• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    friday
    Newest Member
    friday

Coronavirus

I will never understand how we made wearing a mask during a pandemic that killed 500k+ political. 

Deborah Birx’s interview on Face the Nation was very illuminating. She said she knew this would be hell because from her experience in Africa, “Pandemics are always political”. Highly recommend watching this on YouTube.

21 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

There is going to be some pretty interesting social studies over the next few years to figure out wtf happened over the last year.

Just speculation, but I have to think the "severity" of the virus was at exactly the right level to cause an enormous division in how seriously it should be taken. Very, very serious virus for a portion of the population while a large number of symptomless cases also existed.

Add in that we have lived in a binary political environment (see @Stebo still talking about how he will wear a mask next winter because he's not one of those cruel, heartless people that will choose not to) and we have a recipe a lot of conflict. 

I find anti maskers equally as obnoxious as the people who scream at others for not wearing one anytime they are outside, but that's just part of the world we live in I guess. Have to think and hope it will get better. 

The constant mixed messages really helped fuel the divide (Faucci masks/no masks, Faucci heard immunity threshold shifting, HCQ,  Birx Thanksgiving, Pelosi hair salon, California governors dinner party etc).

• Like 1

In some ways I think we were destined to have some divide on masks, etc, but it was made worse than it had to be.  If you go back to the Spanish Flu, Woodrow Wilson basically never even publicly acknowledged that pandemic and yet there were anti-maskers then.  Even more remarkable since so many of the deaths were in younger people, so it could not be brushed aside as an "old people thing."

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

In some ways I think we were destined to have some divide on masks, etc, but it was made worse than it had to be.  If you go back to the Spanish Flu, Woodrow Wilson basically never even publicly acknowledged that pandemic and yet there were anti-maskers then.  Even more remarkable since so many of the deaths were in younger people, so it could not be brushed aside as an "old people thing."

Part of the reason Wilson never acknowledged it was likely to avoid impact on morale as we were involved in WWI at the time. Also a lot of reporting on it in the U.S. was suppressed. It is generally referred to as the "Spanish" flu was because the country was neutral during the war so the press wasn't under as much restrictions. 

3 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

Part of the reason Wilson never acknowledged it was likely to avoid impact on morale as we were involved in WWI at the time. Also a lot of reporting on it in the U.S. was suppressed. It is generally referred to as the "Spanish" flu was because the country was neutral during the war so the press wasn't under as much restrictions. 

Yes I know

21 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Indiana continues to improve 

20210226_144027.jpg

Quite a 1 day drop in hospitalizations.  I have noticed that there are these random 1 day drops by 100+ before slower drops in the ensuing days so will be interesting to see if that happens again.

As I mentioned, there are signs of the case numbers plateauing in the past several days but will need some more time to see if that is a short term blip or a trend.  Even if cases are plateauing, the old rules about cases--->hospitalizations may start to not work as well at some point as the more vulnerable are vaccinated in larger numbers with each passing day.

The 1957 flu outbreak was political as well with "dixiecrats" complaining northern Republican Eisenhower didn't care about them and wanted them to get sick. Eisenhower was a bit aloof and the Democrats went on to dramatic sweeps in the 58 midterms(with a good helping of racism supported by JFK) spurring their second big power grab of the New Deal era.

Pandemics have ramifications.

2 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

The 1957 flu outbreak was political as well with "dixiecrats" complaining northern Republican Eisenhower didn't care about them and wanted them to get sick. Eisenhower was a bit aloof and the Democrats went on to dramatic sweeps in the 58 midterms(with a good helping of racism supported by JFK) spurring their second big power grab of the New Deal era.

Pandemics have ramifications.

100%. I'd be shocked in Cuomo won New York next year. 

Well yeah, Cuomo, Dewine, Newsom, Noem(who despite being in South Dakota, didn't exactly blow away her opponent last time), Desantis, Whitmer were probably some of the most notably people of the pandemic and it will be interesting how the reelection bid goes.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

100%. I'd be shocked in Cuomo won New York next year. 

it will be very interesting to see the governor races shake out in the next cycle. Personally, I am disgusted at how much some of these governors have circumvented state legislatures during this pandemic

• Like 2
  • Weenie 2

Just now, chances14 said:

it will be very interesting to see the governor races shake out in the next cycle. Personally, I am disgusted at how much some of these governors have circumvented state legislatures during this pandemic

Constitutionally, they really didn't circumvented anything. Govs have a large leeway in this type of thing. You can change the state constitution, but don't cry foul when its a granted power.

• Like 2

Finally feeling better. Goes without saying, but can’t imagine how awful the virus is for people with any sort of condition or anything that makes them more susceptible. Let’s hope the vaccines keep coming and we’re towards the end of this nightmarish journey 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, StormfanaticInd said:

I will never understand how we made wearing a mask during a pandemic that killed 500k+ political. 

Easy, look at the people in this thread, and then realize there are millions like it out in the world.

6 hours ago, schoeppeya said:

There is going to be some pretty interesting social studies over the next few years to figure out wtf happened over the last year.

Just speculation, but I have to think the "severity" of the virus was at exactly the right level to cause an enormous division in how seriously it should be taken. Very, very serious virus for a portion of the population while a large number of symptomless cases also existed.

Add in that we have lived in a binary political environment (see @Stebo still talking about how he will wear a mask next winter because he's not one of those cruel, heartless people that will choose not to) and we have a recipe a lot of conflict. 

I find anti maskers equally as obnoxious as the people who scream at others for not wearing one anytime they are outside, but that's just part of the world we live in I guess. Have to think and hope it will get better. 

I actually never said I would or wouldn't but that I understand why people would want to, and how it has positively impacted the flu this year.

2 hours ago, chances14 said:

You mean like the Republicans in this state that still don't believe it is real, yeah I am glad Whitmer circumvented their stupidity. Saved hundreds-thousands of lives in this state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NEILwxbo said:

Finally feeling better. Goes without saying, but can’t imagine how awful the virus is for people with any sort of condition or anything that makes them more susceptible. Let’s hope the vaccines keep coming and we’re towards the end of this nightmarish journey 

Glad to hear you are getting better, you among others here should be a cautionary tale of what could have happened to everyone. But instead you have some of the posts above and on the last page acting like this is nothing. I mean you are only 20 and had a strong case.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jonger said:

I'll continue keeping myself in shape and just live my life with minimal risk.

Yeah, keeping in shape is critical and many people don't realize how important it is to reduce the chance of getting severe covid-19. There was a recent study that looked at a large group of  people that did an exercise stress test. They later looked at the people that tested positive for Covid and compared the ones that got sick enough to be hospitalized and the ones that did not get sick enough to be hospitalized. The people that showed better fitness during the stress test were hospitalized at much lower rates. Each level of improved fitness reduced risk. Fitness level has a lot to do with how sick a person will get. So getting into shape is very important for people that are not vaccinated, along with the mask wearing and social distancing of course. Of course you can still get pretty sick if you become infected, but at least it's a load off the mind knowing you're at extremely low risk of getting sick enough to be hospitalized. Very good reason to keep in shape. Here is the study for anyone interested...

https://www.henryford.com/news/2021/01/fitness-and-covid

13 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

Yeah, keeping in shape is critical and many people don't realize how important it is to reduce the chance of getting severe covid-19. There was a recent study that looked at a large group of  people that did an exercise stress test. They later looked at the people that tested positive for Covid and compared the ones that got sick enough to be hospitalized and the ones that did not get sick enough to be hospitalized. The people that showed better fitness during the stress test were hospitalized at much lower rates. Each level of improved fitness reduced risk. Fitness level has a lot to do with how sick a person will get. So getting into shape is very important for people that are not vaccinated, along with the mask wearing and social distancing of course. Of course you can still get pretty sick if you become infected, but at least it's a load off the mind knowing you're at extremely low risk of getting sick enough to be hospitalized. Very good reason to keep in shape. Here is the study for anyone interested...

https://www.henryford.com/news/2021/01/fitness-and-covid

All that does is limit the potential of hospitalization, doesn't mean that you can't get it. I don't want a bunch of Chads running around thinking they are super human when they are instead super spreaders.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Stebo said:

All that does is limit the potential of hospitalization, doesn't mean that you can't get it. I don't want a bunch of Chads running around thinking they are super human when they are instead super spreaders.

I completely agree with you. Of course you can still get it and pass it on to others that are more vulnerable. Mask wearing, social distancing and getting vaccinated are extremely important. But I also think it's important to let people know that they can also reduce risk of getting severely ill from Covid by exercising and getting into shape. It can be the difference between life or death for some. Anything to reduce risk and help with this pandemic is a good thing.

• Like 1

If my semi-elite distance running teammates were bed-ridden with Covid for a week, then it'll probably kick half of your asses no matter how much "exercise" you do. Yes, being healthy will help your body stave off disease without distraction for sure, but if y'all actually think that being healthy is enough on its own, then you've got to wise up.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Stebo said:

And all a mask does is limit your chance of infecting others and yourself, doesn't mean you can't get it. We all still support that, right?

The pushback against health improvements that dramatically improve virus outcome is bizarre to me. 

Surely you're intelligent enough to realize that somebody wanting to take care of their health doesn't make them a "Chad" or more likely to be a super spreader than anybody else. Avoiding a trip to the hospital seems like incentive enough to get into shape, no? 

1 minute ago, schoeppeya said:

And all a mask does is limit your chance of infecting others and yourself, doesn't mean you can't get it. We all still support that, right?

The pushback against health improvements that dramatically improve virus outcome is bizarre to me. 

Surely you're intelligent enough to realize that somebody wanting to take care of their health doesn't make them a "Chad" or more likely to be a super spreader than anybody else. Avoiding a trip to the hospital seems like incentive enough to get into shape, no? 

I am not pushing back on health improvements, you should reread what I am saying. Those here are saying they don't want to wear masks at all even now when it is proven that it improves your chances of not catching covid. That is the "Chad" behavior I am talking about.

1 minute ago, Malacka11 said:

If my semi-elite distance running teammates were bed-ridden with Covid for a week, then it'll probably kick half of your asses no matter how much "exercise" you do. Yes, being healthy will help your body stave off disease without distraction for sure, but if y'all actually think that being healthy is enough on its own, then you've got to wise up.

I can point you to literally thousands of college athletes who tested positive for Covid this year with no symptoms. So again, Covid makes some people extremely sick and you have a much higher chance of avoiding that outcome if you "exercise".

Just now, schoeppeya said:

I can point you to literally thousands of college athletes who tested positive for Covid this year with no symptoms. So again, Covid makes some people extremely sick and you have a much higher chance of avoiding that outcome if you "exercise".

I can point to literally thousands of regular people who tested positive for Covid this year with no symptoms. You are using something that is an anecdote to prove a point.

7 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I can point to literally thousands of regular people who tested positive for Covid this year with no symptoms. You are using something that is an anecdote to prove a point.

No, the person I quoted and responded to was using an anecdote to prove a point-I was using an anecdote to demonstrate his anecdote was a pretty worthless one. My second sentence in the response is unrelated to the first-you don't need anecdotes to show that exercise improves Covid outcomes, science does that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, schoeppeya said:

No, the person I quoted and responded to was using an anecdote to prove a point-I was using an anecdote to demonstrate his anecdote was a pretty worthless one. My second sentence in the response is unrelated to the first-you don't need anecdotes to show that exercise improves Covid outcomes, science does that. 

A healthy diet as well.  With 36% of our population obese, it's no wonder we are in the position we are in.