• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Early Winter 2019 Forecasts and Discussion

3 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Good morning @MAG5035 , congrats on the snow!

Do you think that the solid deform band with heavy precipitation in southern PA will changeover to snow this morning?

Good to see a lot of folks in here scored/are scoring some snow this morning. I only had a couple tenths worth of snowfall here as the deform band set up probably about 20-30miles east of here early this morning. NWS State College reported 1.5" at the office and I'll be finding out here a little later if my hunting area on Tussey southeast of town ended up with more. 

Next focus for possible winter weather appears to be next weekend. Models have been progging a deep low developing into the northern plains, while a strong Canadian high sets up to our north. A pretty classic ice event look. Sometimes this setup with the parent low so far west can yield front end snowfall too but there doesn't seem to be a deep cold push behind Wednesday's system to be very sure on that. GFS has been more insistent on this scenario but I saw the Euro had that look as well last night. Def something to keep an eye on this week. First week of December looks cold behind this potential system. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Festus said:

That's pretty accurate.  Just the VERY tips of the grass visible.  Definitely an over performer down my way.

That’s impressive, especially for an event that was mostly ignored by CTP & local TV forecasters. Last night, the 11pm news gave zero mention of any possibility of even wet snow for the LSV this morning. 

The winners today... high terrain of the Northern Catskills;

...Greene County...

East Jewett 7.5 300 PM 11/24 Trained Spotter

West Kill 6.8 527 PM 11/24 WeatherNet6

Around here about six hours of freezing rain and some sleet. Then finally 1.2" of snow this afternoon. Got pretty unlucky being between good bands or we would probably managed more, and you see the Catskills did. 

As I listen to my neighbor mowing his grass I cannot help but hope the EC soon switches tunes and shows some real winter weather in the long range.  I see some chilly temps but no real storm threats as the persistent weakness in the atmosphere continues to go back to our west allowing storms to track through the Midwest up into Canada or reform on the coast too far north for our liking.

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

As I listen to my neighbor mowing his grass I cannot help but hope the EC soon switches tunes and shows some real winter weather in the long range.  I see some chilly temps but no real storm threats as the persistent weakness in the atmosphere continues to go back to our west allowing storms to track through the Midwest up into Canada or reform on the coast too far north for our liking.

And as if the EC reads the forums it brings some here a front end thump this weekend.  More to the Northeast after this map. 

image.thumb.png.ea6049d8bc8471c3ae6112a0cabcdd36.png

59 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The overnight EPS & GEFS have increased their snow amounts for the storm this weekend. It’s a complicated set up, but hopefully we can get some front end snow & then get the coastal that develops to take a good track under us.

D70A0840-60B5-4DD2-B389-A204AD17383E.png

9B774324-4AAB-4148-A555-6B5685411CF4.png

These maps looking similar to last year where my area was in the edge of the good snows.   

12 minutes ago, Cashtown_Coop said:

These maps looking similar to last year where my area was in the edge of the good snows.   

if anyone will cash in.....it'l likely be you. You just have a knack of pulling off nice totals out there.

Plenty of time for this to change.  Just nice to see something on the radar to track no matter the result.

42 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I know they're trying to offer a quick visual overview of potential impact but I want to gouge my eyes out every time I see those graphics. 

We all learn differently and apparently that isn't the method that connects with me. :P

Me neither, but to the "Average Joe", I suppose it works.

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

Upcoming is the most important run of the EC in two seasons!  Is this going to be a deform and/or WAA weekend or will it end up being a WAAAHHH weekend for snow lovers?

Snow wise it was a tears and sobs Waaaahhhh.  A little icy at one point but a general cold rain storm.  UL low traverses the area too far north for the questionable conditions.