Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
July pattern(s) and discussion

Typhoon Tip

18 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Ryan updated the graphic for the 5 o'clock news. It now shows 2019 alone in first place at 78.0 which I think he said was the warmest month ever in 114 years of record keeping in the Hartford area.

My only problem with the BDL number is that historically HFD has averaged warmer Julys than them in the ASOS era. Now, low and behold, we have BDL pulling off a warmer month than them. Maybe it's legit, but things that make you go hmmm...

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

Why are we using 70 as a threshold to define humidity? 70 and above is oppressive and usually 65 is the threshold for getting into moderate levels of humidity. 

Also, using “hours over 70” doesn’t really seem like a valid method of trying to come up with a conclusion on this

Well, that was the criteria used last year.  Perhaps the flavor of the month has changed?  I only used that because that is what Kevin used last year and I'm assuming (although that is very dangerous when it comes to his posts) that  is what he meant by "dewiest".  I like the approach that Brian had on average Dp and last year was not the top year.

31 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

ACATT Haven’t had any true COC k since mid June , so manufacture it to be 88/62 . Nice n comfy 

Definitely  was a. HOT July.. but also had some really nice days mixed in.. couple days we got in the low 50's for lows and one day that I can think.of in the upper 40's

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

ACATT Haven’t had any true COC k since mid June , so manufacture it to be 88/62 . Nice n comfy 

LOL...talk about delusional, we've had several great days this month alone:

7/2 79/60

7/3 75/60

7/8 79/52

7/9 81/54

7/25 81/53

These were all precip free here.  Perhaps They weren't as nice in Tolland?

• Like 2

Just now, ineedsnow said:

Definitely  was a. HOT July.. but also had some really nice days mixed in.. couple days we got in the low 50's for lows and one day that I can think.of in the upper 40's

Exactly.  They miss every time someone says it was hot but mentions one of the nice days as if they didn't exist.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, MetHerb said:

LOL...talk about delusional, we've had several great days this month alone:

7/2 79/60

7/3 75/60

7/8 79/52

7/9 81/54

7/25 81/53

These were all precip free here.  Perhaps They weren't as nice in Tolland?

By the ACATT definition of COC k it’s 70-75 with blue skies and dews 40’s or lower . So which day there qualifies? I don’t mean the goalpost shifts. I mean which day there fits this crazed group of wx folks definition?

1 hour ago, snowman21 said:

Ryan updated the graphic for the 5 o'clock news. It now shows 2019 alone in first place at 78.0 which I think he said was the warmest month ever in 114 years of record keeping in the Hartford area.

I expected that and it will probably go up no doubt.  It was just the misreading of tied numbers and claiming that one was higher than another.

I know he's saying "Hartford Area" but that combines data from HFD and another stations so it's not one continuous record in one spot for 114 years.  Who knows what BDL was reading prior to 1949 so it's just warmer than Brainard Field and other stations July records.

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

CT has been roasting but NW MA has had some pretty nice warm and dry days with cool nights.  It's 78F and bit humid but aren't these the summer nights we cherish?

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

By the ACATT definition of COC k it’s 70-75 with blue skies and dews 40’s or lower . So which day there qualifies? I don’t mean the goalpost shifts. I mean which day there fits this crazed group of wx folks definition?

In July?   Wtf. Seriously. 

You won’t be getting 40F dews in July in New England. CoC is just pleasant weather.  Those dates listed plus others have been pleasant here. 

This fantasy of it always being HHH is really bizarre.  I get that you enjoy those conditions and congrats for your efforts in scoring those, but be real.  

This has been a warm and pleasant month overall.  Some dews.  Some donts.  2 torch days (+10s). 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

:rolleyes:

If you think that a January day with a high in 70s and Dp in the 40s is CoC for winter sports resorts, I don't know what to tell you.  If that is your crazed definition then I'll add 6/23 with a high of 73 and low of 48.  It's after mid-June which alone makes your statement false.  I don't have Dp data for the other days because I don't record that in my weather record.  I only make note of it if it's exceptional which was only 2 days this month. 7/8 is a close second by that definition as I think the Dp was in the 40s at some point but the max temp exceeds 75 which is YOUR crazed definition.

Having said that, I stand by my prior statements that CoC varies by season and location.  It is the ideal weather for that place and time and any of the days I gave you would fit that definition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

In July?   Wtf. Seriously. 

You won’t be getting 40F dews in July in New England. CoC is just pleasant weather.  Those dates listed plus others have been pleasant here. 

This fantasy of it always being HHH is really bizarre.  I get that you enjoy those conditions and congrats for your efforts in scoring those, but be real.  

This has been a warm and pleasant month overall.  Some dews.  Some donts.  2 torch days (+10s). 

>

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

:rolleyes:

If you think that a January day with a high in 70s and Dp in the 40s is CoC for winter sports resorts, I don't know what to tell you.  If that is your crazed definition then I'll add 6/23 with a high of 73 and low of 48.  It's after mid-June which alone makes your statement false.  I don't have Dp data for the other days because I don't record that in my weather record.  I only make note of it if it's exceptional which was only 2 days this month. 7/8 is a close second by that definition as I think the Dp was in the 40s at some point but the max temp exceeds 75 which is YOUR crazed definition.

Having said that, I stand by my prior statements that CoC varies by season and location.  It is the ideal weather for that place and time and any of the days I gave you would fit that definition.

2 great post!

Definition of COC changes for sure based on what we are used to.  In March, a sunny  day of 50F is gorgeous and has college coeds walking sundresses past Tippy.

In May, 70/40 is perfect.  July it could be 82/58 that feels amazing.  By September it’s back to 70s/40s or even 30s.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dendrite said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=20fe2b78d4e66dff

Can you run 40 dews for BTV?  Curious what that historical record looks like.  Are the dews increasing there at the same rate as the temps?

We had 40s dews on at least 3 days this July up at MVL.  I can safely say to radiate to 43F in July, there are some 40s dews around the previous afternoon.

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

idt July is updated for 2019 yet.

Thanks.  Looks much lower (total hours) than CON, especially in the 1960-1980... though that time frame looked to contain a lot of Chamber summers at both locations.

Not hard to imagine why CON has more low dew periods than BTV.  Locally here at MVL we would spend significantly more time with dews in the 40s than BTV and the majority of that difference would come overnight.  During the mid-afternoon, both MVL and BTV can see dews in the 40s, but MVL will radiate down to that level and hold there for a while, racking up those hours while BTV sees 60/52 overnight with dew point pooling on the climo southerly flow during summer.

There's also a giant lake that's 7-miles wide by Burlington, taking up a large part of the valley, that probably doesn't help dry it out in the summer.

3 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

generally, imo, 80 high/55-60ish dew or lower for July is COC k.