Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2020 disc/obs

Torch Tiger

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I have no idea what you mean? That’s honestly your M.O. though. You like piddly events that stick around vs a big dog that may melt. Nobody is calling for 2’.

I like snow OTG in winter. If it’ s a bunch of small snowfalls , but it remains OTG great. If it’s 2015. That’s great too. Why does that make me dumb? I despise when it snows and there’s a torch looming two days later. It takes a lot of my enjoyment away knowing it’s gone shortly . That’s how I’m programmed. So that’s why I prefer Dec snow over a spring Morch snow. If that makes me a stupid dumb idiot. Then so be it 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not sure what you are missing. Its a very impressive system that doesn't produce impressive snowfall for our area on the 00z euro. Its like 3-6" of slop.

Not to stick my face in the middle of your fledgling squabble ... heh, but, if I may make a suggestion:

The QPF layout of the Euro is less paramount compared to it's other kinematics and total evolution of synoptic metrics there... It's way more likely being way too cute and compact east with that, almost treating like a tropical eye-wall - for lack of better description, and usually those CCB juggernauts are physically instructed to a vaster envelope...

Just a suggestion though... I mean, these models obviously don't project physically "IM"possible solutions - usually ... it's just up to use to correct for better or worse based on likeliness, which is of course guided by knowledge vs wisdom. So, there's naturally going to be probability/risk in assessment ..haha. But simply put, I just think the Euro QPF layout is a little dubious, big IF it's right otherwise. We'll see.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not to stick my face in the middle of your fledgling squabble ... heh, but, if I may make a suggestion:

The QPF layout of the Euro is less paramount compared to it's other kinematics and total evolution of synoptic metrics there... It's way more likely being way too cute and compact east with that, almost treating like a tropical eye-wall - for lack of better description, and usually those CCB juggernauts are physically instructed to a vaster envelope...

Just a suggestion though... I mean, these models obviously don't project physically "IM"possible solutions - it's just up to use to correct for better or worse based on likeliness, which is of course guided by knowledge vs wisdom

Oh, I agree...I would take that H5 evolution and grab the popcorn. I didn't say that I buy the relatively meager surface evolution should that H5 evolution play out....just reporting on it.

24 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Because they don’t last . It starts melting immediately. Why is that so hard for people to understand? 

March snows though are usually great snowstorms.  It all melts at some point, I just don’t get the fact that snow after like Valentines Day is just stat padding snow.

9 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I like snow OTG in winter. If it’ s a bunch of small snowfalls , but it remains OTG great. If it’s 2015. That’s great too. Why does that make me dumb? I despise when it snows and there’s a torch looming two days later. It takes a lot of my enjoyment away knowing it’s gone shortly . That’s how I’m programmed. So that’s why I prefer Dec snow over a spring Morch snow. If that makes me a stupid dumb idiot. Then so be it 

Fair enough.  

I still think December snow has just as much chance to see a torching cutter melt it in a week as it does in March, but to each their own.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

March snows though are usually great snowstorms.  It all melts at some point, I just don’t get the fact that snow after like Valentines Day is just stat padding snow.

Because you live  in the mountains in N VT. You’re in a unique area that has snow into Mayorch . Most of us don’t have that luxury. It’s like comparing  hamburgers to hot dogs. :weenie: If it’s a heavy event I’ll enjoy it, but I’ll always be brought back to reality looking ahead at what’s coming 

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Because you live  in the mountains in N VT. You’re in a unique area that has snow into Mayorch . Most of us don’t have that luxury. It’s like comparing  hamburgers to hot dogs. :weenie: If it’s a heavy event I’ll enjoy it, but I’ll always be brought back to reality looking ahead at what’s coming 

Snow climo in SNE in March typically is better or equal  to December.  You start winter in November 

Seein' as I was asked ...

I just like dramatic natural events.  Period.

In fact, I think there is value in seeing the total picture of a driving white-out go to 80 F a week later... that, in its step-back specter ...is incredible as a total event. In fact, cutting that up.. .it would be anomalous at all scales: the storm, the heat, and the storm --> heat. Amazing!  

Lost on folks ... wow.

I think folks tend to want to categorize and preserve relative to those, some sort of emotional attachment to regimes...and thus loathe having to adjust ? 

Which if true - hint, I think more so than not.. .eh hm.. - this is a weird occupation for exposing that nerve!  Because there is 100% chance of never seeing 0 change.

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Seein' as I was asked ...

I just like dramatic natural events.  Period.

In fact, I almost think there is value in seeing the total picture of a driving white-out go to 80 F a week later... that, in its step-back specter ...is incredible as a total event. In fact, cutting that up.. .it would be anomalous at all scales: the storm, the heat, and the storm --> heat. Amazing!  

Lost on folks ... wow.

I think folks tend to want to categorize and preserve relative to those, some sort of emotional attachment to regimes...and thus loathe having to adjust ? 

Which if true - hint, I think more so than not.. .eh hm.. - this is a weird occupation for exposing that nerve!  Because there is 100% of never seeing 0 change.

Last February  in PA we got like 8-10 inches and the next day it was mid 70 degrees and I was snowboarding in a T-Shirt.  It was great.

44 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The hilarious part about it is that I’ve had snowpack for huge chunks of March on these so-called “stat padder” storms. I think it took until April to melt off the March 2017 snows...ditto 2018. Ditto 2013. Last year didnt last all month but we had deep pack for a solid 10-12 days after the 3/4 storm until a torching cutter got us around the 15t

41 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Because they don’t last . It starts melting immediately. Why is that so hard for people to understand? It snows, and 2 days later it looks like it’ll be 60. It’s great if it snows. I’ll love it. But it’s nothing more than adding totals to the season. A terrible season. It’s bittersweet. That’s just how I look at it 

STML short term memory loss 

18 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'm not impressed by 3-6". Big storm? Sure...major snowfall..no. Again, just speaking of that 00z euro run.

What am I missing on the 00z euro? There is no way that is 3-6”. It’s like 1-2” of QPF that is basically all snow (maybe a few hours of rain right along the coast). 

Are you looking at some clown map that is trying to penalize the sfc output being 33F instead of 31F? 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

What am I missing on the 00z euro? There is no way that is 3-6”. It’s like 1-2” of QPF that is basically all snow (maybe a few hours of rain right along the coast). 

Are you looking at some clown map that is trying to penalize the sfc output being 33F instead of 31F? 

It must be. I see way more than 6”. That’s why I was confused. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

That’s easily 12”+ for eastern ma.... probably closer to 18” for a lot 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes. Its mainly a Berkshires, Greens and Monads event. Again, I understand that reality would look differently.

• Confused 1

Yeah yeah re the ICON AND that ... but, jus the same, ...to anyone with a modicum of Met insight, the 06z was a juggernaut correction and though that particular cycle only goes to 120 hour ( at TT), that was heading in one direction.

....DOOM

• Thanks 1

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Again, I'm talking about the output of the euro algorithm...its 3-6".

Do I believe it were that to verify?

No.

Which algorithm though? There’s actual euro output which I believe is all your temp levels, qpf, and it may even have ptype...but the actual accumulation maps are usually produced by 3rd party vendors which interpret that raw euro data differently. In this case, if you are using a map that has an algorithm which severely punishes sfc temps above freezing then you’ll end up with an unrealistically low snowfall map. 

Even the pivotal wx clown map has like 18-24” over parts of E Ma. It’s just another way to interpret the data.