Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 18-19 SWFE

HoarfrostHubb

15 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Details still remain to be sorted out. The typical SWFE folks will do best.  Ceiling is a bit low.  Rain on the backside unless you are in NNE.   2-4”, 3-6” seems reasonable 

2800088E-A6CF-44B8-AFCF-97B7ED749CCA.jpeg

I'm still planning to be at Pit2 for this, but even there GYX is calling for taint.

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
13 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:
I'm still planning to be at Pit2 for this, but even there GYX is calling for taint.

Ch 6 not thinking more than 3-6". Thought it was going to be a stronger sys then tomorrow

I haven't been up there in a couple months.  My wife was there over the weekend and said it was still snow-covered.  So at least there's that going ito perhaps a couple mundane events.  That would at least provide some cover to aid with any follow-up cold.

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

This looks like an overall meh thump.... 1-3” for most in SNE... including ORH area... maybe 3-5” up towards the MA/NH border

We did have over 40 pages for a “threat” that gave 1 person on the Cape about that much. At least some people could see a plow for this.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We did have over 40 pages for a “threat” that gave 1 person on the Cape about that much. At least some people could see a plow for this.  

Sure.... some models are really meager in the snow department though... still a ways to go... but that’s not the best sign in my eyes.

Im also not jumping for joy over 1-3” of slop in the heart of winter. In November, cool. In January... nah.

Hopefully the ski resorts cash for a busy holiday weekend 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

My eyes could be deceiving me, but it appeared the 06z CMC was going pretty far south with the redevelopment, just south of Boston? Was the furthest south with redevelopment IMO out of the morning suite. See if that trends at 12z...

Ugh, never mind was toggling 12z yesterday compared to 0z this morning... it was a step in the right direction though

3 minutes ago, Kitzbuhel Craver said:

Ugh, never mind was toggling 12z yesterday compared to 0z this morning... it was a step in the right direction though

00z GGEM definitely started showing redevelopment to our south. First model that has showed this in days. My gut says we'll see more hints of this as we get closer just because of the natural baroclinic zone down there. It's gonna be very cold initially so there's going to want to be a sfc reflection to the southeast. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

00z GGEM definitely started showing redevelopment to our south. First model that has showed this in days. My gut says we'll see more hints of this as we get closer just because of the natural baroclinic zone down there. It's gonna be very cold initially so there's going to want to be a sfc reflection to the southeast. 

So if we get redevelopment to the south, what tangible affect does that have on snow totals? Does it help lock in the cold, therefore prolonging the snow?

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:
1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

Ch 6 not thinking more than 3-6". Thought it was going to be a stronger sys then tomorrow

They had it raining to Livermore, Not happening.

16 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

So if we get redevelopment to the south, what tangible affect does that have on snow totals? Does it help lock in the cold, therefore prolonging the snow?

It doesn't just prolong the cold a little bit...I'd think the more important aspect is that it will enhance the thump. You'll start getting a more defined warm front building from the sfc upward. Usually just north of it you can get some pretty intense rates for a time.

I think by the time the warmer air arrives the majority of the precipitation is done. If there is anything that we've learned from these types of set-ups is we really don't zero-in on the most likely outcome until we're within 24-36 hours. While obviously there are some flags at hand one thing I really love to see is the expansion and strengthening of the WAA as the nose of the WAA arrives...dynamics look to favor large-scale lift with pretty strong convergence in the llvls. Snow levels should be pretty dang good too...at least to begin. Wouldn't be surprised to see 15-18:1. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Sure.... some models are really meager in the snow department though... still a ways to go... but that’s not the best sign in my eyes.

Im also not jumping for joy over 1-3” of slop in the heart of winter. In November, cool. In January... nah.

Hopefully the ski resorts cash for a busy holiday weekend 

It's why I wasn't a fan of this setup a few days ago. Just not for our part of the world anyways. That said, it's a fairly cold system. Srly winds and barely getting the 540 line to KTAN means above 850 it's chilly. So while below 850 will warm, we have a little wiggle room with the airmass...both antecedent and aloft. Normally that's an inch of crud followed by rain, but perhaps 2-3 if it works out. Dryslot races in, so nobody in SNE is cashing in on this one.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's why I wasn't a fan of this setup a few days ago. Just not for our part of the world anyways. That said, it's a fairly cold system. Srly winds and barely getting the 540 line to KTAN means above 850 it's chilly. So while below 850 will warm, we have a little wiggle room with the airmass...both antecedent and aloft. Normally that's an inch of crud followed by rain, but perhaps 2-3 if it works out. Dryslot races in, so nobody in SNE is cashing in on this one.

In the Winter of 2019/20 2-3" is "cashing in" :lol: