Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

6 hours ago, PaulyFromPlattsburgh said:

I would have to disagree. With the heights crashing like that and the baroclonic zone pushed off to the SE. also it never goes negative. Until it’s off the coast at least

For that depiction. A closed mid and upper level low passing not terribly far south of SNE would be pretty sweet.   Anyway it will change multiple times but I don’t mind that look.

• Like 1

If not for late November/very early December climo I think we’d all already be saying “congrats philly, ACY or maybe even DC” for the December 1st potential. A Cut-off running into a monster Greenland block screams suppression to me. I’m thinking a climo compromise is in order, so at this point I wouldn’t at all be surprised if NNE is cold and dry and the bulk of the event is in the Northern Mid Atlantic. Just my first low confidence guess...

In short, I think the trend on the GFS is real—it will persist—and should be taken seriously...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 3

26 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

Gefs looks pretty good.  Redevelopment off the MD coast.

The early trends are clear. Both eps and gefs packages have been nudging further SE from a stronger 50/50 effectively setting up the mid range goalposts. Problem is, they are pretty ideal at a 6day lead time...like, what can go wrong. Ginxy will wakeup and scream it’s effin Tuesday.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

If not for late November/very early December climo I think we’d all already be saying “congrats philly, ACY or maybe even DC” for the December 1st potential. A Cut-off running into a monster Greenland block screams suppression to me. I’m thinking a climo compromise is in order, so at this point I wouldn’t at all be surprised if NNE is cold and dry and the bulk of the event is in the Northern Mid Atlantic. Just my first low confidence guess...

In short, I think the trend on the GFS is real—it will persist—and should be taken seriously...

To my untrained eye, the track is somewhat similar to Feb 9 and 10 2010.

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

I dunno.....this system is pretty far north when it approaches the block.  Can it be shunted south?  Sure.  Likely?  I’m skeptical.   I think I taint more likely than ain’t.

The more likely scenario in a “shunted south” result is from disjointed mid levels causing weak surface reflection when the secondary tries to form. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The early trends are clear. Both eps and gefs packages have been nudging further SE from a stronger 50/50 effectively setting up the mid range goalposts. Problem is, they are pretty ideal at a 6day lead time...like, what can go wrong. Ginxy will wakeup and scream it’s effin Tuesday.

I screamed in delight it will be 60 today.  Get out and enjoy it Luke. Who knows whats going to happen next Monday. EPS likes NWCT BERKS TO Dendy. Probability highest there.

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

The trend on EPS is north, discount?

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

The trend on EPS is north, discount?

Everything should be considered at this point, but as I’ve said before, I think about what the evolution should look like independent of models, and then latch onto the guidance that begins to show it first. Basically to put it another way, I run my own model in my head—and right now the 6z GEFS looks much closer to what I’m thinking on this...maybe I’m wrong and the GFS is wrong, but one run of the EPS isn’t going to shake me one direction or the other right now, just need to see how things evolve over next several days. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Why is that most likely.

Because that is the most likely south solution.  A total whiff would be more likely if the ULL traversed across the south ala Jan 16 and never quite fully could climb up the coast. This ULL is across the upper midwest ie, less likely to be a whiff. The ‘whiff’ result would be a disjointed mid level mess, not a ‘it’s missing south’. Get it? 

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Everything should be considered at this point, but as I’ve said before, I think about what the evolution should look like independent of models, and then latch onto the guidance that begins to show it first. Basically to put it another way, I run my own model in my head—and right now the 6z GEFS looks much closer to what I’m thinking on this...maybe I’m wrong and the GFS is wrong, but one run of the EPS isn’t going to shake me one direction or the other right now, just need to see how things evolve over next several days. 

Pope’s brain model? With clothes on or off?

• Weenie 1

42 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

To my untrained eye, the track is somewhat similar to Feb 9 and 10 2010.

Yes. Similar. But that was with peak winter climo—northern jet stream further south— and that’s why i said a “compromise is in order”. So I think the bulk of it ends up further north—Northern Jersey, LI, cape and islands area...

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Lotta Gronk spiking on a storm track at 6 day lead time.

I haven’t seen much of spiking, merely discussions. That is what this place is for, right? Let me know otherwise and we can just regurgitate “wake me up on Friday” or “it’s 5 days out anything happen” posts that flood the thread...which adds essentially no value aka captain obvious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I haven’t seen much of spiking, merely discussions. That is what this place is for, right? Let me know otherwise and we can just regurgitate “wake me up on Friday” or “it’s 5 days out anything happen” posts that flood the thread...which adds essentially no value aka captain obvious. 

Saying "Most Likely" is not? :facepalm:

26 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I do the same but confirmation bias is a dangerous game. FYI its not been 1 run of EPS probabilities 

12 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Why so angry