Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

1 minute ago, bobbutts said:

I wonder what the difference in billions of dollars is between the far left of the cone and the far right.

If that latest update verified, it would definitely be a nightmare - i.e., coastal southeast Florida appears to be in the relative center of the cone's extrapolated "central line". There are strips of barrier islands all up and down the coast and with it being low-lying and swampy anyway, any storm surge would probably travel quite a bit inland.  Just seeing the real-time storm surge video from Michael's landfall in the pan handle last year, was jaw-dropping.

4 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

If that latest update verified, it would definitely be a nightmare - i.e., coastal southeast Florida appears to be in the relative center of the cone's extrapolated "central line". There are strips of barrier islands all up and down the coast and with it being low-lying and swampy anyway, any storm surge would probably travel quite a bit inland.  Just seeing the real-time storm surge video from Michael's landfall in the pan handle last year, was jaw-dropping.

Yeah, I have family and have been vacationing on that barrier island just South of Palm Beach for the better part of my life.  Some of my earliest memories there were my dad showing me the remnants of A1A that had been washed out by the 1947 Ft. Lauderdale hurricane.  I feel like a storm like this could move enough sand and destroy enough buildings to move it again.

The other thing besides susceptibility to surge is just how ridiculously expensive many of the properties are.  Driving up or down A1A is just an endless display of money.  Here's a sample stretch I picked out from Zillow.

2019-09-01_210212.jpg

Looks like that 1947 storm took a very similar track through the Bahamas with no last second turn to save the coast.  Of course it was much weaker than Dorian.

1947_Fort_Lauderdale_hurricane_track.png

3 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

Yeah, I have family and have been vacationing on that barrier island just South of Palm Beach for the better part of my life.  Some of my earliest memories there were my dad showing me the remnants of A1A that had been washed out by the 1947 Ft. Lauderdale hurricane.  I feel like a storm like this could move enough sand and destroy enough buildings to move it again.

The other thing besides susceptibility to surge is just how ridiculously expensive many of the properties are.  Driving up or down A1A is just an endless display of money.  Here's a sample stretch I picked out from Zillow.

2019-09-01_210212.jpg

Looks like that 1947 storm took a very similar track through the Bahamas with no last second turn to save the coast.  Of course it was much weaker than Dorian.

1947_Fort_Lauderdale_hurricane_track.png

I knew my grandparents should of invested in a property on this road in 1960

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I wonder if Dorian would want to dance to the Wobble song.

Honestly I've been staring at the satellite and models ya know for hours on end without budging since yesterday morning. It's like a NHC shift but at home and i'm not even qualified lol. But I could qualify since I'm good at sitting at the edge of my bed tracking hurricanes for so long.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JakkelWx said:

Honestly I've been staring at the satellite and models ya know for hours on end without budging since yesterday morning. It's like a NHC shift but at home and i'm not even qualified lol. But I could qualify since I'm good at sitting at the edge of my bed tracking hurricanes for so long.

You could probably be featured live for an interview on TWC at this point.  “We’re going live to Goldsboro, MD where resident cane expert has been tracking from his bed for the past 24 hours.  He’s also been studying canes for the past 24 hours so about 23 hours more than most of us here at TWC.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

41 minutes ago, nj2va said:

You could probably be featured live for an interview on TWC at this point.  “We’re going live to Goldsboro, MD where resident cane expert has been tracking from his bed for the past 24 hours.  He’s also been studying canes for the past 24 hours so about 23 hours more than most of us here at TWC.”

Almost 14 hours straight of tracking dorian now. Safe to say I've beat my personal record of about 11 hours or so tracking Irene moving up the coast after I graduated high school.

Anybody know what the turning radius of a 280 mile wide, 70,000ft high, multi-billion ton, 185-220mph, spinning mass of water, water vapor [and some debris] might be? 
Anxious Floridians and EC'ers would like to know.

Pls reply: Box DUG, Cheyenne Mountain, CO. 

Not your grandmum's Buick at all.