Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2019 Discussion

Torch Tiger

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Right or wrong at least I make forecasts and throw myself out there either for ridicule or a good job. Most of the posters tonight patting each other’s backs rip and read model data and assume that’s how it will work out 

Dews on Monday for ORH/BDL.... above 65F or below during the time when people are awake and outdoors?

I'll take the under.  Say 55-60F dews at ORH/BDL on Monday when folks are out and about.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Because you made a solid forecast. Right or wrong . This morning. Nothing more nothing less. I’m +2.5 to +3.5 SNE this month. I forecast that . Right or wrong . It’s there 

I’m speaking more for SNE. September after Labor Day doesn’t look too torchy. Might be AN, but when I see high pressure overhead that time of year, it’s usually nice. Labor Day weekend has front nearby. I could see close to COC or a couple of days of dews. Tough to say exactly. 

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Right or wrong at least I make forecasts and throw myself out there either for ridicule or a good job. Most of the posters tonight patting each other’s backs rip and read model data and assume that’s how it will work out 

I made July and Aug calls, it’s there. I was right in July for NNE but wrong in SNE. I originally had the highest monthly departures for Aug but that looks to be wrong as well even after the past couple days, nothing like July though. We may end up close to normal or a shade above. It’s all fun and games and I call it how my weenie feels it. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Let’s choose HFD. Brainard. 3 or more days Monday thru Saturday of dews 65 or above 

I could see that during the second half of next week.  I'd go 2-3 days as Thur/Fri/Sat probably gets 65F as it looks now. 

Mon/Tue definitely take under 65F during the afternoon, likely Wednesday too.  But late week I wouldn't as the flow goes back southerly/southwesterly. 

11 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

By the way PF I kid about the clouds. But, it’s been weird how the gradient of heat continues up there. 

Yeah, and Tamarack not hitting 80F yet in August still blows my mind from earlier.

The warm fronts just haven't been able to penetrate far enough north and then stay there for us to bake I guess.  Many days there have been big dew point gradients too across CNE.  Some summers though it seems like it's just a SW flow furnace right through Montreal and Quebec...like the max 850s almost go up and above New England when there's a monster eastern ridge. 

Even going back to this winter, it's had this gradient nearby where it seems any ridging that tries to establish itself just gets beaten down from the north.

Last summer it seemed like BTV popped 90-95 like candy, but like Brian and I were talking about, for that site to only be +1.5 in August it certainly hasn’t been hot.

Edit:  Last August was +5.7 at BTV :lol:.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

70s were relatively cold for BTV compared to MPV, but check out that stepwise jump in the 2010s.

image.png

Looks like an initial step up around 1995 which retreated briefly in the mid-2000s and then a monster step-increase after 2010...I think the next set of normals will help but it really won't be totally gone until the 2011-2040 normals come out. 

This matches from what I recall with MADIS too...MADIS really started hating BTV in the 2010s after not being bad in the 2000s. 

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like an initial step up around 1995 which retreated briefly in the mid-2000s and then a monster step-increase after 2010...I think the next set of normals will help but it really won't be totally gone until the 2011-2040 normals come out. 

This matches from what I recall with MADIS too...MADIS really started hating BTV in the 2010s after not being bad in the 2000s. 

95 is probably around the time the ASOS took over too. A lot of sites saw changes around then. MHT is another.

We wet
625CBDFB-F377-4DC3-9198-768A65958C5C.thumb.jpeg.68445f1935ae61b41c8898f234864722.jpeg
Interesting. We got 0.15" early this morning then 0.13" in the tshower. I thought we would have picked up more since that cell moved right over out house
Meanwhile a jet just flew over at 3000' heading to Lew. When I looked on flight radar it originated out of Arizona. I didn't think they had non stops for domestic between those cities. It was elite airways out of bullhead City

9 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Interesting. We got 0.15" early this morning then 0.13" in the tshower. I thought we would have picked up more since that cell moved right over out house
Meanwhile a jet just flew over at 3000' heading to Lew. When I looked on flight radar it originated out of Arizona. I didn't think they had non stops for domestic between those cities. It was elite airways out of bullhead City

I may of read in the local paper a while ago that there was going to be flight service from somebody but the biggest problem is the airport is limited to the size plane that can land there.