• Member Statistics

    15,780
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Xenesthis
    Newest Member
    Xenesthis
    Joined
Steve

“Let’s Talk Winter”

Recommended Posts

11 hours ago, jbcmh81 said:

So with this latest storm being a bust and nothing on the horizon but more rain, this is looking like the first January in 76 years to have no measurable snowfall in Columbus.  It would be just the 3rd time in history to have occurred, both other times before 1950.  Dayton and Cincinnati also have had no measurable snowfall. Most of the winter forecasts have been Bastardi-level awful.  Just an epic fail all around.  

Columbus has had only a trace of snowfall so far this month. The previous Januaries that Columbus only had a trace of snowfall the entire month were 1944 and 1932 (both tied for the least snowiest January on record), however one of the two Februaries that followed those Januaries were better. February 1944 recorded 8.8 inches of snow while February 1932 only recorded 0.4 inches of snow.

Columbus' Highest Daily Maximum Snowfall During Those Februaries:
February 1944: 4.3 inches
February 1932: 0.4 inches

As of today, Dayton still only has a trace of snowfall this month. With January 1944 as the least snowiest on record without any snow at all (not even a trace), the previous Januaries that Dayton only had a trace of snowfall the entire month were in 1933 and 1932 (both tied for the 2nd least snowiest January on record). January 1944 that didn't have any snowfall, let alone a trace, was followed by February of that year recording a monthly snowfall total of 8 inches. February 1933 recorded 3.2 inches of snow while February 1932 recorded only 0.6 inches of snow.

Dayton's Highest Daily Maximum Snowfall During Those Februaries:
February 1944: 3 inches
February 1933: 1.5 inches
February 1932: 0.4 inches

As of today, Cincinnati literally has no snowfall so far this month, not even a trace. Never has Cincinnati had gone through a January without any snow since records began in 1872. The least snowiest January on record is only a trace back in 1989, tied with 1944, 1933, 1932, and 1923. February 1989 recorded 3 inches of snow while February 1944 recorded 5.8 inches of snow, February 1933 with 4.1 inches of snow, February 1932 with only a trace of snowfall, and February 1923 with 3.6 inches of snow.

Cincinnati's Highest Daily Maximum Snowfall During Those Februaries:
February 1989: 1 inch
February 1944: 2 inches
February 1933: Same as above
February 1932: Trace
February 1923: 2.7 inches

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spartman said:

Columbus has had only a trace of snowfall so far this month. The previous Januaries that Columbus only had a trace of snowfall the entire month were 1944 and 1932 (both tied for the least snowiest January on record), however one of the two Februaries that followed those Januaries were better. February 1944 recorded 8.8 inches of snow while February 1932 only recorded 0.4 inches of snow.

Columbus' Highest Daily Maximum Snowfall During Those Februaries:
February 1944: 4.3 inches
February 1932: 0.4 inches

As of today, Dayton still only has a trace of snowfall this month. With January 1944 as the least snowiest on record without any snow at all (not even a trace), the previous Januaries that Dayton only had a trace of snowfall the entire month were in 1933 and 1932 (both tied for the 2nd least snowiest January on record). January 1944 that didn't have any snowfall, let alone a trace, was followed by February of that year recording a monthly snowfall total of 8 inches. February 1933 recorded 3.2 inches of snow while February 1932 recorded only 0.6 inches of snow.

Dayton's Highest Daily Maximum Snowfall During Those Februaries:
February 1944: 3 inches
February 1933: 1.5 inches
February 1932: 0.4 inches

As of today, Cincinnati literally has no snowfall so far this month, not even a trace. Never has Cincinnati had gone through a January without any snow since records began in 1872. The least snowiest January on record is only a trace back in 1989, tied with 1944, 1933, 1932, and 1923. February 1989 recorded 3 inches of snow while February 1944 recorded 5.8 inches of snow, February 1933 with 4.1 inches of snow, February 1932 with only a trace of snowfall, and February 1923 with 3.6 inches of snow.

Cincinnati's Highest Daily Maximum Snowfall During Those Februaries:
February 1989: 1 inch
February 1944: 2 inches
February 1933: Same as above
February 1932: Trace
February 1923: 2.7 inches

Save for the winters of 1925-26, 1933-34, 1935-36, 1944-45 and 1947-48, the period of 1920-1949 is by far the worst for winter weather.  Of those 30 seasons, only the five mentioned had normal or above snowfall, and almost as few had below normal temperatures, at least in Columbus.  The average snowfall for the period was just 16.3", a full foot below what it's been in the most recent 30 seasons.  There were 11 seasons in a row with below normal snowfall (1936-37-1946-47), the longest such period on record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....Never has Cincinnati had gone through a January without any snow since records began in 1872.

If I lived in Cincy I'd be rooting for either a big dog or zilch....be a shame to ruin such an impressive futility record on a car topper.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, buckeye said:

Speaking of Cincy futility.....:yikes:

 

Snip-it_1579444721273.jpg

Snow equals views/memberships. 

Whether it's wxbell or all these other youtube forecasts, they know the viewer base. And if there's enough evidence to show above average snow, they're gonna push that.

Unfortunately, rarely will these folks show the evidence of why winter could be another dud.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Futility looks to continue into February.  If it's going to be this bad, might as well root for a top 5 most sh**tastic winter of all time. I can easily see February being warm and snowless too.  Ohio will probably have a cold spring that immediately turns to summer- so like every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worst winter I can remember!!! Just get on to our wet and cold spring so we can get to summer!! So tired of our winters here..

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Steve said:

Worst winter I can remember!!! Just get on to our wet and cold spring so we can get to summer!! So tired of our winters here..

Winter's not even 1/3 over yet...  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chuckster2012 said:

Winter's not even 1/3 over yet...  

Doesn’t  really matter....no snow and no cold in the foreseeable future!! We really only have 4 good weeks left...you can have the March snows which usually melts in two days..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chuckster2012 said:

Winter's not even 1/3 over yet...  

When the months of December and January are a dumpster fire....the winter WILL suck regardless of what percentage of met winter we are through.   It would take a FEB '10 combined with a March '08 to salvage the winter at this point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fluffy dusting down here this morning....should qualify as a trace...not sure if KCVG saw the same. LOL!

Pattern has to flip at some point...Down here, Feb is our snowiest month. I can take that without the brutal cold that Jan can produce....... I know the lack of snow is frustrating...but at least it's not the cold is too strong and the storm tracks are south-- that's the worst.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 8:03 PM, Spartman said:

We may very well be going into February still with single-digit snowfall totals so far this season. Still sitting at a snowfall total of 7 inches as of December 16, 2019.

So far this month, only a trace of snow was recorded just a week ago. 

Dayton's Top 10 Least Snowiest Januaries:
1. None - 1944
2. Trace - 2020 (currently, as of January 4th)
2 (Tied). - Trace - 1933
2 (Tied). - Trace - 1932
5. 0.1" - 1989
6. 0.2" - 1923
7. 0.4" - 1916
8. 0.7" - 1950
8 (Tied). - 0.7" - 1919
10. 0.9" - 1908
 

As of January 19th, a recording of 0.3 inches now places Dayton for the 6th least snowiest January on record.
Dayton's Top 10 Least Snowiest Januaries:
1. None - 1944
2. Trace - 1933
2 (Tied). - Trace - 1932
4. 0.1" - 1989
5. 0.2" - 1923
6. 0.3" - 2020 (currently, as of January 19th)

7. 0.4" - 1916
8. 0.7" - 1950
8 (Tied). - 0.7" - 1919
10. 0.9" - 1908

Also as of January 19th-20th, Cincinnati now ties for the least snowiest January on record with only trace amounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buckeye said:

Yet another indicator of this miserable winter,

Last year on this date, the "Let's Talk Winter" thread was 47 pages long :lol:

Gotta admit, I kinda miss talking to the Ohio gang about incoming ... :(

Yeah, this winter really laid an egg. I miss talking winter weather too as I always look forward to this time of year. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Being one who relishes in the failure of the pompous...I look forward to JB trying to spin his 150 percent of normal snowfall for us this winter. He has failed often in his winter forecasts...but this one is turning out to be epic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, buckeye said:

Yet another indicator of this miserable winter,

Last year on this date, the "Let's Talk Winter" thread was 47 pages long :lol:

Gotta admit, I kinda miss talking to the Ohio gang about incoming ... :(

And one more....when its January 22nd and the coldest temperature of the season to date occurred on November 13th.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woke up to a few of the models showing a thread the needle, perfectly timed, potential snow(s) in the 7-10 day.

Don't buy it folks!  It's a head fake.   Indices continue to suck as far as the eye can see.  In fact some are trending even worse then they were.  MJO travels from COD out into 6, raging +AO, +EPO, +NAO, -PNA.

***warning*** if JB talk offends you stop reading now.

JB is now sounding like one of us.  He showed some of the ens snow maps and actually said, "they've done this before and have been wrong all season, I don't trust them".   Shocking coming from him.  Looks like he's finally cried uncle to Old Man Winter :lol:

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, iluvsnow said:

And one more....when its January 22nd and the coldest temperature of the season to date occurred on November 13th.

wow.... can you imagine if that holds?   I actually hope it does, that would be one of the most insane stats I can recall.   I imagine that applies for a lot of locations in OH, IN, and possibly MI too.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And last winter wasn’t great snow wise...but we had some real cold periods!!

On 1/22/2020 at 8:01 AM, buckeye said:

Yet another indicator of this miserable winter,

Last year on this date, the "Let's Talk Winter" thread was 47 pages long :lol:

Gotta admit, I kinda miss talking to the Ohio gang about incoming ... :(

This has got to be In the top 10 worse winters... no cold no snow....:axe:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2020 at 2:31 PM, Steve said:

And last winter wasn’t great snow wise...but we had some real cold periods!!

This has got to be In the top 10 worse winters... no cold no snow....:axe:

Agree.  Even the torchy winters of past at least had the torching.   This has been never-ending stretches of damp, gray, cold....just not cold enough for snow.  Throw in the perpetual mirage of a 10day snowstorm on the models and it's more salt in the wound.   I feel bad for the businesses who hope, if not count on, snow removal work.   Just horrible all around.

#nightmare-winter    

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it to much to ask for one good snowstorm before our so called winter is over???:thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Steve said:

Is it to much to ask for one good snowstorm before our so called winter is over???:thumbsup:

February 6-7 is showing signs of potential on models except GFS. Just waiting to see how long before it craps the bed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, snowlover2 said:

February 6-7 is showing signs of potential on models except GFS. Just waiting to see how long before it craps the bed.

GDPS doesn't have this, either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

And waaay too warm. Hard to believe that's a mid-winter scenario :rolleyes:

that's crazy....in a NORMAL winter, beginning of February, that right there would be blizzard for Indy.

Today JB actually said if the MJO forecast verifies, (taking it out of the COD into the 4.5.6 tour schedule again), he was going to 'throw in the towel" on winter.   Exact words. I never heard him say such a thing.  Usually he goes down kicking and screaming and making things up to spin something, anything, out of nothing.   Even the great meterological illusionist himself, can't save the weenies this winter.

On this one he's right.   MJO and EPO still look horrible.  Our, (meaning I-70 crew), only hope is a perfectly timed sag in the boundary with a low moving up from the southern plains.   Everything would have to be perfect...timing...strength of low, etc.   Too strong and it goes to Chicago, too weak and it's a strung out rainer.    

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, buckeye said:

that's crazy....in a NORMAL winter, beginning of February, that right there would be blizzard for Indy.

Today JB actually said if the MJO forecast verifies, (taking it out of the COD into the 4.5.6 tour schedule again), he was going to 'throw in the towel" on winter.   Exact words. I never heard him say such a thing.  Usually he goes down kicking and screaming and making things up to spin something, anything, out of nothing.   Even the great meterological illusionist himself, can't save the weenies this winter.

On this one he's right.   MJO and EPO still look horrible.  Our, (meaning I-70 crew), only hope is a perfectly timed sag in the boundary with a low moving up from the southern plains.   Everything would have to be perfect...timing...strength of low, etc.   Too strong and it goes to Chicago, too weak and it's a strung out rainer.    

I have to admit it looks better for us than you, but it looks better for you than jbs i95 fanclub.  He always has an extreme east coast bias and I will admit, it's not looking as good for them, so I'm sure throwing in the towel refers to the East Coast. It is still strange to hear him admit that though lol.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, buckeye said:

that's crazy....in a NORMAL winter, beginning of February, that right there would be blizzard for Indy.

Today JB actually said if the MJO forecast verifies, (taking it out of the COD into the 4.5.6 tour schedule again), he was going to 'throw in the towel" on winter.   Exact words. I never heard him say such a thing.  Usually he goes down kicking and screaming and making things up to spin something, anything, out of nothing.   Even the great meterological illusionist himself, can't save the weenies this winter.

On this one he's right.   MJO and EPO still look horrible.  Our, (meaning I-70 crew), only hope is a perfectly timed sag in the boundary with a low moving up from the southern plains.   Everything would have to be perfect...timing...strength of low, etc.   Too strong and it goes to Chicago, too weak and it's a strung out rainer.    

Early on, iirc, his top analogs included 13-14, 14-15, & 18-19 (way back in August perhaps). His inner weenie got the better of him and he kept running with the coldest of that trio (for our region at least) when he'd have done best to hug an even warmer version of 18-19.  As autumn progressed he went bolder with the colder, dragging up 92-93 & 02-03 weenie winter analogs for his region especially. Personally I would've preferred that he was correct and it was a colder if not epic snowy DJF here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.