• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Autumn/Winter 2019-2020 Banter/Complaint Thread

IWXwx

Although I usually don't have much to complain about during fall, I figured we should have a place to banter.

The IND discussion this afternoon had some sound scientific advice:

SO, IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE OUTSIDE THIS EVENING...
LISTEN TO YOUR MOM AND WEAR YOUR COAT.

:lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Although I usually don't have much to complain about during fall, I figured we should have a place to banter.
The IND discussion this afternoon had some sound scientific advice:
SO, IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE OUTSIDE THIS EVENING...LISTEN TO YOUR MOM AND WEAR YOUR COAT.

:lol:

Now what would be the fun in that? How am I going to catch a cold wearing a coat?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just like the theme. Systems strengthening in our sub. West and eastward too. That run may be the old GooFuS doing it's thing, but there have been a lot of wound-up storms already, and most, other than the MT and ND bliz's haven't really even had cold air infusion going for them. I think it's a good sign going forward. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, buckeye said:

So I re-activated my wxbell subscription...   have to say the new model graphics are much improved....very nice! 

Not sure when they updated it, but wxbell is now showing the 06z/18z Euro runs now.  Nice addition.  They're also continuing to tweak the model graphics, as they've  just recently added 3hr increments for P-type/thickness to the Euro.

EDIT:  And now I see they have added hourly maps for many of the parameters, like surface temp, etc.  Very nice!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Not sure when they updated it, but wxbell is now showing the 06z/18z Euro runs now.  Nice addition.  They're also continuing to tweak the model graphics, as they've  just recently added 3hr increments for P-type/thickness to the Euro.

EDIT:  And now I see they have added hourly maps for many of the parameters, like surface temp, etc.  Very nice!

I have, at long last, caved and subscribed as well. So far, I'm not dissapointed. Can't wait to use all of this stuff in the future!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Wow. I just found out what Malaka means in Greek, hence the profile photo. Color me ignorant.

Oh. My. Lord. I swear that is a coincidence. Please, you have to believe me. My family is Hungarian, and my mother's childhood nickname for me was malacka, which translates into piggy, or piglet. I swear this is a coincidence. 

Just now, Malacka11 said:

Oh. My. Lord. I swear that is a coincidence. Please, you have to believe me. My family is Hungarian, and my mother's childhood nickname for me was malacka, which translates into piggy, or piglet. I swear this is a coincidence. 

Hey, no problem. I just happened to be doing some research on Greek language and that popped up. I had been reading and posting here earlier, so I already had your screen name in my head. I'm the one who should be apologizing. I had no idea that it also is a Hungarian word. I hope you will forgive me. I just assumed that it was an inside joke.

2 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Hey, no problem. I just happened to be doing some research on Greek language and that popped up. I had been reading and posting here earlier, so I already had your screen name in my head. I'm the one who should be apologizing. I had no idea that it also is a Hungarian word. I hope you will forgive me. I just assumed that it was an inside joke.

It's all good lol; this was actually an incredibly amusing experience, it's just that I already have a reputation as one of the less-serious members on here so the last thing I need is everyone to think I'm a total fool :D

Just now, Malacka11 said:

It's all good lol; this was actually an incredibly amusing experience, it's just that I already have a reputation as one of the less-serious members on here so the last thing I need is everyone to think I'm a total fool :D

I also have that reputation. I know just enough about the weather to be dangerous.  There is not much seriousness in my DNA. I really am sorry to call you out on something that in fact had a different meaning. What is really a coincidence is that I used to call my oldest daughter (she's an adult now) piglet, because she loves pigs.

7 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

I also have that reputation. I know just enough about the weather to be dangerous.  There is not much seriousness in my DNA. I really am sorry to call you out on something that in fact had a different meaning. What is really a coincidence is that I used to call my oldest daughter (she's an adult now) piglet, because she loves pigs.

That is quite the coincidence! 

Seeing that I know quite little about the weather, I strive to maintain my standing through other means. No worries though, I learned something new today.

3 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Call me a wimp, but I really can't wait until daylight savings time. I'm staying up way too late to observe the CMC/GEFS...

Just so you know, we are currently under daylight savings time. On November 3rd e will revert to standard time.

While it will be chilly in these parts over the next few days, some incredibly cold air has plunged into the Rockies and western plains. 

Denver, as an example...

10/28:  New record cold max of 21.  Old record was 30 in 1925.

10/29:  New record cold max of 19.  Old record was 25 in 1993.

10/30:  Record cold max is 18 in 2002; record low is 7 in 1991.  Forecast is 19/3, so a record low will probably be set.

10/31:  Record low is 10 in 1991.  Forecast low is -3 (!).  All-time October monthly low is -2 on 10/29/1917.

Normals this time of year are around 60/30...so there will be 3 days in a row with -40 departures on the high temps.

It looks like Cheyenne WY will smash their October monthly record low too.

• Like 4