• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
A little pre-season thread: Can Nov. 8 pull off an early win?

moneypitmike

56 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Well this thread was in fact a good training one.  What did we get?  The full progression:

1) claims of jumping the gun for starting this on Saturday

2) rising weenies as both Will's and Scooter's needles appeared to be getting threaded

3) Continuous bashing/disgust of the GFS,

4) Tip providing posts that only get 25% read because they're too long and with words no one understands

5) EC solid in the lead-up and then.....

6) These always come north.  SNE enjoys a cold rain with some flakes at the end and congrats PF/JSpin/Jeff.

7) Fears rise that this is indication of another gradient season.

Great post!!  Laughed good reading that.  Especially your number 4....it’s just too much work trying to figure It out most times.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The spread in the EPS shows the situation well enough at the moment...has some huge hits anywhere from SNE to NNE with some garbage solutions for both and some light to moderate solutions.

Haven't spoken with you in a while.  Have to admit also quite a spread in the models even considering the bias of them. Just a quick question, when is the best time frame in which the Euro is ideal to look at?  Just curious, thanks.:)

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Great post!!  Laughed good reading that.  Especially your number 4....it’s just too much work trying to figure It out most times.

I consider myself pretty smart, I graduating college with a B.S. in meteorology with a 3.7GPA and I'm not ashamed to say i don't understand many of the words he uses. Therefore i don't understand the sentence, the paragraph and the whole post in general and don't feel like looking up word after word. I do appreciate the time and energy he takes to make thoughtful and in depth analysis, though.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think it's crap, but Ineedweenies loves it.

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

The German Model. ICOsahedral Nonhydrostatic model

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this model referenced. There too many forecast models out there. Maybe resources should be all pooled together and go with a few models instead of 900 different types. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen this model referenced. There too many forecast models out there. Maybe resources should be all pooled together and go with a few models instead of 900 different types. 

You've never seen the ICON referenced? People talk about it all the time on these threads, weenies and mets...mostly weenies though or weenie mets LOL

4 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

You've never seen the ICON referenced? People talk about it all the time on these threads, weenies and mets...mostly weenies though or weenie mets LOL

Like in forecast discussions or twitter. Only time I see it posted on social media it’s usually done so with a snow map lol

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Like in forecast discussions or twitter. Only time I see it posted on social media it’s usually done so with a snow map lol

Yeah, it's never ever referenced on AFDs. AFDs i really only ever seen the GFS/GEM/ECMWF/NAM. Usually the UKMET is not referenced, sometimes i see it though.

28 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

If the GFS is crap now, the GEM is not really taken serious, the UK is the crazy uncle with wild swings and solutions, and the Icon is pretty bad what good global models are there to look at now besides the ECMWF?

Being as bad as it is, it the GFS still #2 though? I'd like to hear some thoughts on this.

The GFS is definitely #2. 

#2 as in a steaming hot pile of dog dung in Ginxy’s backyard.

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

WTF is the ICON?

ive seen it floated out there the last few years but only in winter...never summer.

is it just another model that gets used in winter b/c it has snow maps? 

I think the ICON is a really good model.  Verification/ranking compared to the ECM and GFS would probably depend on the particular geophysical parameter and also region.  It has performed well in Germany in terms of low level temperatures and about on par with the GFS in terms of precipitation forecasts (although FV3 has been poor lately).  I think it's better than both the UK and the Canadian models, at least in Europe.  Since it's a global model, it should perform well in the US, but I have not checked closely since I have been outside the US for a while.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Is that the same model? I have no idea. I remember it did a great job with the pre Christmas ice event here in 2017, and the Christmas miracle storm here that year.

ARPEGE is from meteofrance. The 1km Swiss model is from Joerg from weather.us. I think it’s paywalled now behind weather.us and the sister site weathermodels.com by Maue.

• Like 1

The ETA and NGM are gone. This isn't 2001 anymore.  Other countries have supercomputers, observation networks, and talented developers.  Models are constantly being developed.  Unfortunately most Americans have have little care or awareness for what happens in the rest of the world.