• Member Statistics

    16,256
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    TuggHillRosato
    Newest Member
    TuggHillRosato
    Joined
Chicago Storm

Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

Been very busy today and this is my first time in the thread.  Have to say I don't like how it's going, and I imagine it could get more testy with a rising death toll.  Do better, or else the thread may be shut down.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Well, those people at least were mostly masked. How about the Trump fans maskless event????

 

Hope Sturgis was fun for all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Angrysummons said:

Well, those people at least were mostly masked. How about the Trump fans maskless event????

That is completely fair. But acting like the virus isn't getting spread at those other places because those people belong to a different political party isn't. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I left for a few hours and come back to this s**t show.

While all of you are busy bickering, name-calling, and pointing fingers, I got a call from an official today asking how many body bags I can get my hands on. :(

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Wow, I left for a few hours and come back to this s**t show.

While all of you are busy bickering, name-calling, and pointing fingers, I got a call from an official today asking how many body bags I can get my hands on. :(

did we think the Virus was going to magically disappear by choosing not to follow science, established protocol and social distancing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tragic all around..paying inmates $2 an hour to do this?

El Paso posts grim 'help wanted' ad for $27.20-per-hour temporary morgue workers who can lift up to 400lbs to help move bodies of COVID-19 victims

  • The El Paso County Medical Examiner's Office posted a help wanted ad asking for temporary morgue workers
  • Workers would be paid $27.20 per hour and must be able to lift between 100 and 400 pounds with assistance
  • 'Not only is this assignment physically taxing, but it may be emotionally taxing as well,' the ad warned
  • El Paso County has been relying on low-level offender inmates, who are being paid $2 an hour, to help move bodies
  • The Medical Examiner's Office says there are 247 bodies at the morgue and inside nine refrigerated trailers being used as 'mobile morgues.'
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have reached 25k cases in my county, out of a population of almost 486k.

Obviously it's a bit of a guessing game on how many cases have been missed since this began, but...

If cases are 5x higher than reported, it would mean that 125k, or about 26% of my county has had it.

If cases are 8x higher than reported, it would mean that 200k, or 41% of my county has had it.

There are false positives and false negatives of course.  Also, there may be some people who had covid, moved out of the county and were replaced by people who have not had covid, but this seems like nibbling at the edges type of stuff that would be unlikely to change things in a huge way.

At some point you start to wonder if some kind of temporary/partial herd immunity kicks in and slows down the infection rate, but there is no sign of it yet as my county continues to consistently have several hundred new cases per day with some record high days in the mix.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

We have reached 25k cases in my county, out of a population of almost 486k.

Obviously it's a bit of a guessing game on how many cases have been missed since this began, but...

If cases are 5x higher than reported, it would mean that 125k, or about 26% of my county has had it.

If cases are 8x higher than reported, it would mean that 200k, or 41% of my county has had it.

There are false positives and false negatives of course.  Also, there may be some people who had covid, moved out of the county and were replaced by people who have not had covid, but this seems like nibbling at the edges type of stuff that would be unlikely to change things in a huge way.

At some point you start to wonder if some kind of temporary/partial herd immunity kicks in and slows down the infection rate, but there is no sign of it yet as my county continues to consistently have several hundred new cases per day with some record high days in the mix.

It will have to spread more, probably 75% to get HI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Tragic all around..paying inmates $2 an hour to do this?

El Paso posts grim 'help wanted' ad for $27.20-per-hour temporary morgue workers who can lift up to 400lbs to help move bodies of COVID-19 victims

  • The El Paso County Medical Examiner's Office posted a help wanted ad asking for temporary morgue workers
  • Workers would be paid $27.20 per hour and must be able to lift between 100 and 400 pounds with assistance
  • 'Not only is this assignment physically taxing, but it may be emotionally taxing as well,' the ad warned
  • El Paso County has been relying on low-level offender inmates, who are being paid $2 an hour, to help move bodies
  • The Medical Examiner's Office says there are 247 bodies at the morgue and inside nine refrigerated trailers being used as 'mobile morgues.'

Thats just horrible. Unfortunately this is coming to cities all over America 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, StormfanaticInd said:

Thats just horrible. Unfortunately this is coming to cities all over America 

This all happened in NYC. people thought they were exaggerating the conditions and numbers, as they continued to live their lives worry free.

It was just a matter of time since March that rural areas would get hit hard if they didn't take this seriously..These are the same people protesting because they have to wear a mask and vote against  hospitals and health care.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

This all happened in NYC. people thought they were exaggerating the conditions and numbers, as they continued to live their lives worry free.

It was just a matter of time since March that rural areas would get hit hard if they didn't take this seriously..

O ya, they set up the field hospitals that sat empty.  

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

Nice unintelligible response, but it's a fact. 

A GIF of a slamming door is impossible for you to understand? 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dta1984 said:

Nice unintelligible response, but it's a fact. 

Yeah its a bad thing field hospitals went unused? people all around from different states were saying how informative and comforted they were by Gov Cuomos daily briefings..  More than anybody can say about Bozo the Clown and his shit show briefings

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to remember that a large number of people in NYC died at home instead... from covid and non-covid things.  Part of the reason why the field hospitals ended up being largely unused.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

O ya, they set up the field hospitals that sat empty.  

Oh yeah, what a great response to compared to what we're seeing now, especially in more rural states. :poster_stupid:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

You have to remember that a large number of people in NYC died at home instead... from covid and non-covid things.  Part of the reason why the field hospitals ended up being largely unused.

Also they didn't get set up fast enough because thing exploded so quickly. Honestly that response by dta is just beyond stupid, we need to be better in this thread and posts like that just aren't it.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

You have to remember that a large number of people in NYC died at home instead... from covid and non-covid things.  Part of the reason why the field hospitals ended up being largely unused.

The hospitals were still overwhelmed whether the field hospitals were used or not. Seems like people don't understand its not just a physical bed and equipment issue but if staff is asked to care for more than typical patients or if non icu docs are having to take of icu patients then the standard of care begins to dropping quickly and the death rate goes up. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Yeah its a bad thing field hospitals went unused? people all around from different states were saying how informative and comforted they were by Gov Cuomos daily briefings..  More than anybody can say about Bozo the Clown and his shit show briefings

 

You numbskull, you said they were exaggerating nyc.   I posted about field hospitals which did sit mostly empty.  That is a fact.  They were terribly misused and that is well documented.   
 
"Red tape and poor communication between city, state and federal officials led to the field hospital as well as the Navy's deployed hospital ship, the USNS Comfort, sitting largely empty while public hospitals in the city reported crowded conditions and overwhelmed staff."
 
“I basically got paid $2,000 a day to sit on my phone and look at Facebook,” Katie Capano, a nurse practitioner from Baltimore who worked at the center, told the Times. “We all felt guilty. I felt really ashamed, to be honest.”
 
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dta1984 said:
You numbskull, you said they were exaggerating nyc.   I posted about field hospitals which did sit mostly empty.  That is a fact.  They were terribly misused and that is well documented.   
 
"Red tape and poor communication between city, state and federal officials led to the field hospital as well as the Navy's deployed hospital ship, the USNS Comfort, sitting largely empty while public hospitals in the city reported crowded conditions and overwhelmed staff."
 
“I basically got paid $2,000 a day to sit on my phone and look at Facebook,” Katie Capano, a nurse practitioner from Baltimore who worked at the center, told the Times. “We all felt guilty. I felt really ashamed, to be honest.”
 

So that seems to go more along the lines of government mismanagement, shocking, versus not used because of actual case load. That argument then falls dead and goes more after NYC, New York, and the feds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Also they didn't get set up fast enough because thing exploded so quickly. Honestly that response by dta is just beyond stupid, we need to be better in this thread and posts like that just aren't it.

You don't like it then gtfo.   They were grossly missused, the issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dta1984 said:

You don't like it then gtfo.   They were grossly missused, the issue. 

The original comment seemed to be more about how bad things are getting (like NYC) instead of the proper use of field hospitals. But hey you do your thing. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dta1984 said:

You don't like it then gtfo.   They were grossly missused, the issue. 

Stand back, we've got a keyboard badass here telling folks to "gtfo" on an internet board. :sleepy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.