Total Members
    Most Online
    jammcohr
    Newest Member
    jammcohr

Spring 2020 Banter

5 hours ago, SnowFeen1 said:

Whoever deleted the coronavirus blog is a cornball! Really 

Since half of our country has lost their minds, we can't have nice things around here.  

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Rjay said:

Since half of our country has lost their minds, we can't have nice things around here.  

just wait until we get a zombie virus! (yes there is such a thing and -currently- it only affects ants.)

That was the worst period... The last 3 storms of 07 were pure sleet and the first storm of 08 was too. I don't remember ever expending so much effort to move frozen material out of the way. It was like picking up a shovel load of ball bearings which, as you might imagine, is a pretty challenging endeavor.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 8:07 AM, gravitylover said:

That was the worst period... The last 3 storms of 07 were pure sleet and the first storm of 08 was too. I don't remember ever expending so much effort to move frozen material out of the way. It was like picking up a shovel load of ball bearings which, as you might imagine, is a pretty challenging endeavor.

did you get any snow from the tax day noreaster?

My station stats for astro winter are as follows...Temp was 2nd warmest on record just falling short of 2011-12.  Precip was somewhat below normal at 9.06".  Snowfall of 2.8" is the lowest on record, beating the 3.0" total in 1997-98. Overall grade  :axe:.

• Like 1

Lol it really hasn't snowed in over 2 months, and it’s only March.

*knock on wood*

• Sad 1

the greatest mainly sleet storms of my life are...January 1965...Feb. 2007...March 2007...

On January 1st 1869 NYC got 9" of sleet according to newspaper reports but the liquid equivalent does not show that...it shows 9" of snow or sleet from 0.75" of LE...

1869...storm...

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030272/1869-01-02/ed-1/seq-1/

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030214/1869-01-02/ed-1/seq-8/

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83030313/1869-01-02/ed-1/seq-4/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uncle W said:

the greatest mainly sleet storms of my life are...January 1965...Feb. 2007...March 2007...

On January 1st 1869 NYC got 9" of sleet according to newspaper reports but the liquid equivalent does not show that...it shows 9" of snow or sleet from 0.75" of LE...

1869...storm...

I was a freshman in KingsBorough Community at the time, The shoveling which my fathers rightfully and happily delegated to me  is also a treasured memory. I remember thinking, at the time; imagine if this was all snow. As always .....

The city is the epicenter of the most serious disease of our lifetime and there’s not even a discussion on here. Moderators should be ashamed of themselves!

1 minute ago, SnowFeen1 said:

The city is the epicenter of the most serious disease of our lifetime and there’s not even a discussion on here. Moderators should be ashamed of themselves!

There are discussions on every subforum about it.

Just now, MJO812 said:

There are discussions on every subforum about it.

Not here. This is the New York City forum! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SnowFeen1 said:

FEEN to be honest, Corona is so in our face and on every channel not to mention on so many other forums that I come on here to get away from that for a while but thats me

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, SnowFeen1 said:

Maybe people are just tired of discussing it. We know we’re screwed, if not health wise then certainly financially. It is what it is.

4 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

FEEN to be honest, Corona is so in our face and on every channel not to mention on so many other forums that I come on here to get away from that for a while but thats me

2 minutes ago, matt9503 said:

Maybe people are just tired of discussing it. We know we’re screwed, if not health wise then certainly financially. It is what it is.

Fair enough I won’t mention it anymore

• Like 1

20 hours ago, uncle W said:

1869...storm...

The greatest sleet storm of all time must've been that three day affair in Feb 1922 that dumped 18" lol

Funny that 2007 had two of the big ones.....with sleet storms being so rare.  That second one got my door stuck lol.

On 3/22/2020 at 7:59 AM, doncat said:

My station stats for astro winter are as follows...Temp was 2nd warmest on record just falling short of 2011-12.  Precip was somewhat below normal at 9.06".  Snowfall of 2.8" is the lowest on record, beating the 3.0" total in 1997-98. Overall grade  :axe:.

Surprised that 2001-02 isn't at the top of your list....it was the only winter with all three winter months >40 on avg!

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Surprised that 2001-02 isn't at the top of your list....it was the only winter with all three winter months >40 on avg!

Yeah 2001-02 is my warmest met winter but finishes a little further down using astro winter period.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

The greatest sleet storm of all time must've been that three day affair in Feb 1922 that dumped 18" lol

Funny that 2007 had two of the big ones.....with sleet storms being so rare.  That second one got my door stuck lol.

it was Feb 1920 that had the three day storm that was 1/3 snow...1/3 sleet...1/3 freezing rain...March 1993 had 3" of sleet after the 9" of snow imby...it ended with an inch of rain and a dusting of snow...The March 1914 had a lot of sleet...Feb. 1921 had a lot of sleet...Feb 1940 also...Feb 1961 had hours of sleet mid storm...the earliest sleet storm I remember came on my 10th birthday 3/28/1959...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, forkyfork said:

interior birbs 

Image result for parakeet on couch

Wonderful picture. It made the day worth it. That great looking Calico has a lot of fine feathered friends or he/she is guarding the pantry. Thank you again for a signature photo. As always ....

they're someone else's birds. it was a joke about the thread title 

1 minute ago, forkyfork said:

they're someone else's birds. it was a joke about the thread title 

Still worth the mention. My parents had several mating budgies when I was young. They are a challenge but a lot o fun when tame. One used to take rides on my collies back. As always ....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

I miss snow

I know. It's only been 10 hours for me without real snow and 9 without flurries and I cant take it. Pissed I'm on call and couldn't stay upstate. Looks like there was a healthy thump today.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1