• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid October 2019 Bombogensis Coastal

Ginx snewx

Well after grinding all night to finish (between actually doing the forecast) I've come up with a multiple regression equation that explains roughly 60% of the variance in wind gusts at PWM.

32 + (50% 925 wind) + (90% lapse rates sfc to 925) - (5% of sfc to 925 depth)

Based on the 06z NAM bufkit for PWM, that gives me a first guess gust of 47.6 knots at PWM. I kind of like it. 

Still have to test this against some independent data, but results are promising.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Well after grinding all night to finish (between actually doing the forecast) I've come up with a multiple regression equation that explains roughly 60% of the variance in wind gusts at PWM.

32 + (50% 925 wind) + (90% lapse rates sfc to 925) - (5% of sfc to 925 depth)

Based on the 06z NAM bufkit for PWM, that gives me a first guess gust of 47.6 knots at PWM. I kind of like it. 

Still have to test this against some independent data, but results are promising.

Run that for RKD. 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

In an ideal world the independent analysis will show that the first guess is within 10 knots 100% of the time (as the study I modeled this off of found). Hopefully it's even better than that.

There is definitely some meso scale features that will drive the winds too. Tough to nail those as well. I'm also starting to wonder if areas esp in SE MA should focus again on the CAA stuff. Pretty good agreement on 40-50kt potential there from the SW. Not a usual direction for that with foliation.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

There is definitely some meso scale features that will drive the winds too. Tough to nail those as well. I'm also starting to wonder if areas esp in SE MA should focus again on the CAA stuff. Pretty good agreement on 40-50kt potential there from the SW. Not a usual direction for that with foliation.

Looks a little sting-y

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's just going to come down to how and when any little meso low forms. Even on the euro, you can see these features when looking at the little narrow 1hr and 3hr QPF swaths. Big winds would be just east of that. 

It seems that this shouldn’t remain a mystery for long. The mesolow—if it develops—is currently developing off the Carolina coast. That much is consistent across the guidance which has it. We watch.

Just now, jbenedet said:

It seems that this shouldn’t remain a mystery for long. The mesolow—if it develops—is currently developing off the Carolina coast. That much is consistent across the guidance which has it. We watch.

Well there might be a series of weak ones, is what I mean. Almost g-wave features.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 512high said:

Is it safe to say around this time tomorrow that the heaviest precip. should be done with over southern NH?

Your window is like 10 pm to 4 am or so I think.

HREF is painting quite a bullish picture for QPF for the upslope in NH and VT. Even taking 60-80% of QPF is like 3-4". 

• Like 1

Been reading most of the posts here. Has anything changed? Seems most folks were saying no big deal or going east.. meh etc. Flying back from Atlanta this morning.. captain said lots of turbulence off the east coast and will need to fly at lower alt. So should I bring my lawn chairs in?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk