Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That storm was my glory...loved that storm. Such a sharp cutoff just inside 495. 

That was one of the most bitter pills that I have ever had to swallow. Never forget that sting....right around the holidays..

It even started as a couple of inches of grease outside if rt 128, and I rejoiced, thinking that I was all set.....then, splat-

8 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Made it worse.

Yeah the first one overachieving right to the coast made it easy to fall for the headfake on storm #2...made everyone think it was happening again but then the R/S line just retreated back to about 495.   

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the first one overachieving right to the coast made it easy to fall for the headfake on storm #2...made everyone think it was happening again but then the R/S line just retreated back to about 495.   

I was disappointed,  but storm 2 was a lock for rain here,  but I hear Ray. Nut punch when 5 miles west was losing trees. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I was disappointed,  but storm 2 was a lock for rain here,  but I hear Ray. Nut punch when 5 miles west was losing trees. 

I mentioned this before but there was a thin band of nasty icing in that storm...really tough to get that with the marginal cold, but rigjt around where I am in Holliston, Hopkinton up to around Bolton and northeast to near Tip in Ayer....though the icing was a little less up north as it was more rain vs snow...but there was like a third of an inch of ice after about 6-8" of snow in the 2nd storm in that narrow stripe....lots of power outages. Hopkinton was blackout for like 2 days after the event. 

The icing briefly made it as far west as shrewsbury and west boylston because the next day we were out that direction and I remember a thin layer off crust on the top there whereas just a few miles west back in ORH there was no crust at all. 

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I mentioned this before but there was a thin band of nasty icing in that storm...really tough to get that with the marginal cold, but rigjt around where I am in Holliston, Hopkinton up to around Bolton and northeast to near Tip in Ayer....though the icing was a little less up north as it was more rain vs snow...but there was like a third of an inch of ice after about 6-8" of snow in the 2nd storm in that narrow stripe....lots of power outages. Hopkinton was blackout for like 2 days after the event. 

The icing briefly made it as far west as shrewsbury and west boylston because the next day we were out that direction and I remember a thin layer off crust on the top there whereas just a few miles west back in ORH there was no crust at all. 

Yeah I remember you saying that,  but until you brought that up, I had no idea. I just remembered the pics from like Acton of trees down from the wet snow. Been a while since one of those true ORH specials. 

38 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I remember you saying that,  but until you brought that up, I had no idea. I just remembered the pics from like Acton of trees down from the wet snow. Been a while since one of those true ORH specials. 

Yeah. We kind of had a moderate event that was strictly west of 495 on 12/29/16. Had around 6" in ORH in that one while there was basically zilch inside 495. I was out on winter hill that day  

Too bad that one actually didn't pop just a hair sooner because it had an incredible stinger just north along the NH seacoast and S Maine. 

Yeah Scott that was an interesting double December 96 and 97 back whence.

The 97 Dec 23 event really sticks out for me, because I had sent off an email to Leonard - whom I was interning with at the time - warning him that the ETA profiles combined with the synoptics supported more white - one of those synoptic params was the clear sky the night before, which "capped" the cold when the dense cirrus came in at dawn... We were radiated down to 19 F, and that was prior to forecast for wet snow/rain, with zero llv WAA penetration - uh... no.  Sorry. 

Tiny flakes so dense you couldn't breath and 6" in one hour, book ended with three hours of 2 to 3" per hour on either end, and we just got literally hammered to 16" in Acton in like 5 hours flat.  I'd never seen that from anything synoptic... and didn't see anything like that until Dec 2005, when I got 7" out of one hour in that one. ... digress... But the Dec 23 1997 system was so anomalously off the charts - I don't know what to say //   talking 1-3" of wet snow in Methuen and they ended up Jack potting 23" or something with two consecutive hours of 7" - and the snow was closer to powder, too.  I just don't know how that scale and degree of bust is even possible, even by 1997 modeling standards that'  buffoonery -