Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

34 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I have become morbidly interested in the end of the month period beginning late next week. Probably nothing comes of it,  but we are seeing signs of something "different" with the pattern.

12z GEFS Snowfall map for the last 10 days of the month. Not bad.

1582891200-6mIsFlW5FD4.png

Never took you for the masochistic type.  

42 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I have become morbidly interested in the end of the month period beginning late next week. Probably nothing comes of it,  but we are seeing signs of something "different" with the pattern.

12z GEFS Snowfall map for the last 10 days of the month. Not bad.

Morbidly? Is that just a polite way of saying were all sick in the head?

Have to agree with your assessment with a different pattern. Looking 10+ day has a different feel on the models then what we have seen so far this winter. Have been noticing this for a couple of days now on the runs and the overnight sort of cemented it in my mind. Haven't had a chance to check the 12z guidance so if that looks as if it is converting back to the same old crap then this post was never made. Or blame it on Ji hacking into my account. Whichever you prefer. :D

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Morbidly? Is that just a polite way of saying were all sick in the head?

Have to agree with your assessment with a different pattern. Looking 10+ day has a different feel on the models then what we have seen so far this winter. Have been noticing this for a couple of days now on the runs and the overnight sort of cemented it in my mind. Haven't had a chance to check the 12z guidance so if that looks as if it is converting back to the same old crap then this post was never made. Or blame it on Ji hacking into my account. Whichever you prefer. :D

I have a subtle way of communicating in certain instances.

One probably would not expect it from such a bitter man.

• Haha 2

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

Yeah it seems to be attempting to break down the HL ugliness. Have to wait and see on that.

At least it’s doing it in a different way. Several times this year it’s attempted a change up top initiated from the Pac side. But all those analogs I looked at a while ago said if we ever get a better pattern it was more likely to be from wave breaking on the Atlantic side.  A few times the guidance teased us with an epo ridge and I was always skeptical because that’s not usually how this pac pattern evolves.  The eps is teasing us with changes on the Atlantic side for the first time in a long time. Doesn’t mean it will happen but it’s at least different. Anything different is good. 

• Like 4

I have actually been saying for a little while that if there is any glimmer of hope (as slim as it may be) to see snow it would happen at the end of February and the beginning of March. The problem is if the models start/continue to show a favorable window it's going to take alot before people start buying into it since we have been burned by the models quite a bit this winter. Some probably won't believe it until it is happening and who can blame them.

1 minute ago, showmethesnow said:

But it did go back to dumping fairly aggressively into the SW at the end of the extended. Had been moving away from that so I was somewhat disappointed to see that.

I had a feeling it was headed there looking at the 0z run. It has not been as enthusiastic about building a PNA ridge- it flirts with neutral then wants to build heights further west again. GEFS and at times the GEPS seem to like the idea of a more favorable western ridge position. Maybe the EPS is on to something and we get a nice HL block for March to counter the crappy Pacific. :rolleyes:

6 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I had a feeling it was headed there looking at the 0z run. It has not been as enthusiastic about building a PNA ridge- it flirts with neutral then wants to build heights further west again. GEFS and at times the GEPS seem to like the idea of a more favorable western ridge position. Maybe the EPS is on to something and we get a nice HL block for March to counter the crappy Pacific. :rolleyes:

Besides that I liked what I saw. Potential is starting to ramp up just beyond day 10 until we see that dump at the end. And like you said, EPS is getting more aggressive with the HL blocking which could potentially offset that dump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Its cold because there is no precip.  If there was a storm the return flow ahead of any strong wave would likely mean we warm up given the lack of anything in the flow to offer resistance.  

At this point I am ok with that.  I know its a different story for you guys maybe getting some March love, but down here it's pretty much over for us.  Just give me some cold to keep the bugs at bay for a little while.  I just hate hate hate those nights right before FROPA where its like 65 and humid at midnight.

39 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

But it did go back to dumping fairly aggressively into the SW at the end of the extended. Had been moving away from that so I was somewhat disappointed to see that.

Well that is a known Euro bias, or at least it was in the past.  I am still just going under the policy of assuming the actual outcome will be the worst of all modeled outcomes.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic