• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

8 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Early 2000’s were pretty cool too. Syracuse would routinely get big lake effect snow storms. It’s just the year. Like Freak keeps saying, there’s just nothin stopping the warmth. 
I think if we get a good second storm, Syracuse will be fine. The temps were crashing at hr 84 and we have a 980’s LP near Philly moving North. Everything I know says that’s a beauty for CNY and WNY. At least we have something to track. 
Paulie could get lucky and stay all snow for both, but he needs it colder. Everyone goes to mix on the first one (according to NAM). 

NAM at 84 is digging so Hard it’s in NYC while GFS same run is just a flatter cold front look progressively speeding into Maine. Maybe it’s on to something . It’s slows it down the whole flow . I’m staying up for 0z and certainly will be up for 6z. Dave thanks for rooting for snow up my way also! :)

If we could get the transfer from the Primary to the Secondary faster, we could do well from both systems. But, the trend this year has been for the Primary to be stubborn and the secondary to be lackluster. Thus, it's warmer and rainier for longer. I was just checking out the latest ICON and you can soooort of see something like that trying to occur.

31 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

If we could get the transfer from the Primary to the Secondary faster, we could do well from both systems. But, the trend this year has been for the Primary to be stubborn and the secondary to be lackluster. Thus, it's warmer and rainier for longer. I was just checking out the latest ICON and you can soooort of see something like that trying to occur.

You are right. Oz GFS more amped so far but similar to 18z. Snow to ZR for Dacks with round 1. Round 2 is gonna be close. Prob rain to mix to snow

27 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

So, I was just reliving the bad old days of the 2011/12 winter. I recorded 5.3" of snow for the entire months of February and March 2012.  Now that was a bad winter.  We may get that much snow by the end of this week.

That was the worst winter in Buffalos record keeping history, including when they kept records along the lake shore pre 1940. That is a once in a century type year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TugHillMatt said:

I don't like that viewpoint at all. :( I wish I lived during the winters of the 60s and 70s.

I too wish we were to get a decade or two of those types of winters. The people who are old enough to remember those winters still talk about how winters should be. I have been saying this all winter as this is what our 4-5 bad year in a row and overall the last decade has been bad, this is our new normal... I feel like this damp barely cold enough for snow sometimes winters are what the southern mid West winters are like and now they are our winters too. Unfortunately I believe you have to bet warm until proven wrong. I am betting next winter is warm too...We truly need something big to happen in an equal to reaction of cold to break this warm trend and it would have to be in the way of cold like we have never seen. 

• Like 1

Take with a tiny speck of salt, but, the local in house model (pretty sure it's the Euro run) never gets buffalo north and east to rain at all during the storm. It's only about 48 hours now so I'm beginning (I'm going to hate myself) to become a bit more confident we see appreciable snows Thursday through early Saturday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

3k Nam was pretty warm with the initial push as well..Less than an inch south of Ontario and not much more to the north of there verbatim..

I'm riding the Euro. Yes it's cliche but it has overall the best short range track record and once it's on a track it rarely deviates. I'll take it inside 48 hours for synoptic over any other model.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Split up the European between both events .

Obviously the lake Enhancement should be higher than 10/1..

Basically two 3"-5" systems with a little rain/mix in-between..

sn10_acc.us_ne - 2020-02-04T075557.789.png

sn10_024h.us_ne (21).png

I'd take 6 1/2 at kbuf which like you stated will actually be a bit higher due to better ratios later on Thursday night and Friday. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Looks like it could stay all snow/sleet in the furthest northern part of NYS. But now’s a good time to remind myself of the rule: add 30 miles or so to the warm push. It always beats the models by at least that. 

I think the boundary today is pretty much the boundary for Thursday. 50 near state line and low to mid 30's Niagara frontier

3 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

ICON icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.pngdevelops a nice little storm that remains pretty far east. Typical S shore action but most of the synoptic fun would remain well SE of most of us. 

I’m not putting much weight into the ICON. It’s consistently been wrong at every forecast interval this whole storm if you play back the runs. The only thing the ICON is consistently good at is being wrong

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

ICON icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_27.pngdevelops a nice little storm that remains pretty far east. Typical S shore action but most of the synoptic fun would remain well SE of most of us. 

Another forum had a post from a met, I believe who hides identity but the forum knows who he is, just showed an excellent depiction on the 6z euro control and if it's right it's lining up for a big event Thursday night Friday for us. 12z will be a huge run for that model imo.