Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2019 Med/Long Range Disco

Bob Chill

16 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

I just looked at the latest 10 day EURO.  Not white, but not a torch either.  Highs on Christmas in the upper 30s this run, not 60.

Interesting. It looked like some semblance of a back door front on the GFS for the 25th so was wondering about the Euro temps.  Many thanks!  Still can have a fire pit.

i see nothing to get excited about.....our shutout pattern looks to be about 2 weeks and then there is no guarantee of it even being that short. It will be like chasing a mirage. Still..at least we had a few events in December to get me to 1 inch but as usual, we will finished Dec below normal snow. 

6 minutes ago, Ji said:

i see nothing to get excited about.....our shutout pattern looks to be about 2 weeks and then there is no guarantee of it even being that short. It will be like chasing a mirage. Still..at least we had a few events in December to get me to 1 inch but as usual, we will finished Dec below normal snow. 

Thankfully winter hasn’t even started yet. I’ll turn to the doom and gloom this Saturday. :lol:

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That’s the storm this weekend. He hadn’t given up yet. 

i remember the Feb 2006 big snowstorm. The Euro and GFS showed it 7-8 days out and lost  it...and then the JMA sniffed out 3 days out and we thought it was full of bunk till  the euro ad GFS then agreed on their next  run. But we dont see stuff like that happen much anymore. Now once models lose it....its pretty much a lost cause

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ji said:

Yea, I don't see anything that leads me to believe a good winter pattern is on the way within the next 2 weeks and who knows what the "improved pattern" will look like whenever it gets here. 12z eps is pretty bad. One of the worst runs yet lately. Time to put all our chips on the GEFS.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

34 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Yea, I don't see anything that leads me to believe a good winter pattern is on the way within the next 2 weeks and who knows what the "improved pattern" will look like whenever it gets here. 12z eps is pretty bad. One of the worst runs yet lately. Time to put all our chips on the GEFS.  

What’s it show?

57 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Disappointing run. Good thing we get brand new looks every 6-12 hours. 

In regards to the EPS we have seen it miss the -EPO previously this Fall. I recall one such event. 

Different ballgame this go around, but Webb states the EPS does not have a good track record with seeing the early signs of a -EPO event at times. Read that over at 33. But, BAMWX has also brought this up previously as well. 

1 hour ago, LurkerBoy said:

60 on Xmas still? 

I’m not trying to be a smart ass, but do you look at the model runs on your own? 

Here’s a good site to see the gfs highs and lows for the next 16 days. BWI’ code is KBWI. Asheville’s code is KAVL.

http://wxweb.meteostar.com/sample/sample.shtml?text=Kbwi

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, frd said:

I propose the bias of both models in regards to the ensuing pattern change. The GEFS rushing things while the EPS taking too long. 

Ninja by WxUSAF :)

Both have internal consistency with their depiction of tropical forcing. The good news is even if the euro is right wrt an emergence of mjo forcing in phase 6, it would only be a little behind the gefs. It’s not like it’s emerging into phase 3!  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Just op run I know but that is some spiked cold end of Dec/early Jan.  Nice to see it.  

Yea, check out the iceland ridge and what it does to the tpv. Then check the 18z gefs and it shows the same thing. 12z gefs also had the iceland ridge. Imho- that's the key feature to watch. Pop a nasty ridge near iceland and force the tpv into Quebec. If it doesn't snow at least the ponds will freeze and I can skate 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

This is pretty sweet. Split flow, 50/50, confluence, blocking, and a little ridging in the deep south to send a massive slug of overrunning into arctic CAD. 

Snow that hangs around a bit would be cool!  

Also, an interesting look -  like a 1960s-ish which @psuhoffman   posted a while back.  In those blocking winters of the 1960s winters really ramp  up after the 1 st of the year. 

Plus, the look you posted Bob tends to fit the blocking signature in the Atlantic you find in some of the  low solar min periods.  

4 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

EPS certainly sniffed out the looming funk earlier so I hate to have to root against it.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic