Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

Just now, Bostonseminole said:

what's your take for severe north of the pike? looks marginal to me. but no expert.. CT looks much better.

I agree that it looks marginal...may be enough elevated CAPE though that you could get a decent storm. But yeah...south of the Pike looks solid. Also looks to me like storm motion may be right along the boundary which would prmote

1) training cells perhaps

2) enhanced SRH 

6 minutes ago, Bostonseminole said:

Has it? Euro is showing it also.. it's not the ice age coming but certainly some BN temps for a bit.

Point being ...it's not verified too well.. 

some... but not well - 

I suspect it's just tending toward too much amplitude in the later mid ranges in general - kind of like, as the model's physics get more coupled with finer meshed.. it seems to be slowly converging on a similar error bias as the Euro... Which definitely is too deep with troughs in the D7-10 range over Ontario... It just did it over the last three days...Go back and compare the Euro from three days ago there, and it's some 10 DM shallower as of last night's 00z rendition... And I suspect it flattens even more... 

Anyway - cheers.  we'll see

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You know why. Same elevation sees similar lows .

BgvMNvm.png

How about the similar elevation hill top in Stafford at 58°:

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=A3484&num=72&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

They have it listed 800' but it's over 950' and a hill top, just like your place.

Then there's that site in Union over 1K at 56°:

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCTUNION5

Both are closer and similar environments.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

How about the similar elevation hill top in Stafford at 58°:

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/timeseries.php?sid=A3484&num=72&banner=gmap&raw=0&w=325

They have it listed 800' but it's over 950' and a hill top, just like your place.

Then there's that site in Union over 1K at 56°:

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCTUNION5

Both are closer and similar environments.

Must not be windy there. Winds were blowing 15mph at 4:30 during run 

45 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Must not be windy there. Winds were blowing 15mph at 4:30 during run 

15MPH?  The STEM was reporting a 5MPH gust at that time.  Where were you that there were 15MPH winds?  Gusts to 25?

Even with localized wind in the Tolland area, why would all those stations also be in the 50s this morning?  I'm just wondering why you wouldn't want to go with two local stations that are better analogs than one further away and not even remotely close to your surroundings.

Winds5a.png

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Wait...we're using ORH in Auggie?

It’s hilarious how he tiptoes through claims on here lol. 

Summer climate is made up of:

1) Daytime highs at BDL

2) Overnight lows at ORH

3) Dew points over mulch on Davis

We think that yields a climate similar to Washington DC area?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Based on what Mr Wiz

During our upcoming below-average pattern, we're going to see some pretty strong ridging develop across the western U.S. which is going to be rather persistent and this is going to yield some decent warmth at 850mb. There seems to be strong consensus (with teleconnection support) that we will see ridging build across much of the CONUS moving towards the end of the month into September. Perhaps not Sonoran heat release type stuff, but much of that warmer air would propagate and advect into our area and the flow would keep this constant. Not only should it be quite warm but I think we'll also be dealing with high humidity too.  

Sept has a better chance of being +3 than it does being -3 in deference to the parlance, and most importantly 'circumstances,' of our times. 

That's why it will be +3 ... call that a 'gut feeling'.  Call that just acknowledging the former, which is more than mere gut - it's awareness of where the world is... That's why - 

Can it be -3... sure...  can it be -1 ...absolutely... but along the curve of probabilities... these are less than their mirrored values... 

There may be climate-operational hybrid tools that specifically do those weekly this and that but ...I've come to find those are not more or less reliable than the type of philosophy used above - at least from what I've seen. 

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It’s hilarious how he tiptoes through claims on here lol. 

Summer climate is made up of:

1) Daytime highs at BDL

2) Overnight lows at ORH

3) Dew points over mulch on Davis

We think that yields a climate similar to Washington DC area?

He'll also accept Dp's at swampy coastal stations.  Even with all the goal posts moving, we are still no where close to a DC climate.

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Sept has a better chance of being +3 than it does being -3 in deference to the parlance, and most importantly 'circumstances,' of our times. 

That's why it will be +3 ... call that a 'gut feeling'.  Call that just acknowledging the former, which is more than mere gut - it's awareness of where the world is... That's why - 

Can it be -3... sure...  can it be -1 ...absolutely... but along the curve of probabilities... these are less than there mirrors... 

There may be climate-operational hybrid tools that specifically do those weekly this and that but ...I've come to find those are not more or less reliable than the type of philosophy used above - at least from what I've seen. 

Honestly...that is a pretty good reason really.  Since the AMO flip in the mid-90's the theme has been AN...why go against that? I know people like to rub on Kevin b/c he calls for AN when we flip to the warm season and then BN when we flip to cold...but in reality since 95...probably every single JJA has ended up AN. I also think the past 10-years or so we've feared several DJF's that may have ended up BN...I recall seeing some graphics that over the past decade during the NH winter there is a sliver of NB right over New England. 

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

During our upcoming below-average pattern, we're going to see some pretty strong ridging develop across the western U.S. which is going to be rather persistent and this is going to yield some decent warmth at 850mb. There seems to be strong consensus (with teleconnection support) that we will see ridging build across much of the CONUS moving towards the end of the month into September. Perhaps not Sonoran heat release type stuff, but much of that warmer air would propagate and advect into our area and the flow would keep this constant. Not only should it be quite warm but I think we'll also be dealing with high humidity too.  

Thx for your reasoning 

ill take slight AN but w low dews

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

15MPH?  The STEM was reporting a 5MPH gust at that time.  Where were you that there were 15MPH winds?  Gusts to 25?

Even with localized wind in the Tolland area, why would all those stations also be in the 50s this morning?  I'm just wondering why you wouldn't want to go with two local stations that are better analogs than one further away and not even remotely close to your surroundings.

Winds5a.png

Because my temps are often different . Warmer on radiator nights, colder in CAA. Why would I go with their temps ? Why don’t you use Jeff Aborns obs?

36 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Honestly...that is a pretty good reason really.  Since the AMO flip in the mid-90's the theme has been AN...why go against that? I know people like to rub on Kevin b/c he calls for AN when we flip to the warm season and then BN when we flip to cold...but in reality since 95...probably every single JJA has ended up AN. I also think the past 10-years or so we've feared several DJF's that may have ended up BN...I recall seeing some graphics that over the past decade during the NH winter there is a sliver of NB right over New England. 

Plus ... these 'synergy' effects ... where the results tends to be more pronounced than the sum of the parts...  It's like 'given any excuse' a +1 supporting pattern is 1.4 abv...and so on.. and if it's a +2 pattern boom, 3.3 ... it tends to give back profit plus interest...  

It goes the other way too... it's just that we don't have the underpinning 'steroid' for cold... We have it for warmth ... It's abstract and easy to deny - out of all empirical evidences that people have the gull to try, that one is admittedly the easiest...   Gestalt is difficult at best and more likely impossible to define using physical equations... but, when in GW... warm patterns over produce warmth. In GC ... cool patterns over perform cold.   Maybe it's just something silly like ...human finger prints on physical processes having a way of biasing based on what they are observing... Build and equation...doesn't "seem" to match the heat(cold)...so we unconsciously add(detract) decimals... Just being metaphoric to describe ...but who knows.   

If the pattern "looks like +1"  ...we will verify +2 ... I'd put 100$ on that - 

14 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Plus 3 in september can still be comfortable!! Its coming soon enough.. 

Warm Septembers are awesome, it might be my favorite beach month because all the tourists are gone, kids back in school, etc. 

And warm in September normally doesn't mean torrid summer heat plus a much weaker sun angle.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Because my temps are often different . Warmer on radiator nights, colder in CAA. Why would I go with their temps ? Why don’t you use Jeff Aborns obs?

That's not what we're talking about.  You said your temp didn't drop into the 50s last night because you had 15 MPH winds this morning.  Also, you asked what the temp was at ORH as if that was a better analog than 2 stations at a similar elevation and one being a hill top, just like you.