• Member Statistics

    15,773
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    mansour
    Newest Member
    mansour
    Joined
Steve

“Let’s Talk Winter”

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I have to admit it looks better for us than you, but it looks better for you than jbs i95 fanclub.  He always has an extreme east coast bias and I will admit, it's not looking as good for them, so I'm sure throwing in the towel refers to the East Coast. It is still strange to hear him admit that though lol.

JB: I am convinced that the MJO and EPO control the pattern when they are amplified, The warm phase rotation of the MJO spawned the positive EPO which destroys NAMER cold. In spite of an undercutting trough in the means, the third in the series of underachieving troughs overall passes off the east coast this weekend, and not only does it produce almost nothing, but its followed by a blow torch

The latest MJO forecast has the modeling sniffing warm phases

if it gets into those favors, the EPO will likely shift back positive

If that happens then I will throw in the towel, Most have, I will just be the last

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, buckeye said:

JB: I am convinced that the MJO and EPO control the pattern when they are amplified, The warm phase rotation of the MJO spawned the positive EPO which destroys NAMER cold. In spite of an undercutting trough in the means, the third in the series of underachieving troughs overall passes off the east coast this weekend, and not only does it produce almost nothing, but its followed by a blow torch

The latest MJO forecast has the modeling sniffing warm phases

if it gets into those favors, the EPO will likely shift back positive

If that happens then I will throw in the towel, Most have, I will just be the last

 

Id panic if i was in NYC and rejoice in Minneapolis. Here in Detroit, i feel a bit nervous but mostly confident that more snowstorms are in the offing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

Is CMH still on track for least snowiest January? It better be. If it’s gonna suck this bad, we may as well break records!!!!

Futility records are all we got.

Amazing that we haven't had a single trackable event that we were all able to discuss in here.   Granted we still have Feb, but if we go through Feb without a trackable event I can honestly say I don't recall that ever happening in my years of posting on these boards.   Possibly '11-'12 but even that probably had some early action.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, pondo1000 said:

Is CMH still on track for least snowiest January? It better be. If it’s gonna suck this bad, we may as well break records!!!!

Nope, unfortunately the airport measured 0.2" on Saturday. The record for least snowfall is a Trace, which was all we've received until late Saturday.

I'm all in for futility records now. But the one for least snowfall in a season is already out the window. To-date, we're at 5.3" and the record of 1941-42 is 4.9".

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

Nope, unfortunately the airport measured 0.2" on Saturday. The record for least snowfall is a Trace, which was all we've received until late Saturday.

I'm all in for futility records now. But the one for least snowfall in a season is already out the window. To-date, we're at 5.3" and the record of 1941-42 is 4.9".

Thx 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WestMichigan said:

Not that this year is great, but '41-'42 must have been really bad.

yea 4.9 for the whole winter :yikes:.

As pessimistic as I am about the rest of this winter I still think we scratch ourselves to double digits....it'll be DAB's and car toppers, and probably crap that occurs in early spring....but I'm sure we'll still get there in an ugly way.   

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, buckeye said:

Futility records are all we got.

Amazing that we haven't had a single trackable event that we were all able to discuss in here.   Granted we still have Feb, but if we go through Feb without a trackable event I can honestly say I don't recall that ever happening in my years of posting on these boards.   Possibly '11-'12 but even that probably had some early action.

I swear if we get some BS cold/snow the end of Feb, beginning of March, I’m gonna be pissed! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WestMichigan said:

Not that this year is great, but '41-'42 must have been really bad.

It was a crap year for sure, though that period had a lot of stinkers. At Detroit. 1941-42 saw only 23.4" total (15th least snowy winter on record(, and only 20 days had 1"+ snowcover (by comparison, this winter so far is at 21.9" and 23 days thru Jan 30). 

 

The largest snowstorm in 1941-42 was 4.2" on Apr 9/10, and the peak obs time snow depth all season was 3".

 

Looking at Columbus, after a 2.5" snowfall in early Jan 1942, the next largest snowfall that season was 0.3".

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, osubrett2 said:

Going through the monthly climate data, CMH has only received measurable snow on 6 days:

11/12: 2.1"

11/13: 0.7"

12/15: 1.5"

12/16: 0.7"

12/17: 0.1"

01/25: 0.2"

I was looking at records for Columbus and it looks like the record for fewest number of days with measurable snow is 5.  That is pretty unbelievable.  It appears to be very anomalous though as the next fewest is quite a bit higher than that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got on here and saw the "hot" tag on this thread and stupidly thought maybe something good was brewing. sigh.. 

This has been without a doubt the most craptastic winter I remember thus far in my lifetime. My boss typically goes to Florida for a week in February and we have had polar vortexes here during that same week, on more than one occasion. I was holding out hope for that, but I fear my hopes will be dashed. Oh well..

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, weatherzen said:

Got on here and saw the "hot" tag on this thread and stupidly thought maybe something good was brewing. sigh.. 

This has been without a doubt the most craptastic winter I remember thus far in my lifetime. My boss typically goes to Florida for a week in February and we have had polar vortexes here during that same week, on more than one occasion. I was holding out hope for that, but I fear my hopes will be dashed. Oh well..

Can't blame you. Not sure the last time the "hot" tag appeared on this thread.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4th/5th storm won't hit the OV with winter. The slump will continue through at least the 5th. One of the worst winters of our lives. Still about a 40 day window to turn things around. Tick tock tick tock. Bustardi may be banned from future winter weather forecasting by the east coast establishment after this winter.............

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, HighTechEE said:

What's this white crap falling from the clouds accumulating about a 1/4" per hour this morning???

Not here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, HighTechEE said:

What's this white crap falling from the clouds accumulating about a 1/4" per hour this morning???

Was just going to say....if I didn't know the weather forecast, I'd swear a clipper was incoming. The solid cloud deck and just the overall  feel....with very light snow starting.    Of course we all know the reality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snowing most of the day and nothing to show for it, not even on grass or cars....January 2020....laughable. 2021 is gonna rock! LOL

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, buckeye said:

More salt in the wound:

If cincy is at .6" so far for the season, they are tied with DC.    :facepalm:     Not the kind of clique you want to be in when it comes to snowfall.

Cincy has had over 6" this season I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2020 at 11:15 AM, dilly84 said:

Over or under for 12" of snow at CMH this winter? Literally nothing to track, unless you enjoy rain. Horrible so far.

Wanted to bring this back and give Buckeye a second chance to reanswer lol.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, dilly84 said:

Wanted to bring this back and give Buckeye a second chance to reanswer lol.

Well if I remember right, the March '08 storm tripled our season snow total for that winter, soooo???  :D

  • Weenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.