• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 8th, 2020 Coastal - little critter

Baroclinic Zone

Brian, I would take your scenario over Will's to be honest, but either one works, I just think the models have less of a case with the phase then they would with the lead shortwave moving.  The potential for a phase is still present, 60 hours out is enough time, plenty of time for the guidance to swing in the other direction, we need a benchmark position with a sub 985mb low.  Anything about that intensity will not get us the banding intense enough to get the needed rates for a 6"+ amounts, but if the storm ends up blowing up before the benchmark and is sub-980mbs we will get a huge impactful storm.  That disturbance that dives into the trough and tries to phase with the southern branch system is still over the British Columbia, Canadian province.  There are less RAOBs out there to get a good enough sample on the system.

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Brian, I would take your scenario over Will's to be honest, but either one works, I just think the models have less of a case with the phase then they would with the lead shortwave moving.  The potential for a phase is still present, 60 hours out is enough time, plenty of time for the guidance to swing in the other direction, we need a benchmark position with a sub 985mb low.  Anything about that intensity will not get us the banding intense enough to get the needed rates for a 6"+ amounts, but if the storm ends up blowing up before the benchmark and is sub-980mbs we will get a huge impactful storm.  That disturbance that dives into the trough and tries to phase with the southern branch system is still over the British Columbia, Canadian province.  There are less RAOBs out there to get a good enough sample on the system.

It’s dead jim

except Eastern Long Island And cape

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

The phasing will occur, it’s just a matter of when and where.

If the phase happens sooner, it will be because the northern stream is faster allowing the sooner phase, also the phase happens soon enough if it tilts negative first before hitting the coastline.  It is dependent on the northern stream 

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

It depends on a lot of things.

Indeed they do.  Just look at the upper level flow off to the northeast right now.  Not conducive to a storm coming up the coast at all.  It makes tracking these interesting when you are looking upstream and downstream to see what can go right or wrong.

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

Indeed they do.  Just look at the upper level flow off to the northeast right now.  Not conducive to a storm coming up the coast at all.  It makes tracking these interesting when you are looking upstream and downstream to see what can go right or wrong.

You still have yesterdays in the picture to the NE as well, So yes, A lot of moving parts to contend with.

Brian's response was more thorough that mine...I only mentioned the moosefart shortwave but like he said, we can get this to amplify other ways too such as a much stronger main shortwave and allowing the extra Canadian energy to come down and deepen it further. More amplified ridge out west would help because a more amped ridge would slow the flow down...but we come to the chicken/egg with that...does the fast flow prevent those scenarios from happening? 

The northern front runner wave lifting out quicker seemed a little easier to attain given the pattern but it also goes against today's trends. 

14 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

I know I'll get weenied for this. But 500 already looks better on the 0z NAM

Yeah, the northern stream lead shortwave is further north and less in the way of the main shortwave that provides our coastal storm energy so that it will amplify more and come west, at least it is better in the firs 24 hours of the run.

27 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

As interesting as watching paint dry. Actually a little less...

• Haha 1

NAM is looking a lot better with the northern stream lead shortwave and the primary disturbance in the southern stream at 33 hours.  A much more amplified 500mb pattern aloft, with a stronger western ridge and a weaker pacific west coast kicker disturbance.  This is all leading to a more amplified storm for Tuesday/Wednesday.