the weather" somehow think that they are entitled to voice their opinions in here when they clearly know even less about virology. 

A bigger question would be why the hell they are here to begin with. There are cesspools they can go fester in elsewhere on the internet.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

The issue is that the same people who lurk because they "don't know much about the weather" somehow think that they are entitled to voice their opinions in here when they clearly know even less about virology. 

Everybody here has been through the exact same number of global pandemics 

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

Everybody here has been through the exact same number of global pandemics 

So if “number of global pandemics survived” is directly correlated to one’s knowledge of virology, is “number of thunderstorms survived” a valid measurement for one’s knowledge of meteorology?

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

So if “number of global pandemics survived” is directly correlated to one’s knowledge of virology, is “number of thunderstorms survived” a valid measurement for one’s knowledge of meteorology?

There isn't anybody in here claiming to be experts in virology. The guy who keeps posting about "virology" and "science" hasn't posted a scientific reference since I have been following this thread. Again, you are for some reason obsessed with making it seem strange that people are talking about Covid in a Covid thread, while you are also hanging out in the Covid thread. Go talk about weather if you feel so strongly that's what everyone should be doing here. In case you haven't noticed, its the biggest thing doing on in the world right now and for a lot of us, our lifetimes. People are going to be talking about it on any of the normal platforms they visit in any place that is designated for them to do so. It would be weird if they didn't. 

Anyways. Scheduled for the vaccine May 21st. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

There isn't anybody in here claiming to be experts in virology. The guy who keeps posting about "virology" and "science" hasn't posted a scientific reference since I have been following this thread. Again, you are for some reason obsessed with making it seem strange that people are talking about Covid in a Covid thread, while you are also hanging out in the Covid thread. Go talk about weather if you feel so strongly that's what everyone should be doing here. In case you haven't noticed, its the biggest thing doing on in the world right now and for a lot of us, our lifetimes. People are going to be talking about it on any of the normal platforms they visit in any place that is designated for them to do so. It would be weird if they didn't. 

Anyways. Scheduled for the vaccine May 21st. 

Fair enough, and all valid points. I certainly would say of the people in this thread with opposing viewpoints to mine, yours are the most reasonable and logical. The “face diapers” and “snow shovel in Barbados” guys are making you all look bad. And unfortunately spending a year on Facebook and Twitter during a global pandemic sometimes makes it hard to separate the “your face diaper is useless” types from the reasonable people with reasonable concerns.

Edit: social media is the devil. At least on a weather forum we all (with the exception of a few that I’m still on the fence about) have a common interest.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

If they decide to not get the vaccines that's on them, they are taking that risk. Everyone else should be living like they were before covid. That is what vaccines are for right? Not to social distance, wear a mask, and limit capacity everywhere. If all that still happens than what is the point of all of this? You do realize more kids under 16 die from the flu then covid right?

The messaging with the vaccines has been very poor.  In the beginning it was take the vaccine, but you can still transmit, get infected, have to wear a mask, have to distance etc.   Now, I believe there is more data on at least reducing the transmission.   There has to be an end, otherwise you will never convince more people to take it.  

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

 

So 22% of our nation’s population accounts for 44% of covid infections. Not good. But hopefully certain people take note of the fact that Florida is one of those states.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, TimB84 said:

So 22% of our nation’s population accounts for 44% of covid infections. Not good. But hopefully certain people take note of the fact that Florida is one of those states.

I dont really care as to which states it is. It's more about allocating vaccine resources to those places where infection is surging because it saves more lives. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...