• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2019/2020 Mountains and Foothills Fall/Winter Thread.

Tyler Penland

I'm looking at this weekend less optimistically than I normally would, I've got a gut feeling the potential NWFS on the backside of the front will not live up to the current hype, and that little Sunday system just doesn't excite me at all at this juncture. We will see what happens the next couple of days though, but secure everything you might worry about floating away, if you haven't already.

• Sad 1

ECMWF both 00/12Z stays friendly for mountain snow lovers. Weekend mountain snow event might not be getting much NWS or media attention since they have to deal with the heavy rain first (over a wider area). Day 5 is a crap shoot in the South, except in the Mountains where terrain can forgive tracking errors.

Vort max dives through the Plains and pivots Tenn Valley, not bad if you want a juicy clipper hybrid. 500/700 vorts are both at/north of I-40; so, lower elevations probably will be disappointed by a warm boundary layer. (Partial thicknesses are not as cold as total 1,000-500 mb). However temperature profiles and partial/critical thicknesses look great at elevation. It is a little early to drill down those charts, but again mountains offer a forecaster some cushion. 

12Z Euro finally got to Saturday. Its vort max is slightly south and surface Ts slightly colder mountains. Hope this turns out to be great news for ski areas, both the operators and the skiers / riders. Snow conditions should be good, in contrast to other cold following rain fronts. If 3-8 inches of new snow accompanies snow-making overnight, it'll be pretty nice skiing and riding this weekend. 

:ski:

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Sw NC weather said:

Now let’s just juice this system up a little like every other system has and will be looking at a dang good event.

Don't want it to amp up too much. We are threading the needle as is. I do like how the euro trended a little colder.  Hopefully we can score a 4-6 type of event out of this.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

Which layer? That’s 925 and 850 above. Surface is 34-36. Looks good to me! 

The wave is weakening as it gets closer to NC and the mountains shear it out. Lee side only gets .2 or less, need the heavier rates to mix the cold air to the surface