Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2019 discussion

weathafella

57 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

A lot of you turks probably have little memory of Dec 1989. I have not felt colder than I did working outside on the Thames River in New London Ct. So heres the 89 5H and todays GEFS EPS

Screenshot_20191122-070151_Chrome.jpg

download (77).png

download (78).png

On 11/18/2019 at 12:46 PM, mreaves said:

My greatest fear is the December 1989/January 1990 duet. -17.3 in December 1989 at BTV to +11.8 in January 1990.  The high temp for the month of December was 41 on the 12/31.  I am always in fear of the rubber band snap back.

https://www.weather.gov/media/btv/events/Dec1989.pdf

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If we are getting EPO ridging then trough propensity is in the plains. With the -NAO it will help keep things under us. I don’t worry about flow speed. I don’t need a block buster. Just want some winter events. 

Ya no blocking or Davis straits ridging and we would probably need to hope for nothing amplified and maybe an overrunning event and a scooter high. Otherwise it’s the all familiar cold/dry mild/wet favored look

Just now, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya no blocking or Davis straits ridging and we would probably need to hope for nothing amplified and maybe an overrunning event and a scooter high. Otherwise it’s the all familiar cold/dry mild/wet favored look

Biggest fear heading into winter is a continuation of the 80’s. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It can still work, I’m not trying to say it can’t, just that the NAO is our friend with these patterns. But you know me, I think we overrate the NAO. As long as pacific is ok we can make things work. 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It can still work, I’m not trying to say it can’t, just that the NAO is our friend with these patterns. But you know me, I think we overrate the NAO. As long as pacific is ok we can make things work. 

Scott I know what your saying and I value it . 

Half your responses are like playing parents to those who can’t swallow the medicine. I understand what increases our odds near coastal plain and what doesn’t and you stated it well . Probabilities 

2 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Scott I know what your saying and I value it . 

Half your responses are like playing parents to those who can’t swallow the medicine. I understand what increases our odds near coastal plain and what doesn’t and you stated it well . Probabilities 

I don't mean to come across as unclear so my apologies if so. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I thought ‘pac’ is both epo and pna, no?

PNA domain covers over to Rockies I believe . Ridge centered over Rockies is usually favorable to a trough in east IIRC and is more favorable for east coast snow lovers w amped lows (compared to something amped in -EPO we usually need some block to squash- redevelop something under us or better to cash in with overrunning and well timed highs 

A little Davis straits ridging or a little -Nao gives us much more opportunities for favorable outcomes in coastal plain IIRC in many -EPO’s 

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

PNA domain covers over to Rockies I believe . Ridge centered over Rockies is usually favorable to a trough in east IIRC and is more favorable for east coast snow lovers w amped lows (compared to something amped in -EPO we usually need some block to squash- redevelop something under us or better to cash in with overrunning and well timed highs 

A little Davis straits ridging or a little -Nao gives us much more opportunities for favorable outcomes in coastal plain IIRC in many -EPO’s 

Yea I know where the pna is located. My point is when the pac is mentioned, I always think we are discussing both the epo and pna domains...to an extent. So when Scooter says, “pac drives the bus” I assume it’s not just epo but the pna as well. 

What I have found with the EPO dataset I have since 1948 is we get a loading pattern often. These huge drops in EPO dislodge so much cold it bleeds into the US and very often  not always translate to snowy cold times here in New England. The correlation with cold with EPO is our largest telleconnection correlation. Get us the cold like we always say. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Yeah remember getting approx 4 inches of mixed precip. That stayed till Jan due to the frigid conditions.

Just to touch quickly on a storm I got screwed on Royally was 93 Superstorm what a tough one to swallow in SE Mass when Atlanta is left w more snow than you after a change to heavy rain in evening and 3” of cement that I told my neighbor on vacation I would shovel . Literally 3” that required a axe. Max depth was about 11 Prior to the rains. If only I had a car back then . Hideous that and December 92 was a serious shiat sandwich handed to KTAN when areas just W /NW got buried . Thank goodness I went with my dad that next day and we went to diamond hill (just a burial there in 92’)