• Member Statistics

    15,852
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Pickles
    Newest Member
    Pickles
    Joined
IWXwx

Autumn/Winter 2019-2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Winnipeg also has had two days this month where the high failed to go above  0F. 

Im sure they have. It was strictly a snowfall comparison as to what the UP might average without lakes.  Winnipeg, like Minneapolis only even more so, certainly makes the most snow cover wise out of the amount of snowfall they receive. But we were strictly discussing how much snow the Great Lakes may avg... without the Great Lakes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Im sure they have. It was strictly a snowfall comparison as to what the UP might average without lakes.  Winnipeg, like Minneapolis only even more so, certainly makes the most snow cover wise out of the amount of snowfall they receive. But we were strictly discussing how much snow the Great Lakes may avg... without the Great Lakes

... and ya'll can hush too! :P

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Winnipeg averages 45", about the same as Detroit or Boston 

Winnipeg averages 45" over 9 months (Sept-May). Winnipeg is super cold though. However, Boston depends heavily on Nor'easter's which can make or break their winter season. Our climo is a bit different. Our storms aren't as big but we usually get more clippers or smaller events when they get rain. Snow cover isn't as common in Boston either unless you're in Worcester or something. 

I'm sure they wouldn't trade a 25" blizzard for snow cover and a 4" storm lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

... and ya'll can hush too! :P

Haha strictly just conversation. I love our entire state and all the lakes that surround it. I will be in Munising February 16-19, and looks active here before that, so hoping for lots of winter fun!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Snowstorms said:

Winnipeg averages 45" over 9 months (Sept-May). However, Boston depends heavily on Nor'easter's which can make or break their winter season. Our climo is a bit different. Our storms aren't as big but we usually get more clippers or smaller events when they get rain. Snow cover isn't as common in Boston either unless you're in Worcester or something. 

I'm sure they wouldn't trade a 25" blizzard for snow cover and a 4" storm lol. 

I don't think any of us would trade a 25" blizzard for a 4" storm. However, if you read some of the other sub forums they literally get excited over a few flakes of snow. When the famine is here, it isnt fun lol.  Flakes fall in the lakes pretty much every day even in terrible patterns that are not torching. So many different climates make up North America

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, michsnowfreak said:

I don't think any of us would trade a 25" blizzard for a 4" storm. However, if you read some of the other sub forums they literally get excited over a few flakes of snow. When the famine is here, it isnt fun lol.  Flakes fall in the lakes pretty much every day even in terrible patterns that are not torching. So many different climates make up North America

They get excited because they're so heavily dependent on those big storms. Their snowfall average isn't as uniform as Detroit. Look back at 09-10 or 15-16 when they had those big storms. I'm sure it didn't last longer than a week on the ground lol. Our geography helps us out quite a bit. Hence why we see a lot of smaller events (2" - 6") every winter. And then occasionally we get a big storm or two (8+"). 

This winter outside of a few events has been a joke. It's been exceptionally warm and is up there with 11-12 and 01-02 in recent years. Up here in Toronto our snowfall average since 1990 has actually been declining and part of that is because of some shit winters. Namely 94-95, 97-98, 01-02, 05-06, 06-07, 09-10, 11-12, 15-16 and 16-17. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

They get excited because they're so heavily dependent on those big storms. Their snowfall average isn't as uniform as Detroit. Look back at 09-10 or 15-16 when they had those big storms. I'm sure it didn't last longer than a week on the ground lol. Our geography helps us out quite a bit. Hence why we see a lot of smaller events (2" - 6") every winter. And then occasionally we get a big storm or two (8+"). 

This winter outside of a few events has been a joke. It's been exceptionally warm and is up there with 11-12 and 01-02 in recent years. Up here in Toronto our snowfall average since 1990 has actually been declining and part of that is because of some shit winters. Namely 94-95, 97-98, 01-02, 05-06, 06-07, 09-10, 11-12, 15-16 and 16-17. 

SOME??  :yikes:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RogueWaves said:

SOME??  :yikes:

01-02, 06-07, 09-10, 11-12 and 15-16 were the real shitty winters. Here's a list of our least snowiest winters on record, in sequence, going back to 1937. 

(1) 11-12  (2) 09-10  (3) 52-53  (4) 06-07  (5) 15-16 

Beavis would go nuts if he experienced that ^. :lol:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Snowstorms said:

01-02, 06-07, 09-10, 11-12 and 15-16 were the real shitty winters. Here's a list of our least snowiest winters on record, in sequence, going back to 1937. 

(1) 11-12  (2) 09-10  (3) 52-53  (4) 06-07  (5) 15-16 

Beavis would go nuts if he experienced that ^. :lol:

Like the (4) in recent times, uh yeah! I'd go nuts myself. Can't speak to 52-53, but the other (4) were good to great around here so that's really surprising. 2011-12 was the worst here at a DAB below normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3rd cloudiest January on record for my area and I have yet to have my grass completely covered with snow. This ain’t right Beavis

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, King James said:

3rd cloudiest January on record for my area and I have yet to have my grass completely covered with snow. This ain’t right Beavis

Absolutely...sorry about that. Just hard to fathom. Beyond words at this point...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

Absolutely...sorry about that. Just hard to fathom. Beyond words at this point...

lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had about 1.5 hours of sun before noon today for the first time since like Xmas.  Thank goodness. Went outside in my shorts to replenish my vitamin D deficiency.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Snowstorms said:

They get excited because they're so heavily dependent on those big storms. Their snowfall average isn't as uniform as Detroit. Look back at 09-10 or 15-16 when they had those big storms. I'm sure it didn't last longer than a week on the ground lol. Our geography helps us out quite a bit. Hence why we see a lot of smaller events (2" - 6") every winter. And then occasionally we get a big storm or two (8+"). 

This winter outside of a few events has been a joke. It's been exceptionally warm and is up there with 11-12 and 01-02 in recent years. Up here in Toronto our snowfall average since 1990 has actually been declining and part of that is because of some shit winters. Namely 94-95, 97-98, 01-02, 05-06, 06-07, 09-10, 11-12, 15-16 and 16-17. 

Yes which is why its crazy that we havent had the usual small to mid-size events that make up our climo.

Here are the top 5 events at DTW this season so far

9.2" (Nov 11/12)

6.8" (Jan 18)

1.3" (Dec 31)

1.1" (Jan 7/8)

0.7" (Jan 5)

 

Completely at odds with our typically climo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Like the (4) in recent times, uh yeah! I'd go nuts myself. Can't speak to 52-53, but the other (4) were good to great around here so that's really surprising. 2011-12 was the worst here at a DAB below normal.

11-12s sucktitude receives more than enough discussion so it goes without saying. The winter sucked, but was not a futility winter. 06-07 & 15-16 were somewhat below avg but nowhere near futility. 

 

1952-53 is probably one of the worst winters ever at Detroit. The total snowfall of 16.6" ranks it "only" as 7th least snowy on record. Only 16 days had 1"+ of snowcover, and 13 of those 16 recorded a depth of 1"! The other 3 had a depth of 2". The largest snow of the season was 3.2", but like many others it included some rain and melting, ao while its possible depth was 3" for a bit, 52-53 remains the only winter on record to not see an obs time snow depth of 3"+. It is also the only winter on record to have no snow depth over a T after Jan 31st. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While some are complaining about the lack of cold air, I'm wondering why it's basically the same temperature (mid-30s) and sky conditions (overcast) in southern Ohio as I left in Madison. 35 is mild by Wisconsin January standards, so you'd think it could be like in the 50s here, but nooooooo. Also been getting snow showers (melting on contact with the pavement) most of the day.

- Currently in Dayton for my fiancee's brother's Air Force promotion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CheeselandSkies said:

While some are complaining about the lack of cold air, I'm wondering why it's basically the same temperature (mid-30s) and sky conditions (overcast) in southern Ohio as I left in Madison. 35 is mild by Wisconsin January standards, so you'd think it could be like in the 50s here, but nooooooo. Also been getting snow showers (melting on contact with the pavement) most of the day.

- Currently in Dayton for my fiancee's brother's Air Force promotion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
 

Get to the Air Force Museum while you're in town. A must see when in the area.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, buckeye said:

they said, just a little more....you're almost there.....make it to January 20th and you'll cross into the promised land......

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a8c3057166504286eb4

Quality gif

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2020 at 8:53 PM, IWXwx said:

I had to laugh at Megan's opening to this afternoon's short term discussion from IWX:

WELL IF YOU'RE ANYTHING LIKE ME, YOU ARE GETTING KIND OF CRANKY REGARDING THE EXTENSIVE CLOUD COVER AND OVERALL DREARY CONDITIONS THIS WEEK. I WISH I COULD OFFER SOME HOPE, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE WE'RE STUCK WITH THIS THROUGH AT LEAST THE SHORT TERM.

Tell us what your really think. :lol:

But we can say with emphasis that confidence is quite low on any details with that period besides that northeast winds should become prevalent and combined with good ol` stratus clouds, that will push our high temperatures back down into the 30s.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, A-L-E-K said:

We've had robins here all winter 

we also have a flourishing year round population of winter hearty feral parrots thats been here for 50 years and which is spreading towards elgin

 

sometimes i feel like we’re abnormal, birdwise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, sokolow said:

we also have a flourishing year round population of winter hearty feral parrots thats been here for 50 years and which is spreading towards elgin

 

sometimes i feel like we’re abnormal, birdwise

Yes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/30/2020 at 10:12 PM, michsnowfreak said:

Haha strictly just conversation. I love our entire state and all the lakes that surround it. I will be in Munising February 16-19, and looks active here before that, so hoping for lots of winter fun!

You should have decent snow up in Munising when you’re up there. My bro n law just got back from snowmobiling up there all weekend and said there’s pretty good snow but they could definitely use more. On our way home from our place up at Higgins yesterday there’s good snow till you get just south of west Branch, then it’s like a switch and someone turned off the snow. We have about 14” of really heavy snow at our place right now. It’s crazy that 175 miles north and 400 feet of elevation can look so different then around home, it’s like a totally different world with deep snow, people out ice fishing compared to home with extremely green grass for this time of year and no ice on any lakes to be found.  It kinda reminds me of out west in the mountains when you can have warm weather and bare ground down in towns and valleys at lower elevations and deep snow just a hour or less just up the mountain. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, slow poke said:

You should have decent snow up in Munising when you’re up there. My bro n law just got back from snowmobiling up there all weekend and said there’s pretty good snow but they could definitely use more. On our way home from our place up at Higgins yesterday there’s good snow till you get just south of west Branch, then it’s like a switch and someone turned off the snow. We have about 14” of really heavy snow at our place right now. It’s crazy that 175 miles north and 400 feet of elevation can look so different then around home, it’s like a totally different world with deep snow, people out ice fishing compared to home with extremely green grass for this time of year and no ice on any lakes to be found.  It kinda reminds me of out west in the mountains when you can have warm weather and bare ground down in towns and valleys at lower elevations and deep snow just a hour or less just up the mountain. 

Munising and grand marais almost always do well. I notice some grass is green (not spring green but not brown) but then some is not. Ponds and smaller lakes have thin ice but only a fool would attempt to go on it. Bigger bodies of water are open or with chunky ice. Now that the snow here has melted, if not for all the snow piles around it may seem like mid or late March rather than early Feb. Hopefully the upcoming pattern replenishes our snowcover downstate and adds to the depth up north. There have been years where my drive up 75 shows snowcover is just as good down here as most of the rest of lower mi (outside of the ever present gaylord lollipop) so its good to see that this year the north is really cashing in and making the most, tho they usually do in milder winters.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 6:35 AM, slow poke said:

You should have decent snow up in Munising when you’re up there. My bro n law just got back from snowmobiling up there all weekend and said there’s pretty good snow but they could definitely use more. On our way home from our place up at Higgins yesterday there’s good snow till you get just south of west Branch, then it’s like a switch and someone turned off the snow. We have about 14” of really heavy snow at our place right now. It’s crazy that 175 miles north and 400 feet of elevation can look so different then around home, it’s like a totally different world with deep snow, people out ice fishing compared to home with extremely green grass for this time of year and no ice on any lakes to be found.  It kinda reminds me of out west in the mountains when you can have warm weather and bare ground down in towns and valleys at lower elevations and deep snow just a hour or less just up the mountain. 

It is amazing, and we're pretty fortunate to have this option during winter. Many states west of us don't. They don't get the extra snow from the GL's like we do. Even more contrasting can sometimes be seen in early spring. I remember back in the 90's we'd be downstate for Easter holiday visits and there would already be greened-up lawns in April due to T-storms. Then drive back home outside of Traverse and there'd be an iceberg of condensed snow a foot deep and Peeps crossing the hwy on snowmobiles. '86 was even more extreme. Folks going up to their cabin for Easter break and having to plow 24" out of their driveways just to get in. And that was in NEMI, not even the classic snowbelt zone. Do you remember the infamous ABC news footage back in May of '82? On World News Tonight they did a story about the Regan era military build-up and somehow decided on footage from Camp Grayling as their example of troops in training. Here it was a warm May day and these soldiers are running around in the 18" deep remainder of the awesome snow pack from that legendary winter! You want to see when Alpena was raking, check out their snow totals all thru the 80's. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

It is amazing, and we're pretty fortunate to have this option during winter. Many states west of us don't. They don't get the extra snow from the GL's like we do. Even more contrasting can sometimes be seen in early spring. I remember back in the 90's we'd be downstate for Easter holiday visits and there would already be greened-up lawns in April due to T-storms. Then drive back home outside of Traverse and there'd be an iceberg of condensed snow a foot deep and Peeps crossing the hwy on snowmobiles. '86 was even more extreme. Folks going up to their cabin for Easter break and having to plow 24" out of their driveways just to get in. And that was in NEMI, not even the classic snowbelt zone. Do you remember the infamous ABC news footage back in May of '82? On World News Tonight they did a story about the Regan era military build-up and somehow decided on footage from Camp Grayling as their example of troops in training. Here it was a warm May day and these soldiers are running around in the 18" deep remainder of the awesome snow pack from that legendary winter! You want to see when Alpena was raking, check out their snow totals all thru the 80's. 

 Alpena has really been in a snow drought the past 10 years or so. My aunt and uncle used to live on Long Lake just just north of town, we would go there snowmobiling back in the early and mid 90’s before we had our own cabin. I remember back in the winter of 95/96 going up there and the big round bails of hay, the 5’+ tall ones, were almost completely covered out in the farm fields where we would ride, just incredible deep snow for anywhere in MI let alone north east Lower MI. North of Alpena around the Roger City area does get quite a bit of lake effect snow off of Huron though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, that broad belt of vigorous 500mb SW flow east of the Rockies on the GFS about 5-7 days from now would be awesome if it was A/M/J. Someone in the sub might still have to keep an eye out for an overachieving early season severe event, although it'll more likely be in the Dixie jungles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.