Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The Mystical Month of February--Long Range Discussion

Ji

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Looking across the gefs and eps ensembles there is a theme. Some members key on that little weak front runner day 6 and develop that. Those runs either have no day 7/8 storm or it goes north of us. The members that keep that wave weak look good day 7/8. Those still bullseye NW of 95 but most give DC decent snow and the heavy isn’t far NW. similar to the op although the op was a outlier in terms of Precip. Most are a more modest storm.  Both 6z gefs and 0z eps shifted south slightly so another shift or two and DC could be in even better shape. 

I had noticed that as well with the front runner. Didn't look to hard into it but my general thoughts were that a stronger front runner was screwing with the developing ridging in front the trough moving in. Weaker system was allowing better ridging to develop so as to get a deeper and better aligned trough

57 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I’m “open minded” about the transition period, maybe the euro is right, but I’m confident given the mjo and soi that things should shift towards an eastern trough alignment by the 20th.

I went through yourt posts psu, can you tell me is the SOI still forecasted in a few days to dive into the negatives like it was 4 days ago. If memory serves me correct that process should start soon. Thanks 

12 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

I had noticed that as well with the front runner. Didn't look to hard into it but my general thoughts were that a stronger front runner was screwing with the developing ridging in front the trough moving in. Weaker system was allowing better ridging to develop so as to get a deeper and better aligned trough

You know the guidance wasn’t wrong about the blocking for this week. It looks great up there right now it’s just being offset by the pac.  But it does force a pac wave under it which becomes the 50/50 that sets up the day 7 threat. By then the block breaks down which could open the door to a change to rain although maybe not.  By the time the Jan 1996 storm hit the NAO block was gone but the 50/50 it created did the work. That also had an ideal pna though.  A better example here might be pd2 which worked with only a 50/50 and no blocking at all and a mediocre PAC at best.

B9D26EB7-C774-4E38-A99A-E5FDE8D27FEC.gif.5bf57ce77fe6ed78f1bc1ef9f90d456a.gif

Of course I’ve often said that storm was lucky wrt timing and all plus the pna looks worse now so I’m not saying this is a good analog, just that we can work with just a good 50/50. 

As far as the day 15 look oddly the gefs has now come around to what a phase 8/1 mjo -soi pattern should look like while the eps looks like a weird convoluted mess. The eps has been just as wrong day 15 all winter so whatever. 

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

Looking over the extended on the EPS beyond our possible day 7-8 storm and we are mostly seeing improvements there as well. The only issue is that the EPS is starting to lose the N-Atlantic. We are seeing a continuing decay of blocking over Greenland. This is resulting in a migration of the lower pressures we were initially seeing in the general 50/50 region now towards the east of Greenland. Without that 50/50 the N-Atlantic is pretty much lost for us with such weak blocking. But before some start preaching Doom and Gloom there are two things to consider. First, the models are notorious for mishandling the NAO domain so this could just be a matter of the models once again picking up on the blocking as we near in time. Second, with the continuing improvements we are seeing in the PAC and the West there is a good chance we will not need it anyway.

And as far as what we are seeing in the west are positive trends. We are seeing the EPS moving away from the idea of a strong SW trough as it is weakening it with a shallower drop thus resulting in weaker heights in the east. The EPO is also looking generally more inclined to the possibility of a northern based +PNA towards the end of it's run. Overall the general look/flow looks more conducive for seeing the boundary shifted south from previous runs. Overall the overnight EPS run was a win in my book.

Good post! Was about to type something similar but you are on top of things. Fun times ahead for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

You know the guidance wasn’t wrong about the blocking for this week. It looks great up there right now it’s just being offset by the pac.  But it does force a pac wave under it which becomes the 50/50 that sets up the day 7 threat. By then the block breaks down which could open the door to a change to rain although maybe not.  By the time the Jan 1996 storm hit the NAO block was gone but the 50/50 it created did the work. That also had an ideal pna though.  A better example here might be pd2 which worked with only a 50/50 and no blocking at all and a mediocre PAC at best.

Of course I’ve often said that storm was lucky wrt timing and all plus the pna looks worse now so I’m not saying this is a good analog, just that we can work with just a good 50/50. 

As far as the day 15 look oddly the gefs has now come around to what a phase 8/1 mjo -soi pattern should look like while the eps looks like a weird convoluted mess. The eps has been just as wrong day 15 all winter so whatever. 

This is pretty much why I have been arguing that we don't need to see great blocking we just need to see sufficient enough blocking to slow down and/or trap a 50/50. Let the 50/50 do the dirty work. Snow is snow after all no matter how we get it.

• Like 1

Ah, winter 1994.

Growing up in central PA, the 1993 blizzard set back high school graduations by a week.  They changed things going forward that if too many snow days forced the extension of the school year that the seniors would still graduate on time.  Here comes 1994, I was a senior.  And we graduated on time despite the school year getting extended.

3 minutes ago, Ji said:

Lool001129a959772f6eea633d604c37d740.jpg

Hmmmm.... Feb 2010 thrown into the mix? Isn't it interesting that he always finds a way to get the big dogs into the conversation? In this case it may have some merit but when he continual throws out these big years in all his discussions and by quite often loose correlations to boot, is it any wonder we all think 'The boy who cried wolf' when ever he speaks?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ji said:

Lool001129a959772f6eea633d604c37d740.jpg

If  JB is correct with the dive in the SOI, and I think he is to a certain degree,  then as @showmethesnow stated the Pac could carry the show. BUT, you have to wonder if or when, we see a several day period where the models bring back a -NAO,  simply due to the fact we are getting a favorable MJO phase 8.

And this time the progression through the good phases is slow, versus the last time wherewe hit phase 8 and then bang, wemoved to phase 5 quickly.

If there was ever a time or a reason to get the good look it would be soon.  

@donsutherland1 stated this morning the dismal performance of the Weeklies ( week 3 focused ) may have to do with the lack of coupling with the Nino. 

I would think with improvements in the Pac,  the models can be taken a little more seriously this go around. 

40 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

This is pretty much why I have been arguing that we don't need to see great blocking we just need to see sufficient enough blocking to slow down and/or trap a 50/50. Let the 50/50 do the dirty work. Snow is snow after all no matter how we get it.

Agree but I’m not sure without decent blocking we will get a stable 50/50. The next 3 days we have a pretty good NAO block. That sets up the 50/50. After that the 50/50 becomes ambiguous and not ideally located after blocking breaks down completely. 

Interesting seems the way you get the effects onto the streams is just as important 

If more momentum is partitioned into northern stream, that would significantly reduce any NAO chances and likely bring more widespread warmth. Models are of course struggling here.

1 hour ago, frd said:

I went through yourt posts psu, can you tell me is the SOI still forecasted in a few days to dive into the negatives like it was 4 days ago. If memory serves me correct that process should start soon. Thanks 

Looking at mslp anomalies on the eps and gefs the soi looks to go solidly negative by day 6 then really tank by day 10 through 15. 

1 hour ago, showmethesnow said:

I have to admire your stamina to continue to pick apart the long range. At this point I am pretty much done with delving deep into extendeds. With how rough the models have been it has been pretty pointless in my mind and I no longer have the energy for it. I will continue look at the 500 means and some other maps but as far as picking apart each ensemble member I am pretty much beyond that. 

Just said the same thing in my CTP forum.  The ol ticker just cant handle it.  fwiw, I typically only look at 500's for LR speculation.  Its just an easy way to get a rough guess at where things are headed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frd said:

I think the - 5 is in trouble  

Can’t blast him too hard for the forecast. It wasn’t that out of line with my own or most others. He somehow still went more cold in a year everyone was going cold but that’s JB. But his spin and stubbornness and unwillingness to adjust on the fly are inexcusable. 

Ironically buckeye pointed out that some of the crap people take in here for posting negative stuff might be why he simply always spins positive snow weenie stuff. Even if your right no one is happy with you for bursting their bubble. 

3 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

So did I just see us punt to 20 FEB?

Looks like this winter might be over. Never really started for those north of DC region. Let's go ahead and warm up, but I'm sure "winter" will finally arrive in the form of 40s and rain in late March through June. Yippie!!

So you ignored all the posts about the day 7 threat?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, frd said:

If  JB is correct with the dive in the SOI, and I think he is to a certain degree,  then as @showmethesnow stated the Pac could carry the show. BUT, you have to wonder if or when, we see a several day period where the models bring back a -NAO,  simply due to the fact we are getting a favorable MJO phase 8.

And this time the progression through the good phases is slow, versus the last time wherewe hit phase 8 and then bang, wemoved to phase 5 quickly.

@donsutherland1 stated this morning the dismal performance of the Weeklies ( week 3 focused ) may have to do with the lack of coupling with the Nino. 

I would think with improvements in the Pac,  the models can be taken a little more seriously this go around. 

yup.  Pac/mjo have shown they run the show, so IF we can get the PAC to cooperate on the backside of peak climo, we can still luck our way into opps even if the NAO never shows up to the party.  Thats why I've been the skeptic of all the NAO jibber jabber.  We can find other ways, and in the last few years, we've seen that.  MJO into 8 would be fantastic especially if we can get the PNA into the + column and keep it there.

42 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Hmmmm.... Feb 2010 thrown into the mix? Isn't it interesting that he always finds a way to get the big dogs into the conversation? In this case it may have some merit but when he continual throws out these big years in all his discussions and by quite often loose correlations to boot, is it any wonder we all think 'The boy who cried wolf' when ever he speaks?

That and everything is the most extreme example of a somewhat similar pattern. Every -epo is 1994. Every -NAO is 2010. Every full latitude trough is 1993.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, frd said:

I agree with Don. Like we were talking about before in long range models keep going to the enso sst analog look and missing the mjo influence muting that. If the mjo finally cooperates the look should finally come. 

30 minutes ago, frd said:

Interesting seems the way you get the effects onto the streams is just as important 

If more momentum is partitioned into northern stream, that would significantly reduce any NAO chances and likely bring more widespread warmth. Models are of course struggling here.

Not sure i get why you think it would hurt the NAO?  As shown, there is plenty of spacing for NAO to do its thing.  What am i missing/not seeing?   

4 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Not sure i get why you think it would hurt the NAO?  As shown, there is plenty of spacing for NAO to do its thing.  What am i missing/not seeing?   

Well HM said ( see below the Bolded part ) Beyond this only he can provide more into his thoughts on why. 

8 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

I didnt get what he was saying either. What i do like seeing in that animation is a sustained LP in the Aleutian region throughout the run. We may finally get a decent ridge position if it is right.