Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
October 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

8 hours ago, Gravity Wave said:

I think this has been discussed a lot on here before but isn't the general consensus that the sample size of winters with notable October-November snowfalls for the NYC area is too small to draw any meaningful conclusions about how such a winter will turn out?

7 hours ago, doncat said:

Yes sample size too small, plus there's no meteorological reason why getting an early snow would affect the following three months.

Agreed but weenies are gonna ween

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Agreed but weenies are gonna ween

It’s interesting how many early record snowstorms we have had since 2008. The snowfall seasons that followed were quite variable on Long Island. But NYC didn’t do as well. 

Early snow date.....NYC seasonal snow.....ISP seasonal snow

10-28-08....27.6...36.2

10-29-11....7.4.....4.7

11-08-12....26.1...46.9

11-16-18....20.5...12.8

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

It’s interesting how many early record snowstorms we have had since 2008. The snowfall seasons that followed were quite variable on Long Island. But NYC didn’t do as well. 

Early snow date.....NYC seasonal snow.....ISP seasonal snow

10-28-08....27.6...36.2

10-29-11....7.4.....4.7

11-08-12....26.1...46.9

11-16-18....20.5...12.8

FWIW those same seasons IMBY:

08-09: 37.5" 

11-12: 23.5"

12-13: 54.6"

18-19: 41"

• Thanks 1

On 10/28/2019 at 12:49 PM, jfklganyc said:

Really? 

You must like your house mighty cold up there in Mahwah then. I’m right across the river and we have had plenty of mornings in the 40s and 50s and that central heat is blasting when I wake up

Even this morning, when it was 50, it was on.

I prefer it to be cold in the house. It's much better for you to sleep that way anyway.

And my home is well insulated. Not only have we not turned on the heat yet, we normally sleep with at least one of the bedroom windows open and the fan on.

6 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

All the snowflakes on social media that were trying to get Halloween moved to Saturday because of a little rain today were ridiculous. The current batch should be out of here by early afternoon and then it should be great trick or treating weather until very late tonight after all the kids have gone to bed anyway.

I was happy our town didn't change anything-screws up weekend plans etc.  Agree, it will be mostly rain free especially east of the city.  Warm too-it will be comfortable out there lol

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Just buried in leaves here in wantagh. Several days without wind and an incoming wind storm will do that. Oaks aren’t there yet but maples are at peak here. If we get heavy rain later there’s going to be street flooding from clogged drains

my least favorite time here-we are past peak so it's brown leaves everywhere and mess on the lawn, driveway and storm drains

Hoping the winds tomorrow blow the last of the leaves out of my yard.  In regards to towns moving Halloween, which IMO is ridiculous unless is some sort of town sponsored Halloween event, what happens if some kid decides to go trick-or-treating anyway?  How do you even enforce that?  Why would you want to?  

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I was happy our town didn't change anything-screws up weekend plans etc.  Agree, it will be mostly rain free especially east of the city.  Warm too-it will be comfortable out there lol

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Hoping the winds tomorrow blow the last of the leaves out of my yard.  In regards to towns moving Halloween, which IMO is ridiculous unless is some sort of town sponsored Halloween event, what happens if some kid decides to go trick-or-treating anyway?  How do you even enforce that?  Why would you want to?  

The years we had the snowstorm and Sandy, they moved Halloween which was understandable. But moving it because of a little rain is beyond absurd and a reflection on where we are today as a society IMO.

For areas farther to our SW where they are expecting legit severe weather I'm not sure how you handle that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

it was interesting, that's what my town said-they said it's not a town sponsored event so it's on, but use discretion as needed. (we're all adults, if there was a situation (thunder/lightning heavy rains) where it didn't make sense to go out, we can judge that)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I think we will see a 50+ at jfk later. Great setup for the south shore to see strong winds 

Looks like 2 chances for 50+ gusts  along the South Shore tonight. The first will be right ahead of the front. Behind the front the mesos have a second  LLJ max in the CAA with rapid pressure rises. 

51751FE1-B55D-4287-98AA-846F723A8887.thumb.png.ccaee4a2e6f5480ec5d47a0294041786.png