Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2019 Weather Discussion

HoarfrostHubb

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Posted this in the banter thread....but more suitable in this one.....torch to the west of us:

2019100116_metars_alb.gif.f4245db4edfec8bec4c4dee45e4affb4.gif

I mentioned this earlier in this thread - this is a bust day ... Classic spring-time reunion, too.  This is precisely the kind of crap that happens in late Mays, where a warm front stops at the Hudson -...

Just now, CoastalWx said:

KORH has looked a little cool at times as well, although the Gladstone site doesn't show any real issues...even a little warm at times. 

ORH actually used to run a little warm...if you want to call it that (it was only by about a degree or less) but it sort of gradually got back to the zero line by 2017. That could be completely due to mesosites around it though when it's that small of a shift. I think ORH looks colder than it really is now because of sites like BED and BOS that have strayed warmer on MADIS.

We can blame the Maritime trough for this .. .and whether the NAO is neggie or not, it's definitely the handling downstream that is having a transitive effect of blocking the ridge from rolling in and toting the warm air in as liberally as even the Euro suggested it would by 00z tonight.  

It may yet...but ...that subtle resistance downwind is back-logging the trough just enough, which is causing the flow at mid levels to persist NW over us, ...and that fluid-mechanically is the ball-game for warm frontal intrusion. 

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

ORH actually used to run a little warm...if you want to call it that (it was only by about a degree or less) but it sort of gradually got back to the zero line by 2017. That could be completely due to mesosites around it though when it's that small of a shift. I think ORH looks colder than it really is now because of sites like BED and BOS that have strayed warmer on MADIS.

I've checked now and then with the mesos around yeah, I did not see anything noticeable. Not like KBOS for sure. One thing that has resonated with Logan (and I think this validates the drift) are the departures. The departures have all been an astonishingly consistent 1.5F to 2.0F AN compared to other first order sites and COOPs.  There is no reason and no explanation why the same airmasses should always be 1.5F to 2.0F warmer at Logan vs Blue Hill, ORH, or any other place. None.  I heard UHI thrown around too. KBOS has had UHI baked into climo for years on end. This isn't a place where sky scrapers rose from the marshed 20 yrs ago. So something is off here. 

Satellite presently has the diffused boundary look ...where the warm front is hard to identify and 'smeared' ...leaving the low-levels still in cool air while the warm air stops advecting but lays down over the shallow layer...  It may mix out -we'll have to see

https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=subregional-New_England-02-24-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I've checked now and then with the mesos around yeah, I did not see anything noticeable. Not like KBOS for sure. One thing that has resonated with Logan (and I think this validates the drift) are the departures. The departures have all been an astonishingly consistent 1.5F to 2.0F AN compared to other first order sites and COOPs.  There is no reason and no explanation why the same airmasses should always be 1.5F to 2.0F warmer at Logan vs Blue Hill, ORH, or any other place. None.  I heard UHI thrown around too. KBOS has had UHI baked into climo for years on end. This isn't a place where sky scrapers rose from the marshed 20 yrs ago. So something is off here. 

Yeah the BOS drift has been really obvious for months going back to winter...at this point, there is no "explaining it away". It's messed up. There's something up with the ASOS itself or (more likely IMHO) something up with the siting.

As you said, a month of a certain type of airmass could affect it, but the fact this has been consistent across all types of patterns and airmasses is very strong empirical evidence.