Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Weather Discussion 2019

dryslot

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I have a ton of tent and different colored fuzzy caterpillars too. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah what's up with all the webs on the trees there. I noticed that this summer. 

This combined with all of the extra acorns all summer long only mean one thing...We are headed into uncharted territory with regard to cold and snow.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah what's up with all the webs on the trees there. I noticed that this summer. 

They've been annihilating my fruit trees. I saved the pear trees before they got too many fruits by hitting them with a high pressure wash, but I was a little late with the cherry trees. I didn't even bother with the crabapple and plum. The plum tree is like 80% tented up right now. They're even tenting in the oaks. I have some kind of weird caterpillar eating up my birch leaves as well....never seen them before. They're yellowish black and kinda curl up like an inch worm on the leaves....probably about an inch long.

edit...looks like sawfly caterpillars

image.png

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

They've been annihilating my fruit trees. I saved the pear trees before they got too many fruits by hitting them with a high pressure wash, but I was a little late with the cherry trees. I didn't even bother with the crabapple and plum. The plum tree is like 80% tented up right now. They're even tenting in the oaks. I have some kind of weird caterpillar eating up my birch leaves as well....never seen them before. They're yellowish black and kinda curl up like an inch worm on the leaves....probably about an inch long.

image.png

Crab apple is a nuisance anyways.

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

image.png

The Day of the Triffids In miniature. No bird or other insect predators?  Perhaps they have a defense mechanism. As always ..... 

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

image.png

Congrats they moved east and north. Very little mosquito activity here too. Lots of garden slugs though

18 minutes ago, dendrite said:

image.png

Kill 'em all. I'm glad whatever fungus is around killed off many of the tent worms we have in the spring. I did used to treat the oaks with a naturally occurring bacteria that worked well. 

Actually wow

*Thou  looking at bouy 41001 ( they have RARE SW large swell (150 miles east of hatteras) if that propagates NNE SE SNE could see very large swells arriving Friday day on S facing beaches 

ita been over 10 feet @12 seconds last 6 hours hmmm

if bouy 44066 starts pinging SSW swell in next 20 hours it’s gonna be big Fri afternoon on S facing spots 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Probably fall webworm, aka uglynest caterpillar.  Looks messy, has little/no effect on the trees as the leaves being eaten have done nearly all their work already.

This is the season when the yellowjackets in particular get both dumb and aggressive.  Maybe they sense that the end is near and want to enjoy their last meals, so they become less wary (easier to swat) but more pestiferous than ever.

No 80s last month, waiting for 1st 70s this month.  (Will undoubtedly come - 15 of 21 Septembers here have reached the 80s and the lowest monthly max is 76.)