• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    McHenrySnow
    Newest Member
    McHenrySnow

January 17-18 Winter Storm

Another excellent AFD from the LOT crew.  SE winds have scared me for life  sitting near the lake- shrugs.  Yesterday we got the bleeding to stop as expected and now another day of stable or better modeling would be good for the psyche.  

plumes decreased a bit at ORD but two distinct camps now with a decent cluster of respectable 4-5" hits above the mean which is weighed down by a bunch of clunkers

• Thanks 1

And there's the NAM run that does what we feared with a faster changeover to sleet then freezing rain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Sad 1

between the dry SE flow and unfavorable low track, lots working against respectable snow at this point

1 minute ago, A-L-E-K said:

between the dry SE flow and unfavorable low track, lots working against respectable snow at this point

Plus never underestimate WAA. Figuring on some mood flakes when I leave work tomorrow, then cold and brown. 

• Like 1

FWIW, the RGEM keeps it all snow near/north of I-88. Still snowing at the end of the 06z run too. Again it’s the RGEM but atleast a snowier solution is somewhere in the realm of possibility.

A64608CA-13F2-4A59-B799-9B2B28EA04DF.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

FWIW, the RGEM keeps it all snow near/north of I-88. Still snowing at the end of the 06z run too. Again it’s the RGEM but atleast a snowier solution is somewhere in the realm of possibility.

A64608CA-13F2-4A59-B799-9B2B28EA04DF.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Northern extent of the 850 temps have trended south, over the past 24 hours, on the GFS. NAM 850s have started trending north. Feels like the WI/IL border will be a good compromise for northern extent of the 850s. 950 temps are slightly warmer. What that means for precip types, who knows.

gfs_T850_us_fh54_trend.thumb.gif.ea213a0fb7943c929e85b58b02ee4d86.gif

nam_T850_us_fh42_trend.thumb.gif.685349b6fe0e78cf41b2e7eb1b7362d8.gif

• Thanks 2

based on forum feedback I'm guessing 12Z runs were status quo................................................

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Baum said:

based on forum feedback I'm guessing 12Z runs were status quo................................................

we're riding the canadian now

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

Based on latest trends, I would seem to think 4-6" is a good call for the GTA. If a solution like the GFS pans out with warmer sfc temps then I'd lean closer to 4". However, a majority of the other models keep us below freezing and if that were to pan out, I wouldn't be surprised to see some localized amounts near 7-8". Still riding 4-6". 

Fully expecting 1.5" of snow/sleet followed by drizzle > into the freezer for the weekend. Tips of grass blades won't get covered.

This forum will be a giddy place when we finally get a solid snow threat with no risk of mixing/garbage.

• Like 1

A little off-topic, but while the ORD/Southern MI crew sorts out the thermodynamics for "Winter Storm Jacob" (lol), it's almost a lock that from Friday afternoon through daybreak on Saturday an area through STL, HUF, IND, FWA, and TOL will see the proverbial kitchen sink of precipitation before turning to all rain.  However, on the map shown below from TT, their algorithm shows an unbelievable amount of snow in the highlighted area. I realize that it includes sleet and it is caused by taint.  I wish Tropical Tidbits would change this. My problem is the social media cowboys who will post this map as a forecast for pure sensationalism. Then it's up to someone in my position to talk to the public and government officials off of the ledge.

On a side note, it looks like for the FWA area, it will start as snow shortly after dark (when else?), and we may be able get a quick inch or two before the kitchen sink sets in until daylight.

taint.png

• Like 4

Just now, IWXwx said:

A little off-topic, but while the ORD/Southern MI crew sorts out the thermodynamics for "Winter Storm Jacob" (lol), it's almost a lock that from Friday afternoon through daybreak on Saturday an area through STL, HUF, IND, FWA, and TOL will see the proverbial kitchen sink of precipitation before turning to all rain.  However, on the map shown below from TT, their algorithm shows an unbelievable amount of snow in the highlighted area. I realize that it includes sleet and it is caused by taint.  I wish Tropical Tidbits would change this. My problem is the social media cowboys who will post this map as a forecast for pure sensationalism. Then it's up to someone in my position to talk to the public and government officials off of the ledge.

On a side note, it looks like for the FWA area, it will start as snow shortly after dark (when else?), and we may be able get a quick inch or two before the kitchen sink sets in until daylight.

taint.png

Agreed, someone should reach out to Levi...

Still holding out for about 2-3" on the front end.  Will need to get into some good rates for it to happen.  I just can't buy into the coldest models in a setup like this.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Still holding out for about 2-3" on the front end.  Will need to get into some good rates for it to happen.  I just can't buy into the coldest models in a setup like this.

WTOD fool me once, shame on you. Fool me 2,303,494 times, shame on me. 

• Like 2