• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Early Winter 2019 Forecasts and Discussion

2 hours ago, canderson said:

That storm dropped 8.25" here and it was a horrible day trying to get home for so many. A normal 20 minute drive turned into 4 or 5 hours. 

Yes, my 25 minute drive turned into a 2 hour adventure back home. That storm turned out to be the most snow that we got in a single storm last season. The rest of the winter we had to nickel & dime our way to get to our 40 inch seasonal total in Harrisburg.

5 hours ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Should be some opportunities for most of us to get on the board in the next several weeks. All we can ask for at this point. 

Yes sir ! The pattern looks ripe for some winter weather opportunities starting next week.

The 18z Happy hour GFS delivered snow for next weekend! I would sign up for this & run !

BAD93B2D-90C9-4B12-98AD-D34DCEC8E29F.png

3E5D8C83-E163-44DF-95C9-DC3CBF5B1804.png

• Like 2

The way the pattern appears to be shaping up for the second half of the month is certainly favorable for a potential early season event(s). Considering the month we're talking about is still November, the progged establishment/stability of what is pretty much a winter-type pattern is notable. It's not a "one off" type thing where we briefly might line up things for a snow event and it's back to being 60ºF and above average in a few days. It's more of a seasonal temps at best (generally below average) with a fairly suppressed storm track that keeps the cold air close and provides realistic opportunities for early snows.

Going off some of today's runs (12 and 18z), GFS and Euro differ some in alignment in that D6-10 timeframe. The GFS seems more amplified with the western ridge and overall high height anomalies in the high latitudes (specifically Canada), providing a bit of a colder look and more suppression to the storm track. The Euro is flatter with the western ridge but more amplified with a Greenland ridge in the NAO realm. The flatter western ridge would imply a more zonal pattern that's a bit warmer (but still workable). I do think the more highly amped western ridge the GFS had provides the better potential. We'll see. 

• Like 1

The 12z Euro Control run today has a Thanksgiving coastal snow storm treat for us as we prepare for our turkey feast !

Just as @MAG5035 said earlier, The pattern looks good for the second half of November. We should have chances to track for winter weather beginning later this week & into Turkey Day week.

Oh yeah, here is the Euro Control Thanksgiving storm just to warm up our appetite for snow!

07A909F9-D023-41FD-99E9-34DA6BDFF035.png

99D6C230-59A2-4C22-81B6-0B5CB074B7E0.png

There are some light snow flurries right now in Marysville!

I was not expecting anything today. Maybe we can see a little more light snow tomorrow night?

The pattern looks to be very active later this week & Thanksgiving week. Hopefully we can time something just right & get our first legit snow event to track this season!

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

There are some light snow flurries right now in Marysville!

I was not expecting anything today. Maybe we can see a little more light snow tomorrow night?

The pattern looks to be very active later this week & Thanksgiving week. Hopefully we can time something just right & get our first legit snow event to track this season!

Ironically the wife and I were at Home Depot buying a snow blower as the flurries were dropping. I figured it was a sign :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Saturday bears some watching.  Air mass is probably not cold enough for a big one but the track is pretty decent.   If we can get that Miss. Valley low to minor out a bit earlier, allowing a coastal to form a little south and east of the GFS prog,  it could be a wintry day.

image.thumb.png.71513b3eed875550b034910b7c3e267e.png

Yes, I agree. It all depends on the track of the initial low & then how quickly the primary low transfers its energy to the coast. The models will probably waffle back & forth for another couple of days with the track. Hopefully we are in a good spot to get a little snow by Saturday night.

16 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Yes, I agree. It all depends on the track of the initial low & then how quickly the primary low transfers its energy to the coast. The models will probably waffle back & forth for another couple of days with the track. Hopefully we are in a good spot to get a little snow by Saturday night.

I just peeked at 12Z and not good for anything close to snow anymore...trends have been further to the west and north with the track before any redevelopment.  This may have been our last chance of any Pre Winter (Met Winter) area wide accumulating snows.  Actually looks toasty next week possibly pushing 60 (did not check EC).

30 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I just peeked at 12Z and not good for anything close to snow anymore...trends have been further to the west and north with the track before any redevelopment.  This may have been our last chance of any Pre Winter (Met Winter) area wide accumulating snows.  Actually looks toasty next week possibly pushing 60 (did not check EC).

Still rain for Saturday though?

3 hours ago, sauss06 said:

good day to stay in with a beer and fire and watch PSU with an upset :clap:

Man, that would be awesome...

Looks like an uneventful couple of weeks with near to perhaps slightly above normal temperatures and a couple of chances of some rain. No wintry weather in the foreseeable future  for the LSV at least.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Looks like an uneventful couple of weeks with near to perhaps slightly above normal temperatures and a couple of chances of some rain. No wintry weather in the foreseeable future  for the LSV at least.

If one looks at todays nooner GEFS, flow at 500 seems to be rather zonal, but there are a few times where there's thickness's would be close to fun if we can time it right.  Good is that no SER popping up and some blockiness showing up upstairs in the AO/NAO domains.  Verbatim it looks to erode towards the end of the run, but for now, we should just focus on 14 and under until some stability shows up and one feels confident enough to dab a toe into the LR and where things go.  Anthony Maisello things fun times for early Dec. and as I've followed him for some time, he's a guy that us weenies watch when he gets the sock off and dabs the toe in :).

• Like 1

TGIF all.

Well its a couple days later than my last post, and next week looks to have changed for the warmer for sure as the storm cuts way west and drags the cold front south with another cutter on its heels.  Looks like minimal/no chance of white prior to turning the calendar.  Once that happens, it looks like things get better for us as a pig ridge pops in the Yukon territories and a split flow seems to develop in the jet.  Pattern through the end of month has similarities to much of what we saw last year, but if one believes Ens guidance, then our wait SHOULD be over as we start Dec.  NAO/PNA/AO while less favorable to start the month, still appear to be favorable, and there is enough spread in the tellies to give pause to any slam dunk predictions.  So for now....the wait continues.

Nut

58 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

TGIF all.

Well its a couple days later than my last post, and next week looks to have changed for the warmer for sure as the storm cuts way west and drags the cold front south with another cutter on its heels.  Looks like minimal/no chance of white prior to turning the calendar.  Once that happens, it looks like things get better for us as a pig ridge pops in the Yukon territories and a split flow seems to develop in the jet.  Pattern through the end of month has similarities to much of what we saw last year, but if one believes Ens guidance, then our wait SHOULD be over as we start Dec.  NAO/PNA/AO while less favorable to start the month, still appear to be favorable, and there is enough spread in the tellies to give pause to any slam dunk predictions.  So for now....the wait continues.

Nut

so, you're saying we're having a white Christmas :lmao:

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2019 at 3:23 PM, Itstrainingtime said:

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

TGIF all.

Nut

Yep, that's what I've been thinking for some time now...we're going to need to be patient a while longer...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, pasnownut said:

TGIF all.

Nut

I agree that the first week of December looks very active with plenty of cold air & winter storm chances. The 18z GFS gets our winter storm chances going at the end of next weekend. It would be nice to get on the snow board early in December. I think that we will have plenty to track as we enjoy our Turkey this week.

• Like 1

Good Saturday morning everyone !

We might be able to flip to a little snow tomorrow morning according to this morning’s run of the 12k & 3k NAM.

JB had mentioned a few times this week that he thought that there was a chance of a flip to a little snow for places north of the MD line with this event. He thought there was a chance because of the storm track & there being just cold enough air to cause the changeover. 

Earlier this week, a few models showed us getting a little snow out of this event. Let’s see if any more models agree later today.

4F870C6B-AB25-4FA1-BD5F-9C3DD5D232AC.png

AB409B87-7F27-47AE-A708-036A11A00B03.png

7F265F9F-FAFC-4B9D-B8F5-0BB6CBB86CB0.png

24BD19C0-054A-4FE5-9B33-CA5A5147B29F.png

Weather World
@WeatherWorldPSU

A weather rarity this November in State College: This November (to date) is the 10th coldest on record. All other Novembers this cold or colder have had measurable snowfall by this point. But, just a trace this year. #ctpwx #pawx #psuwx #SnowlessInStateCollege
10:53 AM - 23 Nov 2019